Airbrush Help...WHAT TO BUY?????????????

S

snoopy

Hi All,

I hope you have all seen some of my work so you know my style of art,

After listening to your advice i think i should consider getting better equipment!
Should i look at getting a better compressor or airbrush first?
Now, budget is tight so i need to consider things carefully!

as for airbrushes, i have spotted this ....

http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article.asp?a=8406

I can get this for around £50 and i like the fact it has changeable cup sizes. (anyone used one?)
it is supposed to preform better with low pressure air compressors, perfect for my setup i guess?? + 5 years warrenty.

or this...

http://www.iwata-medea.com/index.php/products/cr

This one is a little more pricey at around £80 - £85 and may be a little more than i have right now.
I would love to hear what you guys think, especially if you have used either or have more info you could share with me.

Thank you in advance guys
Snoopy

What tip size do you currently have?
And what paint you currently use?

If the paint is not fine enough it maybe wont go with a fine tip airbrush.

Going from a .4 setup to a .35 or .3 wont give that much of a difference, for example.

Bit more in depth info needed ;)

Budget wise, if your current compressor is able enough there is no direct need for a new one.
Fine tip airbrushes almost always will use less air that the big tip brothers. If paint and brush match well.

Last edited by a moderator:
What tip size do you currently have?
And what paint you currently use?

If the paint is not fine enough it maybe wont go with a fine tip airbrush.

Going from a .4 setup to a .35 or .3 wont give that much of a difference, for example.

Bit more in depth info needed ;)

Budget wise, if your current compressor is able enough there is no direct need for a new one.
Fine tip airbrushes almost always will use less air that the big tip brothers. If paint and brush match well.

Im currenty using watered down gouache but i will be looking to change paints to something that doesnt require as much layering too!

my airbrush at the moment is a £10 - £15 china job! and i think its .5

im so ignorant with all of this, i do apologise! its all new to me!

No need to apologise, all been there once ;)

Is there a model number on the brush or something?

often you will need to get closer to the work to get sharper details.
Also as you already noticed the paint gives you much overspray from the layering. Also because of the big needle (if that is so).

So instead of buying a new brush maybe first start on a new paint, look if that works better.
I think, dunno that stuff myself yet, that the gouache is giving you the most problems here.

So as Mitch also told you, I also think you would benefit the most for now if you buy better paints.
And save up some more to get a new good brush if needed. With at largest a .3 needle, but smaller gives more detail in your case.

Just my opinion anyways and what I have been reading all over the place haha... I still need to get started!!! aaaaah :s

If you want to stay in this price range go with the neo, but i think you will be limiting yourself in the same way as you are now. You would really benefit from a better brush like a iwata hi-line hp-cs or a micron. The mac valve will help you!! Also check out the badger renegade series these are great brushes for a cheap price. You absolutely need new paint and you have to have a compressor with a tank. With these components ESPECIALLY your artwork will become easier and limitless!!! Keep up the great work!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Cheers for the input guys.

I think the other brushes mentioned are a bit to pricey for me at the moment!

plus its all about baby steps and gradually get better (i think im tring to convince myself to buy the Neo)

If anyone had any detail shots that that have done with their brushed please post them for me to take a look.

Cheers

Then I will try to convince you to wait longer and buy a better ab! :p

You are way past the Neo stage! Neo is more a try out airbrush, but you already know you can do it.

I would go the easy way and first try better paint. Mostly you do not have funding now to upgrade it all.
Its easy to buy, dont takes all your funding and result should be fast.
Then if you are getting far better result go look for an airbrush with .3 or smaller needle.

Then I will try to convince you to wait longer and buy a better ab! :p

You are way past the Neo stage! Neo is more a try out airbrush, but you already know you can do it.

I would go the easy way and first try better paint. Mostly you do not have funding now to upgrade it all.
Its easy to buy, dont takes all your funding and result should be fast.
Then if you are getting far better result go look for an airbrush with .3 or smaller needle.

FirePanther
You are putting up a good argument!, my current airbrush has a plastic back piece (don't know the actual teminology) and feels cheap, i dont look forward to using it lets put it that way.

I still see me at entry level, i think with better paints and more instantaneous results my pictures will get alot worse before they get better as its going to be a new way of painting rather than building up layer upon layer for hours!

I'll hold out for a few days and read up on some more reviews about different airbrushes etc.

I think i have about £90 to get a brush and paints, if you see anything let me know :)

Cheers Matey

Snoopy,
In my opinion the hole story is simple. The most important thing about airbrush is the guy that is holding the AB and his skil.
What you showed in your post with this ( sorry to say so, simple) AB set is amazing and each work you showed is from a high standerd.
If you stil can improve and get better with this set, than you should whait maybe a bit longer to buy another AB so you can buy a good one that you realy whant and that match your skil, because so far i find your work awsome.

Hi Snoop
Well i think if you go for the Neo there is nothing wrong about it. And it is definetly not just a try out gun. I also have the Neo with gravity feed and 0.35 noozle, and also have a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline with a 0.15 noozle and the
Neo works almost as good as the Evolution. For sure its abit harder to get same small details with the Neo, but you can really do very fine stuff with it, special when you remove the needle cap so you can get even closer to the canvas. I also
started with a china airbrush that came in a starter set, and the Neo was really way better when i got it. I post a link here from a german airbrush magazin testing the Neo, even if you cant understand what he says, you will see in the video
the small details he is spraying. And they also came to the conclusion that its a very good brush, that can keep up with others that cost twice as much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw5-i2dTO0I

Just jump forward to 3:10 minutes to leave out the blah blah blah lol

Andreas

They also called it a hobby airbrush... For me I think Snoopy is wayyy past the Neo and can benefit from smaller needle sizes brushes the most. (after paint)
With the kind of work Snoopy now produces its a waste of money, and Snoopy should save up some more to get a bigger difference than he got now.
For all we know he is already on a .35 needle, we dont know the brush. Is there a way to tell?

Snoopy, try a diff paint and see if that helps, so we can see what you really are capable off.
Better change one thing at a time, I think, new paint will be a new way of airbrushing.
But what do I know, I am only the info guy lolll

Yes they said its also a perfect airbrush for the hobby airbrusher in the video. It was in a magazine itself where they wrote it keeps up with brushes around 130€ .Here in a german airbrush forum, almost everyone is using this airbrush next to their way more expensive airbrushes and they are all impressed that its that good for the price. I can only say for a example my china airbrush has a 0.2 nozzle but my Neo can do much much finer lines with the 0.35 nozzle. Another good airbrush i forgot in his price range is the Harder & Steenbeck Ultra with the 0.2mm nozzle. But i havent tried that out, but i guess its almost as good as the Evolution since it can fit the same nozzles and needles.

Hi Stranger375 (Andreas)

Thanks for that input, that is fantastic!!!

i was also looking at the Steenbeck Silverline evolution m, not sure i have the funds tho, is this a good airbrush???

well looks like the neo is one step closer to my hand :)

Thanks again

Hey Snoop, yes the Evolution is a very good airbrush. You dont have to get the Silverline M though since its a siphon feed airbrush and also comes with a 0.4 nozzle. If you are doing mostly portraits you are not in need of lots of color at a time in your airbrush. The Silverline M is more for T-shirt artists who are using more color and mostly not much thinned down. You could go for a Evolution Silverline Solo model with the 0,2mm nozzle, here in germany its about 115€ not sure how much it is in GB there.
Like i said the H&S Ultra is almost the same like the Evo, the only thing is you cannot remove the needle cap from the Ultra i see, so you cannot get as close to the canvas and paint as small details. Also its harder to clean the needle tip when you have tipdry. So if you feel that the Neo might limit you in the future, you should go for a Evolution Silverline then, this one wont limit you for sure, they are fantastic airbrushes. And H&S offers complete needle and nozzle packs, so you can also get a 0.15mm to a 0.4mm later on if you have the need for that so you can change. There is also a Evolution Silverline 2 in one, that already comes with 2 needle nozzle sizes for around 150€ , but i guess thats not in your budget already anymore.

But im sure whatever airbrush you are going to buy, it will be a big improvement to your airbrush that you use now ;)

They also called it a hobby airbrush... For me I think Snoopy is wayyy past the Neo and can benefit from smaller needle sizes brushes the most. (after paint)
With the kind of work Snoopy now produces its a waste of money, and Snoopy should save up some more to get a bigger difference than he got now.
For all we know he is already on a .35 needle, we dont know the brush. Is there a way to tell?

Snoopy, try a diff paint and see if that helps, so we can see what you really are capable off.
Better change one thing at a time, I think, new paint will be a new way of airbrushing.
But what do I know, I am only the info guy lolll

Yes they said its also a perfect airbrush for the hobby airbrusher in the video. It was in a magazine itself where they wrote it keeps up with brushes around 130€ .Here in a german airbrush forum, almost everyone is using this airbrush next to their way more expensive airbrushes and they are all impressed that its that good for the price. I can only say for a example my china airbrush has a 0.2 nozzle but my Neo can do much much finer lines with the 0.35 nozzle. Another good airbrush i forgot in his price range is the Harder & Steenbeck Ultra with the 0.2mm nozzle. But i havent tried that out, but i guess its almost as good as the Evolution since it can fit the same nozzles and needles.

Guys, i have in my hand a neo for IWATA and have ordered some createx paints!
I managed to pick one up for £47 i figured at that price it was worth a punt as the button on my chinese airbrush is a bit jumpy/rigid anyway.

I have listened to all the advise tho and i have started my 'airbrush fund' saving jar :)
I think i should put a little aside each month and save up for a pro airbrush so once i have enough funds i'll be pestering you all to spend it for me again!

so for now, lets see how the NEO holds up :)

Thank you everyone that offered input and advise!

Snoopy

Congrats to the Neo snoop, and im sure you wont regret the 47 pounds you spent on it. Even if you get a pro airbrush one day, the Neo will be a perfect 2nd airbrush.

Andreas

Glad to hear you went for it. I have been seeing your work, and look forward to see how it goes. The layering of paint issue you're going through may throw you off a bit when you get some paint that will sit on top of the surface, but if you reduce the crap out of it at first, you should be able to ease into the transition. Over reducing can give you adhesion issues on hard surfaces, but on canvas or paper like surfaces you should be o.k., I have really thinned out my paint way beyond recommended and no issues, yet. Be sure to test spray before you do anything you want to keep, just to be safe.

Your work speaks volumes, keep it up.

Glad to hear you went for it. I have been seeing your work, and look forward to see how it goes. The layering of paint issue you're going through may throw you off a bit when you get some paint that will sit on top of the surface, but if you reduce the crap out of it at first, you should be able to ease into the transition. Over reducing can give you adhesion issues on hard surfaces, but on canvas or paper like surfaces you should be o.k., I have really thinned out my paint way beyond recommended and no issues, yet. Be sure to test spray before you do anything you want to keep, just to be safe.

Your work speaks volumes, keep it up.

Thank you :)

you,ll love the paint to. even though i now use auto air and wicked. (made by same companny) i started with createx. and still use it on non auto projects. and it can be heat set for t shirts to. i,m sure you,ll love your new ab. let us know how it goes for you.

Back