All compressor tanks

retiredgarnham

Triple Actioner
Hi guys
Just a thought. Even though I have a water trap on the compressor I always drain the tank to remove any debris, oil and water usually before I start a painting session. Drain tap can be found underneath the tank.

I drain in the evening when I turn compressor OFF, then I leave open drain valve till the next session. When I start compressor I let a little air go out of drain valve and close that drain valve so tank can be filled. So, I am wondering. Why you drain before you start spraying and not when you finish? Or you drain before and after?

Like you I used to leave the drain tap open of a nighttime but now my compressor lives indoors (I have a large tanked Bambi 75/150 silent compressor) and I found it doesn't suffer from water ingress as it used to when outside so I just drain off just before using it.

Maybe it wood be silly thing to say, but I drained my compressor kinda year ago or more:D But don't do that at home!lol
It's because I have stainless steel tank, traps after the motor-compressors, air cooling system and another trap (filter) before the tank and another filter after the tank and finally finest filtration possible before the airbrush hoses. No water was ever seen. It's about AB compressor.
Big compressor I drain from time to time, not every day.

I love bambi compressors. I wonted to have one, but it was to expensive :( After I would add a shipping to my place it would be even more. When you sad you have Bambi 75/150 I sad to my self 75 must be 75 liters thank and what the hell is 150 then? -.- Soooooooooooo, I opened a google, nothing bad if I see one more time bambi compressor.

https://www.graphicair.co.uk/product/bambi-75-150v-silent-compressor/

This is great compressor for indoor. Damn , I need to find you the one which I had when I started. lol It's also quiet , but let's call it a home made Bambi :D

here is a thread:
https://www.airbrushforum.org/threa...her-big-best-friend-adults-only-thread.21091/

One day I stumbled on this video on you tube, I was new to airbrushing so I kinda panicked :laugh:

So people told me here how they drain. What is their routine. So when I bought the silver one like you see on picture I drain him each time from the day I bought it. I borrowed routine from Jackie :)

Still that panic feeling is here somewhere in my little mind so I still have my routine of doing stuff. I told one member of this forum one week ago what my routine is, so here is a copy of that text:

My routine:
a) I turn on compressor
b) I close release valve
c) I run from compressor in to other room so I can hide behind a wall
d) I light my smoke
e) I wait if something gonna blow in compressor room
f) All good cause I got wall between me and my compressor:cool:

And let's finish this post with a funny video, which I probably linked many times. lol

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect that with you.

I wouldn't either:)
I've explained why I do so. If I haven't had the things mentioned above, I'd drain a bit more;) Honestly, not much water goes to the tank in my system, it's trapped before the tank mostly. Consider my system for your future DIY.

For god sake, your studio is more sterile then clinics where doctors operate patients. :D

It's the trick!;)
Why it wouldn't remain that way if I didn't drain the tank?:)

I wouldn't either:)
I've explained why I do so. If I haven't had the things mentioned above, I'd drain a bit more;) Honestly, not much water goes to the tank in my system, it's trapped before the tank mostly. Consider my system for your future DIY.

It's the trick!;)
Why it wouldn't remain that way if I didn't drain the tank?:)
well, as soon you would drain that tanks it wouldn't be sterile like it is right now :D

Hi guys
I am a retired electrical and mechanical engineer and have been working with air compressors for over 40yrs. I installed them, serviced them I even built a few!! Don't panic about them exploding. The tanks themselves are built to withstand many times the pressure than the max that the compressor says it can handle. Also if it is a purchased compressor then it will have a safety valve fitted directly from the tank which will blow if the tank was ever over pressurised. This safety valve can be tested whenever you like. They usually have a small pull ring on the end of them. I test mine now and then just out of habit, but seriously you should test it at least once a year.

Back