Airbrush specs

M

Max Chickens

Hey again guys...

just looking at potential airbrushes online, just wondering if someone could explain the what these specs mean??

paint tip (.21mm, .33mm)
Linear Air Flow Angle (eg 6 degrees)
spray pattern (eg hairline 1" pencil line 1 1/5")

Ive never airbrushed before and i wanted to dish out and get something pretty decent...just so i dont end up having to buy something better after only a few months...so was looking at the Badger Rengade Velocity untill i found this quote on their site "The Renegade airbrushes aren't for everybody - they are for the proven elite artist"

Pretty off putting...is there a reason i shouldn't get this airbrush?

Hi personaly I would buy the badger ase quality will aid you in learning because you will always be able to count on the trigger letting paint flow at the same position. Cheaper airbrushes can be frustraiting as the trigger will let paint through at different positions and trust me that is realy bad to learn with .
A quality airbrush is easy to get used to as your brain learns the trigger and becomes second nature , that means you only have to work on tecnique and not fight the trigger.
I personaly use an iwata evolution suction feed with a .5 needle setup and it is a joy to use compared to my no name cheapy .
So the key I think is the dependability of a good brush not the fact that you are just starting out .
A pro airbrush is also a beginner one, good brands dont have to be expensive as they have a large range .

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Tapatalk

Hey again guys...

just looking at potential airbrushes online, just wondering if someone could explain the what these specs mean??

paint tip (.21mm, .33mm) the thinner the tip (needle needs to match it), the finer the detail. But you need to work at it to get the control at the distance it requires to work so fine.
Linear Air Flow Angle (eg 6 degrees) actually never heard of this
spray pattern (eg hairline 1" pencil line 1 1/5") It just saying what is the thinnest and the widest a certain needle/nozzle set-up can spray

Ive never airbrushed before and i wanted to dish out and get something pretty decent...just so i dont end up having to buy something better after only a few months...so was looking at the Badger Rengade Velocity untill i found this quote on their site "The Renegade airbrushes aren't for everybody - they are for the proven elite artist" You will need to practice before you get all the potential out of an airbrush. With the detail brushes like the Renegades and Microns, you will need to know how to work with paint consistency and air pressure

Pretty off putting...is there a reason i shouldn't get this airbrush? Does it come with both size needle/nozzles? Then I don't see why you can't get it. Run it with the bigger set-up for a while and then change to the finer set-up when you are more confident.

My answer above in red.

Sweet, thanks guys, thanks heaps of help, it's given me alot to go on...

standby for more questions, haha

I have learned when I first started dabbling in photography and I'm going to use the same analogy with airbrushing. The airbrush is just a machine or tool, it is what you make of it that is what counts. I personally like the Iwata Eclipse. But before that I was a die hard Badger fan. But I have seen people do beautiful things with other brushes too. So it's what you do with it that counts.

As far as buying off line, I am still old school in that matter for the simple fact is that I want someone to answer my questions right then and there. I want to hold it in my hand and see how the trigger feels. Kind of like kicking the tires on a new car. So I would recommend going to your local art store and talking to someone there.

I have learned when I first started dabbling in photography and I'm going to use the same analogy with airbrushing. The airbrush is just a machine or tool, it is what you make of it that is what counts. I personally like the Iwata Eclipse. But before that I was a die hard Badger fan. But I have seen people do beautiful things with other brushes too. So it's what you do with it that counts.

As far as buying off line, I am still old school in that matter for the simple fact is that I want someone to answer my questions right then and there. I want to hold it in my hand and see how the trigger feels. Kind of like kicking the tires on a new car. So I would recommend going to your local art store and talking to someone there.

You are 100% with this Pauly. I dabbled in photography myself and my best shots came from a "in-between" camera. But it's not always the person holding the tool. You do get bad tools. You mentioned known and good brands. You also get these Chinese knock-offs and although some are good, many are bad. So no amount of talent will get good results from a bad airbrush. Even known brands have some bad apples.

Ive never airbrushed before and i wanted to dish out and get something pretty decent...just so i dont end up having to buy something better after only a few months...so was looking at the Badger Rengade Velocity untill i found this quote on their site "The Renegade airbrushes aren't for everybody - they are for the proven elite artist"

Pretty off putting...is there a reason i shouldn't get this airbrush?

No, there's no Reason - I've heard great things about those airbrushes.
I don't believe you need to be great with an airbrush to use a good airbrush. same as cars.. anyone can drive them - up to you which one you drive, some better than others

I stand corrected. AndreZA, you are absolutely right. This is why I don't like buying off the internet. Go to an art store, not a hobby shop and get good counsel. It will help.

I stand corrected. AndreZA, you are absolutely right. This is why I don't like buying off the internet. Go to an art store, not a hobby shop and get good counsel. It will help.
@ pauly and AndreZA , he doesnt need to go to a local supply store to get good council, thats what we are here for!!! lol!!! I totally agree with all of these guys, max!!! Its not the sword its the swordsman. X caliber was just a sword, lancelot made it the greatest sword ever!! you should really listen to all of us who use them day in and day out and that you know for a fact we know what we are talking about as apposed to the 16 year old kid at the hobby lobby they put in charge of the whole art department because he got a A- on his last report card in art class!!! lol just a joke!! at the very least these questions and answers will help you when you do go in to a store!! These guys on here know their stuff and this is the beauty of this forum!!, we are not gonna hold back on little tips and tricks cause we are worried about someone getting better than us as artists, like the big name guys who make you pay for a little knowledge and a whole lot of product advertisement!!! at least for me i want to see every one get better cause i like seeing beautifull, amazing,cool awesome art and im all in for anyone who want to have fun and create some with me!!!

Thanks guys......thats heaps of help....just ordered the Ecipse HP-CS......should arrive any time now....just gonna go and sit on my mail box...

Cheers.

Back