Airbrush Recomendations

S

Stan

Hi all,
I am returning my Badger Krome for a refund as there are problems with it and want to purchase another airbrush for fine line work i.e. .2 size nozzle. I have already purchased second hand an Iwata HP C+ from tufty on ebay and this has the .3 needle. I want to incorporate its use in my art ( Normal Brushwork) but I am inexperienced. The idea is to practice with the larger needle airbrush and then practice using the fine line airbrush when proficiant and then use them with my other mediums like watercolour and acrylic paintings particularly wild life.. I also need the airbrush to paint in backgrounds as well so an .5 needle would be usefull as well. Should I go for an airbrush that comes with both needle sizes or go for indepent airbrush's?? I have a limited budget but when I get my refund I may be able to stretch to around the £200 mark. The attached picture is an example of what I intend to use the airbrush for in my art, this is a robin I completed some in Pastel pencil with background. only been brush painting a year so still getting the hang of things. I want to be able to use the airbrush to put in the background and branches, leaves flowers etc.I am in the process of completing a horse portrait where the back ground is done useing an airbrush which I may post up after the weekend when completed. any help would be greatly appreciated. I have looked at H&S evolution and also Iwata but not the micron way too expensive and advanced for me. I would rather buy decent tackle rather than cheap tack. Thanks in advance

Stan
.robin 1.jpg

Your HP C+ should be able to lay in a nice background already with the 0.3mm setup so i dont think you will need a 0.5mm so badly. Also after you get the hang to controll the airbrush
you will be able to paint very fine details with this airbrush. I would suggest to save the money for now and see how the HP C+ works for you. Maybe you dont even need to buy another
airbrush with a finer tip anymore then. About the H&S evolution, i have that airbrush in the 2in1 setup and i love mine, but also some other people have problems with their models. You
also have to be aware with a finer tip then 0.3 the thinning of the paint is a very important factor then. If the paint is still abit too thick you mostly paint less details then you would be
able to do with the HP C+ . I have a Iwata Eclipse and also a Neo for Iwata, both with a 0.35mm setup and they both can produce amazing details too.
Anyway just go and practice with your HP C+ and you will be amazed about the details you can get after you learned the controll :)

Oh and that brush painting is great :)

Hi stan glad to see you've joined the forum its great here.Sorry to here about the hassle with the badger.Some airbrushes can interchange needle/nozzle set ups so someone on here may know which iwatas can, it may be worth when your ready to buy a .2 to fit the hp c plus if it has an option for that.Nice to see you here. Tufty

I think more often than not, too much much emphasis is put on needle and nozzle size for detail work. There are a variety of factors that influence how much detail you can extract from a given airbrush and nozzle/needle set up. Highest on that list is the artist's own ability to control the brush. The work horse in my collection is an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS by far (.35 needle). I can obtain almost the same detail with the Eclipse as I can with my Micron's. It will also cover large areas easily. When working on larger scale, I find there is no need to use a finer brush. I would encourage you to master the fundamentals with the brush you have... I think you will be impressed with your own ability through practice and may find you don't need a finer brush after all!

My intent is not to talk you out of buying another airbrush (one can never have too many)... But, with a little more time you might have a better idea of what you really do need.

HP-c comes with a .30 than you buy the needle nozzle set up for the HP-A .20 you can do the same thing with the Hi line series .
this set up is know as the poor man's micron , For the most part it works great.

HP-c comes with a .30 than you buy the needle nozzle set up for the HP-A .20 you can do the same thing with the Hi line series . this set up is know as the poor man's micron , For the most part it works great.
Stan, told you someone would know lol. Thanks micron.You will come to realise all answers can be found here through the knowledge of eveyone here.

Stan, told you someone would know lol. Thanks micron.You will come to realise all answers can be found here through the knowledge of eveyone here.

Does that make us the collective ? Being we are a collective of all thing airbrush... :D

Also one trick I left out is the taller trigger, Mainly because I forget which trigger some use when the switch out to the .2 set up.
Price wise way cheaper than buying a true Micron , But A Micron has a larger air chamber to allow better atomization of the paint.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I have returned the Krome today and will defintaly be staying with Iwata. I know the Krome is a good airbrush but with all the problems with them and getting them sorted I would rather stay with Iwata. I love the HP c+ by the way Tufty. I will take on board the help and advice and see how I get on with my HP C+. Thanks again Tufty for all your help and for pointing me in the forums direction , top man. I've ordered some com art paint as well today:D It's nice to know I can add to the HP C+ at a later date so thats the way to go for me. Thanks again everyone.
Cheers
Stan

The taller trigger mod is great, I used the foam pads that go on the feet of furniture to protect wooden floors. I put the sticky backs together then siliconed it to my trigger. A lot more control, I did have it on the hp c + but took it off before sending it.

The taller trigger mod is great, I used the foam pads that go on the feet of furniture to protect wooden floors. I put the sticky backs together then siliconed it to my trigger. A lot more control, I did have it on the hp c + but took it off before sending it.

No you didnt take it off mi duck :joyous: you probably thought you did but really glad you left it on for me its great:joyous:

No you didnt take it off mi duck :joyous: you probably thought you did but really glad you left it on for me its great:joyous:
This acrylic paints getting to me I'm thinking I'm doing things now! Lol

Back