alberto ponno my mode to paint

A

ALBERTO

Ciao guys ,I hope that by including my work system, I can help someone improve his way of airbrushing .

Set Up
I position the projector and align it with the work surface. This is the position it stays in until the work is finished. This application is used for Flat surfaces, for round surfaces, ie. Crash helmets the set up is more complicated.

First of all I paint the first step using the right colours but with a lot of white added. This is my base colour . My technique involves me working from the right to the left.
If for example you have to paint an eclipse and you started working from left to right, your brain is confused because you can see only a few mm of the line you are painting, but if you work from right to left you have a perfect visual of the line that you have to draw.
Also the hand is more steady and doesn’t shake so much. Another important thing to remember is when you paint the dark colour on the base colour, you have to slowly build up the colour to reach the target colour. This allows me to familiarise my self with the many depths of colour. When I work under the projector and have to airbrush very detailed work, I work with the studio lights off and rely on the little luminous point generated from the reflection of the impact of paint on the surface, not unlike a mini laser. It is a difficult technique to master but the precision I am able to get from using this technique is incredible. All the writing on the Schumacher helmet, I did, was done using this technique.
When doing very detailed work it is better if the support is aluminium or similar as opposed to absorbing materials like paper. The reason for this is by spraying onto non absorbing materials I can see the wet reflection of paint as it hits the surface, with absorbent materials this doesn’t happen.
Using my style I spray a small dot of colour onto the surface, I switch on the light to check the target area, I continue this until I have it perfect, then with the light switched on, I rest my arms on the table and calmly pass over the target area to reach the final colour.
To become good at spraying with the light off and just the projector on you have to practice a lot, you can spray water onto plastic or aluminium for practice purposes, you will have only the reflection of the wet dot of the water or of the paint as reference for where you are painting on.
Projector + Paper
I use 15 cm x15 cm of white paper. I take the paper between thumb and index of my left hand. The paper is important because it allows me to check my work against the original. When I paint my line I move the paper over it quickly which reveals the true projected image. This allows me to make a comparison between the two, as i continuously flick the paper to and fro.
As you continue to build up the detail and colour the difference between the reference image and your image is reduced as you move your white paper from left to right. Finally there is no difference, that’s when you know you have reached your target.
I paint in small sections at a time. at one stage blocking the projector view with my body, as the shadow from my body blocks out the projected image. I use what I call my ‘Photographic memory.’ Because I have familiarised myself so much with the reference image I can continue my work without having to resort to other means. Every now and then I will move my head from the sight of the projector to check my work. It’s a long laborious process but it’s has given me spectacular results and it works for me.

Wow, you win the gold medal for patience and persistence!!! That is amazing and thanks for sharing!!!
I may try this someday, but as for now, like you stated I need to practice, lol!!!
Great info and thanks!!

Josh

Wow! i'd love to see that in action though - it seems really difficult! painting without any light.. but it obviously works..
Thanks for sharing Alberto!

Thanks for sharing this Alberto. It really sounds like the most difficult way to airbrush, but your work speaks for itself that your method works great for you.
I dont think i would ever be able to do that, but im just starting out yet to airbrush some freehand without a stencil. And i also have to learn to be more
patient when airbrushing and not to rush things.

No guys, it's really easy to paint in the absolutely dark. You have a laser :the light point. ok, if you are working on left part of aluminium plate or plastic or other, but not paper, Put your eyes at level the point where you are working . Move your head a bit ,left ,right , a bit ,another bit and.... it's there the magic point. mean it. if you're in front of a shop window of a store that sells shoes and you want to see the shoes, it is necessary that you focus on the shoes, otherwise, you will only see yourself reflected in the glass. So, will be necessary that you focus to see the light point, otherwise you will see your paint, your trace, your color, this is wrong, you should not see your sign, otherwise you do not see the dot. If you will seea dot of a mm you are painting a line of a mm, if you see !/10 of mm, you are painting a line of 1/10 . if yo see a large light point , it's fantastic for paint il large partes and to see where are you putting your color. it's necessary a great control of the finger, but it's only matter of training . test to believe , eh eh eh. ah, i forget, this thecnyque is perfect, by solvent paint, because by water color the dot , will be not so visible. ciao guys

Wow! I think at some point I'm going to have to shell out for a projector! If I ever get to be one tenth as good as alberto I will be happy!

hello guys,
I started painting with the projector, and it is not at all difficult.
I transformed an old projector slides to avoid overheating of the lens.
I mounted a lamp in low-power cool light, and it works great.
Expenditure € 15 if you find an old projector.
I think that you can ask for your relatives or friends and find one.
my mother had one and It gave me, because now she was not using it.
Painting with the projector is easy, you have to understand some techniques but the result is great also if you do not want to get to micron detail.
Not used anymore stencil and go much faster.
later public photos to to show you how I made the changes to the projector.
In my opinion you should all give it a try.
For those who like to do portraits I think it is a very useful technique because you can project the image of the face do the contours and later paint the whole thing freehand, no stencil.
Then he every so often you can make comparisons with the projected image and maybe add some details to make it more realistic.
I'm sure if one of you tries to make the skull of the competition with the projector will have a huge success.
;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back