Airbrushing 1st, 2nd, 3rd and predator attempt (L to R)

L

LAEllis

Just thought id put up a few of my first attempts, my younger cousin paints motorbike panels (no details just base and finish paints) he got himself an airbush and asked me to work on it with a view to working on some of the panels, it was a little difficult to get used to the non contact part (as opposed to graphite drawing) but i think im getting the hang of it. all in all about an hour or so work in total.

1.my question is this, how hard is it to work with the curvature of the panels/helmets etc? i can create them with shading but ive never worked "around" physically.

2.Also ive noticed a lot of stencil use, this is not really a route i want to go. As you can prob see from the wonky-ness i worked with these freehand but it'd be handy (and quicker) to get some stencils for things like barbedwire, monster logo etc. Any places in the UK that i can get these? if homemade what materials do i need?

cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0804.JPG
    IMG_0804.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0830.JPG
    IMG_0830.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0824.JPG
    IMG_0824.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0815.JPG
    IMG_0815.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 72
Hi LAEllis

Welcome to the forum first of all.

I totally get what you say about the lack of contact, I had that problem too.

If I may say, and please don't be offended, but you are trying run before you can walk, as you've noticed the airbrush is a whole other beast and the skills you need won't happen overnight.

Please go to Mitch's website and download all of the control exercises, you may find these boring to do, but they will help you get to know your airbrush and what it can do, like me you probably expect the airbrush to do what your pencil does, and it will when you get over the contact problem.

Also have a good look through the forum, you'll find that most of your questions have already been answered, and as for stencils, you can make these yourself, there is now a mine of information over this very subject, make use of the search function at the top of the forum homepage.

We will of course answer your specific questions in the meantime.

Like yourself, I prefer to work freehand, but only because I'm too lazy to cut stencils, and too tight to buy them, lol

thanks madbrush,

i actually had a little look after i posted and realised all the info was there so apologies for asking something ya prob get alot.

Ill have a look at the exercises later as i have work soon so i cant get into it right now, i feel like i have ok control (albeit basic) with it but i need to get used to how it works when i start doing different things as u said. Im sort of enjoying the non contact stuff, its almost a bit more free. strange.
Oh and please dont misunderstand my questions about the panels, helmets etc. i wouldnt dream of taking money or touching someone's panels when i dont feel i could do a good enough job, i was just asking out of curiosity.

thanks madbrush,

i actually had a little look after i posted and realised all the info was there so apologies for asking something ya prob get alot.

Ill have a look at the exercises later as i have work soon so i cant get into it right now, i feel like i have ok control (albeit basic) with it but i need to get used to how it works when i start doing different things as u said. Im sort of enjoying the non contact stuff, its almost a bit more free. strange.
Oh and please dont misunderstand my questions about the panels, helmets etc. i wouldnt dream of taking money or touching someone's panels when i dont feel i could do a good enough job, i was just asking out of curiosity.

You don't need to apologise, we are all here to help, so if you have question just ask, it really is no problem to answer your queries, and some of the explanations you do find might not be clear enough.

And I didn't give your tanks a second thought, lol, but I think you'll mange that when you get to it, your graphite background will help you no end and you already have an eye for it.

It might also be an idea to check out the threads concerning maintaining your airbrush, this knowledge will save you a lot of unnecessary grief.

Hi, I am also new to this from drawing! I have just finished my second helmet. These are only practice lids that I sourced of Facebook, asking if anyone had any old helmets that they no longer wanted. As you cant sell these because of being second hand people are only too happy to part with them for free! and it does not matter if you stuff it up! also it gives you good experiance with how to perfect the finish. I hope this helps!

I wanna see ur practice lids, the finish is the hardest part, for me anyway

the finish is hard but i have to keep telling myself to slow down and not to rush it just because i want to see it finished!just had a look at your skull helmet looks awesome!

nice work on helmets. i have same problem i rush all the time.

answers:
1. Curvature of panels is only really noticeable when transfering your image if you're copying an image.. otherwise you're only ever airbrushing straight onto the surface.
2. If you can do something without a stencil then that always gives you a better result, however it takes good control which comes out of practise and confidence building.
Confidence building i believe comes from doing smaller, more detailed artworks - stencilless if possible.
The pictures you've done show good airbrush control, but you've just gone too dark with each of you images. also try using violet instead of black - much cleaner looking paint.
hope this helps

thanks for the replies folks, great idea with the old lids dave, i have a few so ill definitely try on those.

ABT, i agree with going too dark, i actually made few mistakes so prob covered them up by going darker and darker. Ill keep at it and try a lighter touch to see if i can get better results. I'll have a word with my cousin about the paints as its not my set up. cheers

Back