Airbrushing an even thick coat

C

cstitz

Hey folks,

Very new to airbrushing. I am painting a large model rocket and it is taking forever! I have a nice primer coat down and am working on solid blue base coat with acrylic color shifting paint. In order to get good performance out of my airbrush I need to mix the paint at a 1:1 ratio with reducer. I think I am on coat 8 or so and can see I have many many more coats to go before i get a nice solid blue color.

I understand an airbrush is not the ideal tool for what I am trying to do, is there anything I can do to get a thicker coat? I put one coat on before work and one after work and can still see the grey primer peeking through and darker blue spots where extra paint was applied.

:eek:ops:

Thanks!

Best to undercoat in white or silver metallic,Or color key (similar flat blue underneath)
Can't really think of anything that will help now though.
I guess you could just do the same now, ignoring what you already have. It will probably still get you there much sooner than continuing with it as is.

Last edited:
If your compressor is suitable to run a small spray gun then head to your local hardware place and buy a cheapy spraygun

I’d like to suggest somewhere but you’re lack of manners by not doing a proper introduction means I’ve no idea whate you live !!

This will help

493FB413-4E94-4829-9933-A2EBB4ACAE7F.jpeg

Haha thanks guys! I went and got some paint brushes. I think I might hand paint and sand down to a nice finish and then put a few nice light airbrush coats on.

I haven't brush painted anything since I've been a child. Does anyone object or see any issues with hand brushing like I mentioned above?

First off what airbrush are you using ? Nozzle size ?
But if you want a thick coat one pass coverage you really would want a mini spray gun with at least a 1.5 nozzle. or a paint brush that is the width of the rocket you are painting.

If this is what you are using. It acts like a pearl paint. You'd add a pound of weight to your rocket before it goes solid without an undercoat. Brushed or otherwise.
plaid-folkart-color-shift-paint-4oz-blue-flash.jpg
As seen here
2017-03-20-Color-Shift3-001a.jpg

But I do really like that paint, it's really cool stuff for the money for little projects and stuff.

Last edited:
If this is what you are using. It acts like a pearl paint. You'd add a pound of weight to your rocket before it goes solid without an undercoat. Brushed or otherwise.
View attachment 56664
As seen here
View attachment 56665

But I do really like that paint, it's really cool stuff for the money for little projects and stuff.

Yep that’s the exact paint I’m using! I love the blue purple tint.

I purchased a cheap electric paint gun and did a first coat this morning and achieved the exact resolution I was looking for. I can use my airbrush to fill in the small spots I missed and give it a nice sanding. I’ll be sure to post pictures in the next few days.

Thanks you all so much.

When it comes to lettering I chose Sticko stickers from Walmart. I’ve seen issue with paint bleeding under the sticker/taping. Does anyone foresee any issues I’ll have with doing this? Does anyone have any good tips on getting good lettering?

Thanks!

When it comes to lettering I chose Sticko stickers from Walmart. I’ve seen issue with paint bleeding under the sticker/taping. Does anyone foresee any issues I’ll have with doing this? Does anyone have any good tips on getting good lettering?

Thanks!

If the stickers are full tac they coukd end up pulling your paint off, if you're using them just for masking you would be better with low tac tape made for the purpose, the only and best way to avoid creep under your tape is to make sure all edges are firmly flattened.

I'm interested what the plan is for your rocket, is it one of those single use devices I've seen folks launch on YouTube? A photo of it before and after would be nice:) after painting I mean, not after the launchlol although that might be fun too:)

Thanks!
Just try not to build the paint as thick close to edges. Paint it as if you were free handing the letters then just spray lightly overall then pull your mask.
Think of it as if it's a mask that is not taped down and spray accordingly.
It's only able to bleed under if your way too thick. If it's going to be a lighter color, use white first.

Back