Aiwata for enamels suggestions

Z

ziplague

Hi
I'm planning a spray booth setup, my work will range from repainting a whole bike frame to more detailed artwork on the frame and other bike parts.
I will be using different types of paints depending on the job at hand. Rustoleums and Enamel paints, primers, and lacquers in large amounts for large parts of the bike, then more diluted paints for detailed artwork.

What Iwata or Badger brushes would you suggest that can go from fine (between a hair and a pencil line, 0.3 mm would be enough) to medium/large (2.5+ cm).
I basically need to find one brush that i can use to cover large areas reasonably quickly with thick paint without it clogging up, then use the same brush to touch up on some medium/fine details.

I did my research and landed on the Iwata Eclipse BCS. Unfortunately i still can't find an example of how thin or how large the spray can be, so i'm not sure it can go as fine as i hope. I know it can cover large areas and handle thick paints easily, but i'm looking for a balance between broad and fine spray.

I have a preference to Iwata but i can go for badger if the characteristics fit my needs.
Budget is 200 Euros max (European prices! If we had US prices here i would buy two brushes and cover the whole spectrum :))

I would suggest getting a small touch spray gun for the larger things like the frame instead of trying to get even coverage with an airbrush

You may want to look at the Badger Anthem 155. This airbrush can spray some very thick paint and can also give you some decent detail. Its a real workhorse airbrush and you won't have clogging problems that other airbrushes will give you with thicker viscosity paints.

I have heard from several people that badger is hard to come by on that side of the water, people that are from Europe, hard to find parts as well as airbrushes. So you might want to think about accessibility to parts as well. I might take a look at the anthem as well. Ive been looking for a good brush that sprays about a .5mm well.

What is your experience level?

None :) but i tend to pick up new skills quite quickly, i have OCD which sometimes works to my benefit. From my experience with other art forms, i learned that starting with the right tools (quality wise) speeds up the learning experience and makes it more enjoyable.

I would suggest getting a small touch spray gun for the larger things like the frame instead of trying to get even coverage with an airbrush

That's out of my budget, i would rather spend the money on a better brush or extra paint, filters, air tank etc...

I have heard from several people that badger is hard to come by on that side of the water, people that are from Europe, hard to find parts as well as airbrushes. So you might want to think about accessibility to parts as well. I might take a look at the anthem as well. Ive been looking for a good brush that sprays about a .5mm well.

I've heard the same thing, i read that badger anthem 155 is excellent for my needs, but, as you said, spares are hard to get by around here, plus it lacks a couple of components i might need. I'm looking for an airbrush that can hold 10ml+, pre-set cut-away handle, 0.35 mm nozzle.

I found the Eclipse BCS to be a bit on the large side when it comes to spray patterns. It can spray thick paints in large patterns but it's hard to get fine detail, plus the extra features have to be bought separately.
I'm looking now at the Kustom CS, it can handle enamel paints, pattern is still wide but less than the eclipse, but it can go a bit finer. The factors that sold me are the including of the pistol grip moisture filter and pre-set cut-away handle, which, if added to the eclipse, would make the price almost the same. PTFE needle packing are important as well.

It wont bother me if i have to take more time covering the bike frame, as long as i can manage to get the finer details as thin as i want to.

Anyway, what do you guys think of the Kustom CS.

I know i might seem to be starting big with no experience, but the way i see it, i have a budget that i spend and then i have to stick with what i've got for some time. So going for cheaper and not being able to get the job done, or having problems with spare parts etc... is the last thing i want. This project is going to make or brake my summer, so i'm planning it carefully and with your help i will be confident that i'll get the needed support, tips and suggestions wise :)

I suggest an Iwata Eclipse CS , work horse of an airbrush .35 set up. Or a Badger Krome which comes with a .2 and a .3 nozzle/needle set up. That way it is like getting 2 airbrushes for the price of one.

I suggest an Iwata Eclipse CS , work horse of an airbrush .35 set up. Or a Badger Krome which comes with a .2 and a .3 nozzle/needle set up. That way it is like getting 2 airbrushes for the price of one.

I would go with badger if it wasn't for the lack of support in my area, i can't risk waiting a week or two for delivery from UK. I will be airbrushing 3-5 hours daily at least, so some problems are unavoidable, better have local support in case of deadlines etc...
Iwata CS is tempting, but the reservoir is non removable and on the small side, not tiny, but i much prefer the Kustom one for the size. Plus, if i go for eclipse i will still buy the moisture trap and the pre-set cutaway, which will make it cost the same as a kustom kit.
Finally, and correct me if i'm wrong, the eclipse doesn't have PTFE seals as far as i can see.

I would go with badger if it wasn't for the lack of support in my area, i can't risk waiting a week or two for delivery from UK. I will be airbrushing 3-5 hours daily at least, so some problems are unavoidable, better have local support in case of deadlines etc...
Iwata CS is tempting, but the reservoir is non removable and on the small side, not tiny, but i much prefer the Kustom one for the size. Plus, if i go for eclipse i will still buy the moisture trap and the pre-set cutaway, which will make it cost the same as a kustom kit.
Finally, and correct me if i'm wrong, the eclipse doesn't have PTFE seals as far as i can see.

All IWATA have ptfe needle bearing seal.....Well let me re-phase that All IWATA's made in the last 5 years have them. now if your local dealer has been sitting on them for longer than that than even the kustom may not have it.

but I think you might think that you will need to hold more paint than you really need. a couple of drops in an airbrush goes a long way. unless you are thinking you can lay down your base and clear with an airbrush.. and that answer is no , you will need at least a mini touch up gun , but it is best to have a HVLP spray gun for primer only and one for base coats and I have another one just for clear coats.
But being I do not know what is in your area than the choice is all yours.
main problem you will have with any airbrush other than you bending a needle and cracking the nozzle , is learning how to keep it clean ,
but why ask for our opinion if you have already made up your mind??
Just asking..

All IWATA have ptfe needle bearing seal.....Well let me re-phase that All IWATA's made in the last 5 years have them. now if your local dealer has been sitting on them for longer than that than even the kustom may not have it.

but I think you might think that you will need to hold more paint than you really need. a couple of drops in an airbrush goes a long way. unless you are thinking you can lay down your base and clear with an airbrush.. and that answer is no , you will need at least a mini touch up gun , but it is best to have a HVLP spray gun for primer only and one for base coats and I have another one just for clear coats.
But being I do not know what is in your area than the choice is all yours.
main problem you will have with any airbrush other than you bending a needle and cracking the nozzle , is learning how to keep it clean ,
but why ask for our opinion if you have already made up your mind??
Just asking..

A second and third opinion never hurts, even if i go with my own choices doesn't mean i won't be taking your suggestions into consideration, for ex. i didn't know that all Iwatas have PTFE seals until you mentioned it (although i will be cross referencing you as well :)), they don't seem to mention that on their main web page, just saying.

For primers, i will be using rattle cans, speeds up the process and less hassle, base coats and clear coats as well. But i have to have the option of spraying large shapes on a table top, shirt, car door, bike gas tank etc... with metallic and other thick paints, so i kind of need a fine-to-medium/large spray pattern. As far as i understand, a 0.35 combination will do it for the first couple of month, later i might go for a 0.15 if i get enough demand for detailed work, but that talk is for later.

PS: I'm asking for your opinions because i'm a bit nervous, there is a lot of cash involved and this is not going to be a personal hobby, like spraying toys and figurines for personal enjoyment (not that there is anything wrong with that), there is a serious work opportunity on the horizon and the better the equipment i get the faster i will learn, instead of worrying about clogging needles, overheating compressors, delayed shipments etc...
So, please, bare with me here, all your input is greatly appreciated :)
The more the better.

Back