Airbrush paper ?

A

atom

Hi you all, I am new to airbrushing. I am having a bad time with adhesive stencils placed on different papers. When I remove some of the cut-out pieces of the stencils some of the paper will come off with the stencil and destroy the painting. I have tried removable (replaceable adhesive) adhesives and I also have a vinyl cutter and cut my own stencils, I have tried Poster board, different airbrush papers, foam board and 110 lb card stock and some paper will come off with all of what I have used. Is there a solution to my problem? Thanks, Atom

Any paper will peel when you put adhesive stencils on it.
Clear coat the paper . I suggest a flat clear or semi gloss.
Also depending on the vinyl you have picked out the adhesive may be stronger the the ultra low tack is. Put the sticker on your clothes so it makes it less sticky.

Oh welcome home..

Yeah what he said.

I have also painted poster board with a spray can, be gently to avoid warping, and then its like working on a hard surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Mr.Micron and wmlepage. I haven't tried the clear coat, is the clear coat the one used on cars or is it one that is in a spray can? What have you all found to be the best to use? As to the vinyl I use a low tack type that I use for sandblasting on glass and found it to remove easier on paper then the low tack sprays I have used. I do think that the clear coat will do the trick. Thanks again for the info, Atom

Thanks Mr.Micron and wmlepage. I haven't tried the clear coat, is the clear coat the one used on cars or is it one that is in a spray can? What have you all found to be the best to use? As to the vinyl I use a low tack type that I use for sandblasting on glass and found it to remove easier on paper then the low tack sprays I have used. I do think that the clear coat will do the trick. Thanks again for the info, Atom

Being on paper rattle can works great and easier on the pocket.

Thanks Squishy, I'm on my way to pick-up a can of clear and give it a try and Thanks to all on this. Atom

I have also used repositionable spray adhesive on a stencil on newsprint paper, I spray it the pat it down with a paper towel while it is wet so it removes some of the tac. Sometimes I have to hold some of the edges while painting in that area but it seems to work for me.

Thanks jgny1, I did buy clear coat in a spray can today. I sprayed a piece of foam board also 110 lb. card stock and after 2 hr. I cut some piece of vinyl and stuck it to the sprayed board and card stock. I have removed several pieces of the vinyl and (after 2 hrs.) thy are coming off clean and not pulling the paper with it. I will try to paint on the board also to see how it takes the paint. Also I will let the vinyl stay tacked to the board and card stock for a day or two to see if the adhesive is going to set. Then I will see if the vinyl will come off with out removing the paper with it. This seems to be working so far. Again, Thanks to you all for your help on this, Atom

Last edited by a moderator:
The only time I've ever had paper lifting was when I cut too deep through the frisket into the paper. The way I trained myself not to cut too deep was to practice in plain photocopy paper.

Thanks for the suggestion AndreZA, I use a vinyl cutter most of the time. I first work the photo in Corel Draw then send it to the vinyl cutter. I cut only the basic lines then place transfer paper on the vinyl and take the none stick paper off the vinyl and place it on the paper or foam board and remove the transfer paper then start the airbrushing as I weed the vinyl. I only cut by hand when I need to. Your suggestion is totally correct as I have done that in the past. I do sandcarving and we use mask, so I have had my share of hand cutting mask or templates and know your suggestion is correct. I do thank you for the suggestion, Atom

What vinyl are you using? I have seen it recommended to use the reposition-able wall mural vinyl. Like Oracal 631.

Hi wmlepage, The vinyl I use is Avery White Painters Mask. Most manufacturers make a Painters Mask. This mask has a low tack like painting masking tape that is removable with out taking the paint off with it. Atom

Hi wmlepage, The vinyl I use is Avery White Painters Mask. Most manufacturers make a Painters Mask. This mask has a low tack like painting masking tape that is removable with out taking the paint off with it. Atom

Ok just checking.

Hi guys, I'm in a similar position to atom, I'm new and I'm trying to airbrush onto 250grm card using Createx low tack masking film and an Xacto swivel knife. I found out the hard way about applyng the right amount of pressure with the knife but the paper still rips when I remove the film. After reading this thread I went to a few art shops in Glasgow looking for 'clear coat' but I didn't really know what I was looking for and neither did any of the shop assistants (the usual response was, a sharp intake of breath followed by - "I wouldn't do that if I were you...". Is 'Clear Coat' an American brand name? Is it specifically for primimg card/paper? Where can you buy it - Art stores, DIY stores? Will Com-Art paints adhere to it? A friend has also tried to help by giving my a blank canvas but I don't know if this needs to be prepared in some way also.

Lastly, how long can you leave masking film on? I watched Dan Nelson's Youtube video "Part 5 Cutting the frisket" he cuts every piece out first (which must take hours) then he removes an intricate piece of cut frisket, airbrushes the work then replaces that piece and moves onto the next.

Back