Airbrush Troubles

S

SSB830

Hi all, Got an Iwata Neo Airbrush and am once again having trouble with it. When I first start airbrushing, Its fine but after like 1 min. It starts to slow down a bit and I can't brush properly I'm having to go really close up to the model to paint and cant cover large surfaces quickly and find myself having to do a full clean out once every 5 mins or it just doesn't paint. The needle isn't bent or anything from what I can see. I'm not making the nozzle cap too tightly either.

Just given it a total clean up. Tried with water. Perfect. Put my paint in and we're back to square 1. It's coming out very patchy and every time I stop pressing on it and release it I get a big spray blob come out if that makes sense...

Welcome dragon.jpg

So once you've done the intro... what sort of paint are you using? Is it airbrush specific? If not that can be the problem. How much are you reducing the paint? What sort of pressure are you using? If you search the forum here you will find this is a common problem. Cleanliness is the real key.

Paint needs reduced more.
Possibly strained ... Could even be damaged.
What paint is it?
Doesn't happen to be metallic does it?

I'm using the Vallejo acrylic paints. There are times when it works a treat and it paints really really well. But then there are times it doesn't. I thin it down so it won't clog up and use retarder in it as well. And as for pressure I mostly use the high setting as it's the standard compressor that comes with the kit. When I finish using it I give it a good ol clean and make sure there's no more paint in there. And even before use, I give the needle a quick clean. So I'm just not sure why it doesn't work sometimes. As I said, there have been times it works a dream. But atm, it doesn't want to.

Hmm, yeah, imtermittent problems are tough.
It's not certain colors or metallics is it?

Perhaps sometimes you miss some in the nozzle?

There are some common fixes people apply to the neo... something with thread sealing or something....I'm sure someone that had one could help there

The first thing I would try is adding some more reducer to your paint. I’ve never used it, but it seems the Vellejo paint is quite thick even if it says it’s “Airbrush ready”. Grab a piece of paper or something that doesn’t matter and try thinning the paint more than you think is needed, give it a try and see if you can get a few lines without it stuttering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a thread ...
https://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/iwata-neo.2129/

Here's the thing though. Afaik the nozzle cap not sealing shouldn't cause an issue as this area is actually pressurized during spraying.
So... I suspect that the neo can sometimes allow it's nozzle cap to be screwed on too far.
The tape these guys used was likely just enough to keep it from screwing down too far.

This seems to fit with your occasional issue.

Try unscrewing the nozzle cap between just a touch to 1/8th turn or so and see what happens.

Last edited:
Unless you seem to actually lose air pressure...then I'd be looking to see if the o ring has come off the groove on the air valve stem.

Make sure you use the correct thinners for the paint too, it does need the one specific to the paint or it doesn't play properly.

Lee

Def reduce more. You may need more passes to get colour saturation, but airbrush ready paint, means using a .5 nozzle at (if I remember correctly, my lonely brain cell isn't what it was) 30psi or above. So for close up work at presumably low pressure, you will need considerable reduction.

Nozzles a tricksy little buggers. They can fool you into thinking they are clean, then spray ok for a sec, but then anything that's left gets hit with fresh paint and blocks again. When you think it's clean, put the brush together, but without tightening the needle Chuck, gently move the needle back and forth by hand. If it feels slightly, sticky or spongy, or doesn't seem to feel smooth, the nozzle isn't clean. Also check how far the needle protrudes from the front of the nozzle - does it seem to be sticking out far enough? Another sign of gunk in there, or maybe even too much - you may have flared the nozzle slightly. If the inside of the nozzle is scratched or damaged, this will also cause problems, likewise take a magnifier and check to see if the tip has any damage or splits.

If you are certain it's clean, and good, then it may well be a head tightening issue, hopefully someone will advise, as I haven't owned a neo, so not familiar with that aspect. However another option is bad paint. Does it happen with all colours? Does it seem clumpy, seedy, thick etc. I don't use vajello, but I know with other brands incorrect storage can affect them, exposure to too cold/hot temps and they don't perform. This may have happened before you even bought them. I have returned and had replaced paint I thought this had happened to.

So what PSI are you spraying at?
Yes the paint needs reduced to flow well you have dried paint built up in the nozzle .I suggest getting some 5619 Restorer made by createx to soak the nozzle in (only the nozzle nothing with rubber on it)http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Restorer
Learning how the paint should sound coming out of the airbrush when it is reduce right take practice like learning to airbrush does. If your paint starts acting up while spraying you have either too low of PSI for the reduction you are using or your paint is to thick they are both easy fixes. It is not the fault of an airbrush it you do not reduce it enough to go through the nozzle size you are using. the is operator fault.

Just gave the nozzle a full clean out and saw there was some paint there. But found some more paint behind the paint pot just above where i attach the air hose which i got wiped off using cotton buds and more stronger Tamiya thinner and just tried running that through and but it just wont come out and the actual tigger/ presser keeps getting stuck on letting the air out to the point i have to use my other hand to pull it up to stop releasing air.

Sounds like you have both the common neo problems from that thread I posted .
Read through it for the trigger fix.
Or could be the air valve oring has come loose
Try backing off your aircap a touch from fully tight also.

Just gave the nozzle a full clean out and saw there was some paint there. But found some more paint behind the paint pot just above where i attach the air hose which i got wiped off using cotton buds and more stronger Tamiya thinner and just tried running that through and but it just wont come out and the actual tigger/ presser keeps getting stuck on letting the air out to the point i have to use my other hand to pull it up to stop releasing air.
I had problems with nozzle cleaning and it was real pain in the we know what. So I just soak airbrush when I am done in to 0.5l plastic bottle for soda filled with water and stelex(cleaner which I use). I fill enough water so it fills the path where paint goes and not the trigger part. I let it soak until I am not lazy to clean it and I never looked back from the day I started to soak.
Untitled-1.jpg

Just to be sure I'm saying try backing it off a hair because I think they may wear. So while it doesn't feel too tight it may in fact be on too far.

Here's a link to a picture, broken down.
https://3e2f68f0-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites...EAVY0L_USPQRCTHLUBBSZC-ncWvLA=&attredirects=0

The oring I'm talking about is the one on the little brass pin inside the air valve. @Don Wheeler states it comes apart with an Allen wrench.
The spring is sitting just under the pin in the picture.

Im sorry but can you run me through it? Im a newbie and have no idea whats what. Im still learning.

Back