Airbrush medium and flow aid

L

Lt4-396

I'm switching my paint from CI to comart and really like how comart sprays but I can't find their trans base anywhere.

Who uses a trans base with comart like golden medium or CI trans base or any other brand and what ratios do you use?

Since comart is thinned with water if needed does anyone use a flow agent of any kind? If so what ratios and do you always add the flow agent or is it mixed in with your water and is only used when reducing.

I know people say to use glycerin or dish soap to aid in flow but I would rather stick to a dedicated product ex. Winsor & newton flow medium.

I'm switching my paint from CI to comart and really like how comart sprays but I can't find their trans base anywhere.

Who uses a trans base with comart like golden medium or CI trans base or any other brand and what ratios do you use?

Since comart is thinned with water if needed does anyone use a flow agent of any kind? If so what ratios and do you always add the flow agent or is it mixed in with your water and is only used when reducing.

I know people say to use glycerin or dish soap to aid in flow but I would rather stick to a dedicated product ex. Winsor & newton flow medium.
Hello if you want stop looking for "magic tricks" to your paints flow always remember to use mediums produced by the same company. I can give you two my favorite one Holbain Acrylic Ink mixed whit Colorless or Golden High Flow whit Airbrush transparen extender ( i thing they chanege name on High Flow medium). And remember to use only organic pigments since they are grinde very fine...

That's the thing I can not find comart trans base so my only option is to experiment. The link that was posted by the time it's shipped to the usa would be extremely expensive, if that's my only option then sooner or later I'll buy it but I have createx trans and CI trans so I'll try those first but was wondering what other people are using.

It's weird that you can't get comart trans in the usa.

I'm looking into golden as an option but there are a few different products made by them ,trans base, flow release then all the different liquidtex products.

I will be trying the two createx trans bases tonight and see if they mix well.

That's the thing I can not find comart trans base so my only option is to experiment. The link that was posted by the time it's shipped to the usa would be extremely expensive, if that's my only option then sooner or later I'll buy it but I have createx trans and CI trans so I'll try those first but was wondering what other people are using.

I'm looking into golden as an option but there are a few different products made by them ,trans base, flow release then all the different liquidtex products.

I've used the liquitex airbrush medium with the com art paints my Iwata came with and never had any problems. I only switched to Wicked because I could easily find it locally. Then recently started working more with CI.

If I'm not mistaken, the liquitex ab medium is a mixture of their trans base, flow aid, and slow-dri retarder that help with flow and tip dry. Might be worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you put in the basket all the things that you will be buying/trying/ time etc, will be cheaper to buy in the link above! Besides it was cheaper for me and I live at the end of the world "literally speaking!!

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Is the liquidtex airbrush medium is all three of those combined that sounds like the thing to use.
If I were to order the comart trans that would be the only I would order so it doesn't really pay when something else will work just as good.

I mixed some comart with CI trans in one container and comart CI trans and water in another and they mixed fine, I'm going to leave it for an hour then see if it sprays good.

@Joe A did you ever scratch/ erase using the liquidtex medium? That would be my only concern, hopefully this CI mixture will work out so I can keep the scratch/erase ability.

@Joe A did you ever scratch/ erase using the liquidtex medium? That would be my only concern, hopefully this CI mixture will work out so I can keep the scratch/erase ability.

I never tried any of those techniques as I was just learning but I still have some. When I get off from work I will do some swatches so you can see what it looks like.

What substrate do you use? I have gessoed hardboard, yupo, and 205 illustration board readily available. Let me know which ones you'd like to see, or I may just do one of each anyway.

I use mostly clayboard and yupo so if you could test out the gesso and yupo that would be amazing.

I mostly use Faber Castell pink and white, scalpel and a fiberglass scratch brush but whatever you have available really would be great.

If it's not to much could you do straight comart vs some mixed with the liquidtex. I know it's alot to ask, so whatever is easier/ quicker for you.

I use mostly clayboard and yupo so if you could test out the gesso and yupo that would be amazing.

I mostly use Faber Castell pink and white, scalpel and a fiberglass scratch brush but whatever you have available really would be great.

If it's not to much could you do straight comart vs some mixed with the liquidtex. I know it's alot to ask, so whatever is easier/ quicker for you.

I've got those. [emoji1360][emoji1362]

I got you covered buddy.

Not sure the condition of my fiberglass scratch brush though. It broke the first time I used it so I had to use tape to keep the back end from popping off.

The plastic housing broke or the fiberglass broke?
The plastic housing broke

Do they make a metal housing? The one I got was the short $5 red one on Amazon. Any recommendations on a better one?

I use the 1/16 "extra thin" one from amazon it's the smallest one available which is a tiny bit smaller than the 2mm version.

Depending on what size yours is I've seen metal charcoal holders that work fine holding the fiberglass.

The one I have is also a full length piece of fiberglass roughly 4 inches long, I've seen some that are only 1-1.5 inches long.

I've dropped mine a few times and stepped on it a bunch and it still looks brand new.

I use the 1/16 "extra thin" one from amazon it's the smallest one available which is a tiny bit smaller than the 2mm version.

Depending on what size yours is I've seen metal charcoal holders that work fine holding the fiberglass.

The one I have is also a full length piece of fiberglass roughly 4 inches long, I've seen some that are only 1-1.5 inches long.

I've dropped mine a few times and stepped on it a bunch and it still looks brand new.

Is that the blue one?

Okay so here is what I got.

Also, take this with a grain of salt as I struggle ALWAYS with yupo, but the ab medium made me say some words I haven't said in a while. lol

Oops. Fat finger syndrome fired that off too quick. I promise, I never fire off prematurely. [emoji102]

Last edited:
Let me try that again. I was running low on paint so I had to do lines instead of swatches as intended but hopefully this helps.

e3723bee7525a4dea1e5f6c85a2dc443.jpg
8d0dc5fdac835bd5cc9b5056c682e42d.jpg
c12185d8c39ede8faa36ec40037f4b27.jpg
5cdcdd0027b29c9b8262f8f0fd31b565.jpg
e321af741dc5e85891a515bfa4315bae.jpg

The first three are the gessoed hb. Last one is a piece of 74# yupo. I noticed that while the com art took longer to dry with the medium, once dried, it was more durable. Even on the yupo. Don't think I'd have the patience for that on the yupo though.

Oh I forgot...the first two lines on the gessoed are straight com art. Bottom two are reduced 4 to 1 and 9 to 1 respectively. Same goes for the yupo except I only did the one thick line of straight com art.

Last edited:
Also, looks like the medium slightly skewed the color. Looks darker on the paper but lighter in the cup. I have to add that I had no tip dry at anytime with either set. Shot at 15-20 psi through my Iwata hp-sb plus

334f2b4d9238c623351bd1fc3334708b.jpg

Back