Airbrush splash

Pascal-A

Gravity Guru
Airbrushing is still new to me and hard to learn and that's why I tried something simple.
Everything went fine, I made my own template-shape and when I wanted to add the text "Hi !", I got this splash.
I don't know what I have to change, is it the red paint? Is it thinner than other paint? Or the presure? Paint in the tip of te pistol?
How do I prevent this as much as possible?
It's not a masterpiece, but it was almost finished when the splash happened ...
-> see picture

Airbrushing.jpg

I would guess to much pressure(or to reduced paint for that pressure) for the distance you were using, when shooting that part when splash happened. It could also be when you get tip dry and you need to pull the trigger more to get the same amount of paint spraying and suddenly bunch of color comes out of the airbrush. This is just my wild guess. I am sure others will know for sure.

I use little artistic brush, people use finger nails, they also use toothbrush. Bunch of different ways people combat this. I am sure people will give you few tips about that. They also use for god sake I forgot how they are called, those thingies which you use for cleaning your ear. But I think they have the ones with paper stick not plastic. Are they called cotton buds? Dunno lol

055b6985-c846-4459-9091-ac000d46f51f-e342e7de-083c-4dde-b470-420d0e81071b-shutterstock-1502799767.jpg

like these, but I don't have a clue where they buy the ones with paper stem? :whistling:

055b6985-c846-4459-9091-ac000d46f51f-e342e7de-083c-4dde-b470-420d0e81071b-shutterstock-1502799767.jpg

like these, but I don't have a clue where they buy the ones with paper stem? :whistling:

Yes, I have that but wasn't sure to use them because maybe the end is too fluffy, I don't know.
Isn't the sharp nozzle ending also not very sensitive? I don't want to damage it.

This is what Husky is trying to explain
https://fb.watch/63QxrkMVJQ/

I’d agree with the ‘paint to thin/pressure to high’ comments above.
when seeking help it’s useful for us if you include the following details
What substrate (paper/yupo/hard surface.
What paint and how much reduction
What psi

:)

Last edited:
Excess paint buildup or ‘spidering” could be several things:

1) You’re releasing too much paint too close to the surface and/or not moving the airbrush quickly enough for the amount of paint that it’s delivering. Solution to this is develop more precise trigger control and develop an intuition for just how much paint you need to release, height above surface and speed of brush movement for a given desired spray pattern.

2) The paint is too thin for the surface. Reformulate your paint consistency to be slightly thicker, then try again. Again it’s been said before, but typically you want paint with about the consistency of milk in order to run properly through an airbrush.

3) Your air pressure may be a little too high for fine detail work. Reduce your air pressure slightly. Most airbrushes work very well between approximately 20 to 30 psi.

4) The airbrush must be kept in motion whenever the trigger is commanded to release paint. A typical mistake is to hold the brush still pull back on the trigger, and then begin the motion of the stroke. In addition remember the old saying “air on first, air off last”. If you pull the trigger back, then push down for air and begin the stroke you can cause splotches or spidering at the start and finish up your stroke. Again it all just takes practice to overcome this tendencies.

I also use the cotton buds to clean the cub.
But I want to say one more time that you have to wet them beforehand !!!
Loose fibers in the airbrush are a nightmare.

Water in your air hose can also cause these problems.

Thank you for the info.
Then it's probably beginners mistakes. Not cleaning the tip enough during airbrushing. I am always afraid it will damage the point.
And not moving enough with the airbrush.

Thank you for the info.
Then it's probably beginners mistakes. Not cleaning the tip enough during airbrushing. I am always afraid it will damage the point.
And not moving enough with the airbrush.

Once upon cleaning off to build up on the needle: are usually keep a cotton ball soaked an airbrush cleaner nearby where I can then periodically dab the needle tip into that and that removes the paint quite well.

Just keep painting.
Before you know it, you'll be cleaning the needle without thinking about it.
When I've cleaned my needle I always give a few puffs of air.
away from my painting. to blow the loose paint and moisture off my needle.
It's just part of the routine.

Back