Airbrush Trigger / Lever

S

Sim

I personally prefer the 1 piece trigger with attached plunger rather than the separate trigger and plunger type. Reason being that they feel so much smoother to operate. I feel the 2 piece type has more contact points resulting in greater possible friction. Hence I try if possible to purchase these 1 piece triggers. Am I stating the obvious or is this a valid point?

However, I prefer the 2 piece separate rocker and chuck to the single piece type; again I feel they are a lot smoother.

Of course with the high quality parts produced by Iwata and some Japanese makes, the effect is somewhat subdued. In other mid rank manufacturers like Sparmax, the effect can be quite different.

Honest opinions please. No war and fighting please.

Sim

I've never experienced performance differences between these various parts. All I know is I like the one piece needle shaft setup for ease of installation.

My fist no name brush had a separate aux lever, my two Iwata brushes have the one piece set up. I haven’t noticed any really different other than the Iwata’s being much smoother in operation. But I would say that’s down to overall quality rather than the 1 or 2 piece setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree with DaveG on this one I have airbrushes with both types of set up not only on the trigger but on the rocker level as well. While installing the 2 piece set ups either trigger or rocker I find it more of a pain mainly due to these meat hooks call hands.But as far as a difference in the way the trigger feels or how the needle pulls back I really do not notice a difference.

I am with Dave , I am just as picky as he is when it comes to trigger feel and after I lost the real fine movement / control over my trigger finger I became even more picky and I have never been able to tell a difference between the trigger set ups

Gentlemen like I said, I also can’t really tell the difference in the Japanese brushes. But in the chinese cheapo brushes and my Sparmax, I can feel this difference and I hate it.

Anyway does anyone know (for sure) which Iwata trigger will fit into my HP-B+? I have seen 2 common ones, the Iwata 1003 (HP-BC+) And Iwata 6121 (Eclipse HP-CS) usually available online. For some reason beyond me, 1003 is like 3 times the price of 6121. Both look the same to me. I tried fitting my Creos PS274 trigger but it is too small.

Are you looking to replace a cross pin trigger with an attached push pin trigger? They do not make one that will work. The through hole into the valve body is larger for the cross pin style triggers.

Dave, yes I was hoping to replace it. Currently it looks like only the trigger from my cheapo chinese airbrush fits exactly.

Dave, yes I was hoping to replace it. Currently it looks like only the trigger from my cheapo chinese airbrush fits exactly.
There are two different sized through holes into the air valves in Japanese airbrushes. One for the separate push pin, which is larger diameter, and one for the attached push pin, which is smaller diameter. Every Japanese brush I have encountered thus far has one of these two sized holes. Virtually all the Japanese brushes I have seen so far that have an attached pin, they are all the same diameter, but vary in length to correspond with a particular air valve pin. Most of the differences I see are within the Olympos line itself, as the Iwata brushes seem more uniform, with just the "K" brushes tending to be odd balls. On the Asian brushes, I have seen no such standard, as they tend to be all over the map on specs, with so many different factories pumping out very similar product.

Dave, thanks for the valuable information! I am new to Iwata and still got lots to learn from all

Just taken delivery of a set of 3 different tall triggers which I ordered from China.AFFB94D5-884E-4CB0-B332-1AD45343499E.jpeg

Set of 3 cost about USD 11 with free shipping at AliExpress

Type A - Cross Pin Type (used in various Iwatas, selected Japanese Hobby airbrushes, Sparmax and Chinese copies)
Type B - Attached Thin Piston Type (used in various Iwatas, most Japanese Hobby airbrushes)
Type C - Attached Thick Piston Type (Chinese copies)
I found out that the Piston thickness is same as the separate Piston Type.

One major observations I noticed is that the finishing on these triggers are mediocre. What do you expect? Cannot be compared to the silky smooth finishing on Iwatas. Below is an example of one with a deep groove, probably due to shoddy workmanship.

E96A4DAB-7AD7-4E5D-9268-7D5000CF969B.jpeg

Another issue is both the attached Piston Type have pistons that are a tad too long (maybe about 0.5 to 1 mm too long) I wasn’t above to install the needle back into my Mr Hobby PS274 brush for Type B. Need some filing and sanding to shorten it back a little.

Attachments

• E162873D-8662-44AE-A71D-C50878FF2D65.jpeg
    E162873D-8662-44AE-A71D-C50878FF2D65.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
This is a picture of my Iwata HP-B+ with Type A. Standing really tall and proud! And really ugly!!! Oh well, but it works well. Feels a lot less sensitive to spray.
432CC73F-DCBE-41C5-BFA7-C2C1E0B7F85A.jpeg

Side by side comparison

Among the 3 triggers, this one has the best finishing. Almost no surface defects, just some sharp corners and edges

Attachments

• 697A0361-ED56-46E7-93FC-4E517F74A9DD.jpeg
    697A0361-ED56-46E7-93FC-4E517F74A9DD.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 19
Side by side comparison of Type B with my PS2740F81B2F3-2F58-463F-912D-61D1B91593B7.jpeg

As mentioned previously, I can’t reinstall the needle so no picture. When I find time to rework the length of the Piston, I will update again.

Type C installed in my Taiwanese airbrush
27592066-90F1-4CD8-BA44-BAF99E5E3EF7.jpeg

With the old trigger

Side by side comparison
36498831-7AEB-4FEC-90B9-719F7F2E1B35.jpeg

Attachments

• 0613004B-DF46-48B8-920C-C34AE0594DA7.jpeg
    0613004B-DF46-48B8-920C-C34AE0594DA7.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 9
I can’t edit my first post so I thought I mentioned it here.

The attached thick Piston in Type C has the same diameter as the Piston in those 2 piece separate trigger. They can be interchanged. In other words, Type C can also fit into my Iwata HP-B+.

Might I interject some advice? Contact DaveG and order the triggers he is making for the Microns and HP series brushes and you will never look back!
regards,
Chris the cabbie

Thanks Chris. I have seen many of Dave’s beautifully custom parts including the said triggers. Unfortunately they look to be even lower than the standard ones that comes with my brush. Apart from going after the smooth trigger feel, I need the trigger also not to be too sensitive. Maybe after a few years when I get better at airbrushing, then I may buy a few from him.

Thanks Chris. I have seen many of Dave’s beautifully custom parts including the said triggers. Unfortunately they look to be even lower than the standard ones that comes with my brush. Apart from going after the smooth trigger feel, I need the trigger also not to be too sensitive. Maybe after a few years when I get better at airbrushing, then I may buy a few from him.
True they are lower but are specific for doing fine detail work. A taller trigger actually works against you and can add fatigue to the mix limiting your available time working. I had my doubts when I looked at them as I was used to taller triggers (read stock) and once using them am a true convert. So far, I have added DaveG triggers to my Iwata Eclipse SBS and Micron SB as well as my HP-SB based on an Olympos 100SB and an Olympos SP-B that has gone full Micron with the PS770 needle and fluid nozzle(you need to replace the nozzle cap with a micron V2 part). All sweet brushes and don't get me started on DaveG's springs or the balm/lube he makes. Did I mention the solvent proof needle bearings that act like rubber replacing the teflon parts? In short, do not be afraid to mod as it really is the way to go. Once you have, you'll be kicking yourself for not having done it sooner.
Regards,
Chris the cabbie

Back