Airbrush setup

A

american.chaos

Hello everyone..im new here and my name is Brandon, i am an American from Pittsburgh, PA and I live in Nuremberg, Germany and work in a tuning garage..that specialize in pro hopper hydrolics and lowriders, all types of tuning and just normal everyday maintenence. ..but anyways to my question...I am interest in starting to learn how to airbrush, but have no idea where to start for what do buy..I will be mostly wanting to do airbrushing on helmets and car parts, inside and outsideof vehicle. What would you all hrre recommend for a basic setup to start learning? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Hello, and welcome! Everyone I think is going to have a certain favorite airbrush or brand they like, I myself like Iwata. Their, HPCH is great. I know a lot of people like the krome, that works nicely too. If your just starting and want to see if its your thing, look at the iwata eclipse. Also, the compressor, you don't want a too small of a compressor, that it craps out and frustrates you, i have a CA Air tools, but Other people may be able to offer you others that are a little cheaper. As for paints, i would go with comart, easy paints to work with, though those can't be used to work on metal, I believe they might have a line for that though. I would practice on paper first. Then get some Airbrush cleaner and give it go!

Airbrushes:
http://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=32

Paints:

http://www.coastairbrush.com/categories.asp?cat=91

Compressors:

http://www.coastairbrush.com/categories.asp?cat=13

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Brandon!! I use a Badger Krome, and Wicked paint. Love what I have, wouldnt change a thing!!

Welcome to the forum from NH. I would look into shops in the UK and the Netherlands, or even right in Germany,much closer to you . Iwata, And Harder and Steenbeck will be the easiest to get for you for airbrushes. H&S are German made. Iwata is Japanese. Badger parts and brushes tend to be a bit harder to come by in that part of the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Brandon, welcome from the uk. As already mentioned everyone has their favourites for personal reasons, the type of painting that they do etc. For example a T-shirt artist will use a certain type of brush as it suits the medium. I mostly paint bikes and helmets, but also like to dabble in other things. I use an Iwata HP-CS, as I think it's a great performing gun for the money, (the best I can afford, but really a great brush, good for beginners but as you improve, you won't outgrow it as performs so well, and can produce fine detail when you have developed the skilss) is versatile, and is comfortable to hold for me etc, and Wicked Paints as again, they are versatile, can be used on many surfaces, and is also light fast which is great for automotive painting.

Whatever you choose, go for a recognised brand. There is nothing more frustrating than getting something cheap just to try out, and getting nowhere because the brush performs poorly, and you don't know if it's your lack of skill or the brush that's to blame. Learning is much easier with a quality brush. The machine quality is poor, the seals cheap and prone to swelling with any kind of solvent, and needles soft and easily damaged. A cheap one may work well for a short time if you are lucky and get a good one, but it will need replacing sooner or later, and is a false economy. It is also much easier to buy spares for brand guns. Also, for the type of painting you want to do, I would suggest a gravity fed gun, some people don't like having to look over the cup, although it has never bothered me, but a side cup may suit in that case. If noise is not an issue a regular compressor that you can get in any hardwear store is fine as long as noise isn't an issue (you probably have one at your work?). The paint you go with, depends on whether you want uro or waterbased. Unless you have a proper booth or can set up something, and have a dedicated space away from other people, then I would go for waterbased. Most people do these days. And as I mentioned, you will want something light fast. Don't forget the appropriate reducer, people here have recipes and you can do a search for them, but I find the one made for the paint usually works best and can have other benefits. I use the W500 reducer for the Wicked paint, as it also helps with paint flow, tip dry, and tougher curing.

Good luck.

Hi Brandon, I use Badger Velocity's and Wicked Detail (transparents) . Many will recommend either Iwata, Badger, or Harder & Stenbeck all good quality.

Back