All I need is the Air that I breathe...... right?

M

MrDigBick

Hi Guys,
I use Auto Air, I have grown to love it as a beginner it seems to be really forgiving and easy to mix.
My question is:
Do I need to wear a respirator when using Auto Air? They're water based so am I naive in thinking that they aren't toxic as I have been spraying away with no mask :nonchalance:

Cheers

Tom

ull be fine when spraying lightly, just make sure u have a well vented area to work in. an if ur spraying heavy id recommend one.

Hi Guys,
I use Auto Air, I have grown to love it as a beginner it seems to be really forgiving and easy to mix.
My question is:
Do I need to wear a respirator when using Auto Air? They're water based so am I naive in thinking that they aren't toxic as I have been spraying away with no mask :nonchalance:

Cheers

Tom

You should wear a respirator whatever you work with, your thread title say it all, the only safe thing that can into your lungs is indeed the air that you breath, I have never used it but I have heard auto air does contain some solvents which are bad for you, when using any other water-based paints you can dispense with the need for a mask if you can provide adequate extraction of over-spray and/or fumes.

As MadBrush stated when you spray ANYTHING AIR BORNE..Wear a respirator, From Rattle can spray paint to WD-40 if it is in the air Guess What ? it is in your lungs.
Auto air is a water based paint your body will take it in faster.

Rule of thumb Always wear a Respirator

Based on this advice I have just ordered one. I'd like to say it'll be fresh clean air from now on for me. But.... Sadly working in and around the biggest alloy press in the world, the amount of oil spray and other bits of junk in the air is terrible.

Thanks again guys :)

Even a dust and nuisance ask from a home center will work for water based paints. You don't necessarily need a full paint respirator unless you will be spraying urethanes , lacquers, or epoxy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Basically I would just take the "be safe than sorry" route and wear a FFP2 mask and try and to get one that protects against paint spray (aqueous mists).

I use 2 fans which blow the air from my work area towards an extractor fan. I'd just cleaned one of the fans and then sprayed a white background on some A3 card (3 coats). Then I notice the fan blades on my newly cleaned fan were completely dusted in white paint. If I hadn't been wearing a mask I'd have been breathing that in and coating my lungs with acrylic paint. Nasty!!
cheers Mel

All great help guys, really helpful. What sort of extraction systems do you guys go for?
Cheers
Tom

i kinda pondered this question : my awnser is simble if your 60 your lungs will only look more colorfull when you die if your very young paint will eventually get into your lungs and trachea and "coat it" a bit like smoke does .
will you die if you dont wear a mask well like smoking : you may live your life without any problems or you might die early from poisoning . about the only "safe" thing is wearing a mask and even that isn't fullproof. it may take days for particles to settle!
like was said wearing a mask makes the activity much safer but not wearing one probably wont kill you right away ( unless you use oils in a closed space ;-) )

Yeah I've ordered a mask. The reason I ask if I'm honest, is that I've developed a cough since really getting into my airbrushing. It's a proper chesty bugger too. I don't smoke and it may just be a coincidence but I've noticed a a lot of auto air trapped up my nose after a good session...
Hmmm wonder if I could reduce it down and reuse it :indecisiveness:

Hi Mr Dig:) simple extraction systems like those bought as a bathroom extraction kit from your local hardware is what I'd recommend for your studio space. Make sure it's set up near your canvas/ art board and its going to help reduce whatever is flying around in the air. Extraction and mask are recommended but you'll get more comfortable and see what works for u:)

Cheers boss, I'll get on it.
I love it when you call it a studio... Makes me feel all professional and moist. In all honesty It's my spare room, man cave.
It's just a pain in the ass when I get overpray on my Mrs underwear.

Glad you've decided to mask up :)
Lungs should be treated with respect, after all if you can't breath properly it affects every part of your life and there is no medication that will reverse the affects !
I've spent big $$$ on a (powered) respirator and use it constantly in my hen den (not just painting) and its scary how quick the filter needs cleaning out

Back