Aircap modification

MariusM

Young Tutorling
Hi,

I would like to ask for a piece of advice on an issue I'm encountering with my Paasche Talon TG 2L.

I got it with a 0.38mm needle and it works fine. I wanted to have a finer needle and I bought a 0.2mm needle. I got the 0.2mm tip too. I also got the aircap for it but Paasche makes only one for 0.25mm and 0.2mm. It seems the combo is not working for me as I barely managed to pull out paint and after cleaning I tried with water because I use Vallejo model color and I thought I screwed up the thinning. It doesn't even spray water. I managed only once to get the water out. I put back the 0.38mm and it works just fine.

I'm quite new to airbrushing and as I understand it, the tip should be a bit longer then the aircup to get the pulling force. When I look at the parts the tip and aircap seem to be flush. I'm wondering if this is the problem and I thought I could grind the aircap a bit to make it shorter. I don't know if this is a good idea. Someone else tried this? Should I try something else? I screwed the aircap quite hard and I don't think there is much more space before I tear apart the O-ring...

This seems to a be kind of a common issue on these brushes. The number 1 cap is for both .2 and .25 nozzle set ups. You have to get it screwed on far enough to allow for some nozzle protrusion from the front of the cap. If the nozzle is not sticking out it can hinder the amount of suction produced... thus, no paint flow. Ditto if there is too much protrusion... I had to try a hand full of nozzles before I found one that actually worked well on my Talon. While some of the nozzles did work, they were off center in the nozzle cap - so, back they went. No trouble at all with the .38.

I had the same issue with mine too where it would spray either inconsistently or mostly not at all, and because I can get perfectly fine lines with the ( #2 ) , the fine #1 setup is in my spares box unused. I could not get it to work properly no matter what I did and looking at Dave's post above it looks like a common issue. I would not have gone through several nozzles before I got a working one. I only wanted the fine setup to mimic the Mike Learn Mojo3 but to no avail. Its perfectly good with the 0.38 setup
This is done with the 0.38 or #2 setup on an a4 sheet of paper. https://www.airbrushforum.org/gallery/photos/332526-10150542171394624-1292650822-o.5031/ so I doubt you will ever need the (#1 ) 0.2 installed.

Lee

Thanks for the answers. At least I see this happens to other brushes ... I was even thinking I messed up the references. For the moment I don't think I'll be able to try new parts and as you both said it, the .38 works fine and I'll continue with that. Furthermore, seeing Lee's work, I'll go on practicing with the 0.38. Lee's lines look amazing so I'll keep practicing with the working configuration.

I tried today an o-ring on the nozzle thread to stop it earlier and make it protrude a bit. But it's inconsistent. Either the ring expands and blocks the air arrival, either air passes but still no suction. I'll have to get some teflon tape and put it on the thread and try this to block the nozzle a bit advanced. Still, as there are cones everywhere, I don't know if it will ever work. If I have news on the 0.2, I'll let you know.

Back