airbrush decision

JimboH5

Double Actioner
Hello, all you wonderful peeps. I haven't been back on here since my introduction for joining. Joined because all my paint questions usually lead me to the forum. Well... as ALL presumed, I'm looking at another airbrush - for god sakes! Someone said the addiction begins... and I thought not and here we are. I haven't even used the Badger 250 I bought and asked about... but been playing with a cheap HF Badger 350 knock-off ( hope I have my numbers right ). Anyway, it's OK for what I've used it for so far. I'm now trying to use some acrylics ( DecoArt ) for a piece I'm doing. So, I'll be spraying craft ( fine arts acrylics as the store calls them ) to do a little shading - NOT the extraordinary work I've seen on here but just adding some iridescent coloring to one side a some trees that will be in this piece. I feel I'm going overboard but want to " paint " a picture of what I'm doing so that it is clear it is NOT fine detail work. I'm looking at Iwata CN or BCN... I like the idea of a 2oz. bottle from which to paint from on the BSN but wanted to ask the peeps for any info or experience about these brushes. Thanks for any advise.

I don't have bcn I have bcs. The problem with bottles is you need to reduce paint and you need to use it like in 72 hours(Createx)... That's why I like 1oz bottles more. If paint would be ready and reduction wouldn't be needed that would be great, but in my case that's not the case.

On the other hand I use smaller badger bottom cup which works great.
https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Company-4-Ounce-Color/dp/B000BRLIOO

H&S cup works to, and this solution was provided by some forum member, I forgot which one. He has nice blog about that.
https://avwairbrushworks.wordpress.com/2017/01/13/harder-and-steenbeck-siphon-cup/

In theory those iwata 2oz cups looks great, but for me practically using them is kinda tricky... Further more on those cups you always have left some color unused, cause that plastic suction hose can't pick up all the color.

It all depends. I guess it's a trade off. In my case I am planning to buy 5 pieces of badger or H&S cups so I can color change fast as soon I will test the H&S ones as well. In badger one I put usually around 50 drops of color+reduction, H&S still needs to be tested. Didn't yet order one to see, which one I like best.

I hope this helps a little.
Ps: Neo is not Iwata, it is made from some company for Iwata if I am not mistaken. Forum search about that.

Well... as ALL presumed, I'm looking at another airbrush - for god sakes! Someone said the addiction begins... and I thought not and here we are.

"Told you so" :p

Your paint will determine which brush is more suitable for purpose. Craft paint in general isnt suitable for airbrushes under .35 needle, the pigment in the paint is just way to big to physically pass through.

I'd say grab your badger and try that out, you have it so you have nothing to lose and you may save some $$ buying gear you dont need.

The two brushes that you are considering.

Iwata Neo C cup (CN) .35 needle
Iwata Neo Siphon (BCN) .5 needle

yes, Husky is correct, Neo is made FOR Iwata, not made BY Iwata

"Told you so" :p

Your paint will determine which brush is more suitable for purpose. Craft paint in general isnt suitable for airbrushes under .35 needle, the pigment in the paint is just way to big to physically pass through.

I'd say grab your badger and try that out, you have it so you have nothing to lose and you may save some $$ buying gear you dont need.

The two brushes that you are considering.

Iwata Neo C cup (CN) .35 needle
Iwata Neo Siphon (BCN) .5 needle
Thank god I went straight to eclipse or I would spend for one micron and I would end on eclipse :D

https://airbrushforum.org/gallery/photos/13538/
This piece was done w a harbor freight deluxe double action and some apple barrel craft paint.
Water it down, strain it and go to town.
Not as good as using real AB paint but it does work OK. Decoart is a bit better.
Their higher end stuff does work better than the 50 cent ones.
The enamels and multisuface paints work fine w water only....don't use a reducer or anything else on those ones as it extends the dry time dramatically for some.

Thanks to you both for the info. YES,,, the addiction has begun : ) I thought about trying that little badger to what it can do... for my purposes - a 1/4in width line to a 1 in. line would suffice. I've been reading - daily habit... on the use of acrylics for airbrushing. Seems a lot of modelers are using them because they are cheap. So far, have found that they reduce well with Wicked reducer ( no time frame on use I've read ?) and Vallejo airbrush thinner. I think I can find both.

Cool vintage piece there, RobbyRockett2... and really appreciate the craft paint info. I've got the DecoArt Media Fluid acrylics... thinner already than the regular stuff. You say don't use anything but water with the enamels or multi-surface?

Another thanks to JackEb for the tip sizes on those 2... think the larger tip would be better for the acrylics if my logic is accurate....

Cool vintage piece there, RobbyRockett2... and really appreciate the craft paint info. I've got the DecoArt Media Fluid acrylics... thinner already than the regular stuff. You say don't use anything but water with the enamels or multi-surface?
Yes I experimented with a few and some of the enamel and multisurface will take forever to dry w alcohol, wicked reducer, or acetone....go figure. They are fine reduced with straight water.

BTW I'd look at a badger 150 before I'd look at the neo's for down in that $60 range.
They aren't fancy, they aren't a new model but at least they are the real deal and one less purchase throwing money to China.
Also carry the lifetime warranty.

Last edited:
Well... as ALL presumed, I'm looking at another airbrush - for god sakes! Someone said the addiction begins... and I thought not and here we are. I haven't even used the Badger 250 I bought and asked about... but been playing with a cheap HF Badger 350 knock-off ( hope I have my numbers right ). Anyway, it's OK for what I've used it for so far. I'm now trying to use some acrylics ( DecoArt ) for a piece I'm doing. So, I'll be spraying craft ( fine arts acrylics as the store calls them ) to do a little shading - NOT the extraordinary work I've seen on here but just adding some iridescent coloring to one side a some trees that will be in this piece. I feel I'm going overboard but want to " paint " a picture of what I'm doing so that it is clear it is NOT fine detail work. I'm looking at Iwata CN or BCN... I like the idea of a 2oz. bottle from which to paint from on the BSN but wanted to ask the peeps for any info or experience about these brushes. Thanks for any advise.
Hahahahaha...... Yeah The ADDICTION is real. I just joined in August I believe with zero experience with doing any Of the arts. I started because I thought the idea of using an airbrush to create a painting for my wife for our 20 anniversary would be nice. Yesterday was our 16yr so I have time, since August I have purchased 2 RichPens (AB-100 & AB-200), 2 Grex’s (Genesis XB & XGi), and lastly an old Sears or Badger 150 they appear identical. Anyways most of the time I’m practicing with my Grex’s and Love them. I love the trigger design on them and then the RichPens for a lot of the really fine lines. Funny thing is I’ve been practicing face painting on my son for Halloween and he loves it.

For an easier life, look into using some specific acrylic airbrush paint as the pigment is ground finer, or go for something with a larger nozzle as you don't need detail. Nothing more frustrating than stopping every 2 mins to unblock your nozzle. Plus, don't know about the paints you're using, but if fading could be an issue, then a good ab paint is also lightfast.

Thanks Porkrind… you journey sounds like fun... especially the Halloween makeup. Squishy, thank you for the info and advice. I have since gotten some Aztek airbrush paints that apparently can be cleared with lacquer... haven't played with them yet but think I can mix what I want into them for my immediate needs; of course, as the addiction takes hold, I'm sure my creative desires will require more complex media... what I want to avoid at present : )

Aztek is a joy to use, probably my favorite for anything but the very finest of details. Excels especially on base and fills . The only reason I don't use it more is because it just doesn't work for every type of applicatio and I'm not too sure all colors are good for exterior work.

Mr. Rocket, you are rockin' it with assisting me and I appreciate it. I've not used it yet... hoping to use a couple colors in combination to help me obtain a sunset color and go over that with their clear with a ghost pearl; my imagination is behind my experience at present.

Hard to say if you'll like it as much. It sprays excellent, it's easy to get even and it stays flat or satiny and smooth like basecoats should which makes clearing it much easier imo.

Thanks much... that's my reasoning for starting with that brand as it seems reviewers agree it's easy to spray... got a couple ugly colors on the cheap to practice with.

Back