Airbrush compressor question?????

RichardH

Detail Decepticon!
I have a want/need for a compressor that meets my way of airbrushing. As of now I have a super silent 20 and a california air compressor.
The way I paint is I like to keep the air flowing and just pull back for paint most of the time.
With my age and finger, I like doing it this way. I can control the paint flow better this way than pushing down on the trigger and then pump back for paint flow. I either get too much or not enough paint flow.
I normally paint very early in the mornings cause my wife is not up yet and I need to be quiet when airbrushing. The Silent air works great for the noise but it constantly turns on and off to keep the tank filled. That isn't a problem keeping the tank filled but also wondering what is the pressure from full tank to when it needs filling back up. I can't tell using it that it makes a difference in pressure from full to when it needs filling back up but that is the way I am comfortable painting.
After she gets up, I can use the California air but it is a lot noisier but not a problem when she is up.
I've been looking at the cordless compressors and just wondering if anyone has used them.
Spraygunner has a few in stock with a brush. Not sure what is going on with them cause they are out of stock on most things.
Or maybe just get a tankless compressor if it is pretty quiet when running.?????
Any help in deciding which way to go would be helpful.
Hope I have explained well enough on how I use it.

Richard

The noname compressor really only run at about 15 to 20 PSI. The tankless build up a lot of moisture due to they are always running when air is on and also about the same PSI as the Noname battery operated one.
I use a silent air 50 The larger tank allows longer paint time before it kicks in. For clear coating or covering large areas I use my shop compressor 350 Gallon IR 2 phase But while it sits full of air most of the time I hardly have to kick it on.
But for silent running you already have it . You might look into adding a bigger tank to the silent aire 20 I have heard of people doing that .

The noname compressor really only run at about 15 to 20 PSI. The tankless build up a lot of moisture due to they are always running when air is on and also about the same PSI as the Noname battery operated one.
I use a silent air 50 The larger tank allows longer paint time before it kicks in. For clear coating or covering large areas I use my shop compressor 350 Gallon IR 2 phase But while it sits full of air most of the time I hardly have to kick it on.
But for silent running you already have it . You might look into adding a bigger tank to the silent aire 20 I have heard of people doing that .

Thanks Herb. I will look into adding a larger tank to the Silent air. I think I can pick up a larger tank at the pawn shop. That would be the kind that you can fill up and take with you. Not sure what fittings I would need for them to convert them to using it for airbrushing but will look into that idea.
I have some fittings that might work but wouldn't know until I had a chance to pick one up. Unscrew the needle valve and hope a 1/8 fitting would screw onto the fitting. ?????? The fitting used to pump it up would be the main one to work on ( I think ).

With air running all the time, you really have only one option - and that is to use a larger storage tank. Trying to use anything small compressor wise, will simply have them running all the time, and struggling to keep up with your demand for air. Heat and water followed by an early demise will be the result.

At some point, you may also want to look at a brush like a Hansa 281, or Grafo T series ( I like the Hansa better, as it is a little smaller). They feature fixed double action triggers, which work simply by pulling them back. There is no pressing down. The first bit of movement starts air flow, followed by needle movement/paint flow. Once accustomed to the action, a very, very light touch can be used on the trigger, because all you have to do is pull it back...

You have had the Infinity, so you will feel right at home holding the Grafo - they start life using a common blank, and use the same nozzles, nozzle caps, and needles. The Hansa is a little smaller, by about 1/4" between trigger and tip, and uses different pieces up front. The triggers feels nothing like the Infinity's.

With air running all the time, you really have only one option - and that is to use a larger storage tank. Trying to use anything small compressor wise, will simply have them running all the time, and struggling to keep up with your demand for air. Heat and water followed by an early demise will be the result.

At some point, you may also want to look at a brush like a Hansa 281, or Grafo T series ( I like the Hansa better, as it is a little smaller). They feature fixed double action triggers, which work simply by pulling them back. There is no pressing down. The first bit of movement starts air flow, followed by needle movement/paint flow. Once accustomed to the action, a very, very light touch can be used on the trigger, because all you have to do is pull it back...

You have had the Infinity, so you will feel right at home holding the Grafo - they start life using a common blank, and use the same nozzles, nozzle caps, and needles. The Hansa is a little smaller, by about 1/4" between trigger and tip, and uses different pieces up front. The triggers feels nothing like the Infinity's.

Thanks Dave for the info. I'll check out what you have suggested also. It's kinda hard to explain how and what I would like but everything works here but would like something different for the way I paint.
Usually when painting, I hold the air on and just pull back on the trigger. This only happens about a couple of seconds or 4 or more seconds and then I release all back to normal. I'll check on the brushes you suggested. About the only thing that bothers me is the noise level on the California Air. Most of my painting is done in the early mornings when my wife is asleep. The Super silent works great on that time but the tank isn't large enough to hold air the way I intend to like.
Here lately I've been using Badger brushes totally just cause they feel better and operate better for me than the Infinity's.

I'll check on the Grafo if they use the same setups as the Infinity's. Got plenty of spare parts for them.

Thanks

Richard

I get'cha - whenever air is being released, it is a volume being used. It all adds up. Putting a large box around the California Air may help to deaden some of the sound.

Here's a Grafo T1 with an Infinity for comparison. That is an Infinity nozzle and needle cap I have installed on the Grafo.

grafo and infinity1.jpg

Last edited:
Back