Airbrush to paint bodies for Rc cars

J

jay pee

Hello guys, I want to buy an airbrush to start painting Rc cars, I'm new to all this and at this moment I'm trying to get as much info as possible before I purchase one. Thanks guys

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jay Pee

First of all welcome to the forum.

The answer to your question is not that simple, do you intend to only paint your model car bodies, or do wish to do other things, like some of the amazing stuff you will see on here.

Any of the real name brushes you can see on this forum would suit your purpose, and since I paint and fly model aircraft, I understand that most of what you will be doing involves more masking than free hand, tip size is not an issue.

My advice is first have a look through the "what airbrush do yo have" section and get to know what's out there, if you plan to go further than just your models, e.g. fine detail artwork and so on, something 0.2 - 0.3 tip is a good all-rounder.

Have a look at something you think you may like and just run it by us, we will tell you if it suits you specific needs before you go wasting money.

What you must not do is buy foreign no name stuff, this is false economy and parts are scarce.

As well as the above mentioned, in addition to an airbrush, you would also need a compressor and all the other stuff that goes with it, it can be very expensive to get set up.

I would assume that you also ride or race model cars and you want to make these presentable, if this is the case, you would be amazed what you can do with a simple spray can, I'm a member of a model building forum involving all kinds of rc including cars, planes and even long distance lorries, on that forum they have a section called "the spray shop" here I have seen incredible creations using just spray cans.

If you want to do your own car bodies I think this is the way to go, and all the tips and tricks and methods you can find here are the same for either airbrush or can.

Like I mentioned above, a lot of what you do with car bodies involves a lot of masking, I painted one of my planes and spent 3.5 days masking and 15 minutes painting.

In your case it buying expensive equipment would be justified only if you plan to make money from it, or in the case of some of us here your addicted to it

Remember an airbrush is only the tool but spraying is spraying no matter what you do it with, you'll get all the info you need here over masking and stencilling and all the other techniques that you need to know.

Thanks madbrush for taking the time to respond, I would like to start with Rc cars to practice and then try to do some other projects...I just want to get my hands on an ok brush so I could practice and then later on get something better.

Thanks madbrush for taking the time to respond, I would like to start with Rc cars to practice and then try to do some other projects...I just want to get my hands on an ok brush so I could practice and then later on get something better.

OK, Jee Pee, now I understand a little more of what your looking for, Like I said if you get an airbrush, you also need a compressor, so my advice is to look for starters kit, but make sure the the kits you look at are known names, e.g. Iwata, H&S and so on there are many to choose from, but when you think you have found something let us know and we will tell if it's any good, do not buy cheap stuff because this just is not cheap, and believe me, I'm talking from experience.

It would be a good idea to to let us know your location, this will help somebody from your neck of the woods to advise you where to find your new brush/kit.

I suggest you take the time to make a few posts (not pointless stuff) so that you can post links to anything you find, that way people can see what you have in mind and can better advise you.

We are all her to help, but we need your help to do that

So start looking and do not be afraid to ask, even if you think it's stupid, you just never know.

Back