Alt reducer or less smell (wicked detail paint)

M

Milo

I have been practicing with the paints I got and it came with W500 reducer and it basically really smells. It seems to be coming just from the reducer. I can't vent to the outside and have box fans with filters going. But my practice paper had to go sit outside as it seems to take a while for that to dissipate.

Any thoughts or suggestions, of an alternate reducer or just water perhaps? I would hate to lose the smooth flow or found I am going to have to rebuy (after I save money) all my paints again.

Well, ummmm, you really have the best reducer for the paint. Some do use a home cooked recipe. Cant remember the materials and mix ratios though. If you have an issue with the odor, you may have an issue with all paints, except maybe ETac which smells fruity. There are a few that rwduce with water like ETac, com-art, spectratex, and standard createx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is one of the downfalls with Wicked. The W100 doesn't smell as bad, but doesn't work as well. Water would work ok as a reducer, but I wouldn't use too much of it unless it's just practice pieces. I am a bit on the strange side and really like the smell of the W500, I am also spraying it in the garage, not the house.

You must have a good nose cause with my mask on I do not smell anything.
Oh wait that tells me you are not wearing a mask while spraying...

Also the paint is pretty much dry with in seconds of hitting the surface unless you are spraying too wet.

But if you wish to try the home brew it is 25% denatured alcohol 75 % water and 1 drop of glycerin per ounce mixed..
8 OZ 6 oz water 2 oz alcohol and 8 drops glycerin.

I made some reducer and it jus does not complete with the w500. Actually it sucks lol or maybe I'm just too use to the w500. Only time I use the home brew is to change colours

Since it was mentioned, and i didn't think about it, Actually while spraying I don't remember noticing it, as I do wear a mask always. I used to spray with Com-art (mostly) or mixed golden fluids with the airbrush medium. The paint itself doesn't seem to have any real odor except well kinda that dry paint smell, it seems to be focused on the reducer.

It does dry but the paint once mixed smells for a bit. I will have to see about putting the work in the garage or outside for a day, as the complaints were going even though I painted in the morning that evening after coming home it was still pretty strong. I have been practicing on absorbent material at the moment. Just trying to keep everyone in the household happy and sane.

If I could spray in the garage it wouldn't be as much an option, we will be moving to a place without a garage and outside won't be an option when it gets hot.

I might try that recipe, worse comes to worse I change to one of the paints suggested.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments.
Milo

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Wayne that the W500 is superior and was designed to not only reduce but aid with flow also. Because of cost I also use the home brew Micron spoke of and I use it to flush between colors and the W500 for initial thinning and end of day clean up. Here is the link for home brew recipe..... Homemade Reducer

caution!! that link for the reducer was corrupted quite a while back..

for some reason I cannot post links anymore but if you google jason jones recipe you can get to it

Hey guys I am starting out I really want to get to the car graphics side of painting and want to know what I am to use paint wise and how to clear coat it with out having to do the whole vehicle panel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-C105A using Tapatalk

I use more reducer than paint most times. ETAC smells like tropical fruit and is reduced with Distilled Water. At $.99 a gallon, I'll save more money using it.

I won't repeat what everyone else has says since they are all right but I will reiterate WEAR A MASK. Even though wicked is waterbased, it is actually a waterBOURNE paint, meaning there IS solvents in the reducer. They aren't as harsh as urethane but still not good to breathe in. A dust mask will suffice for this paint at the least. On a second note, go spray urethane for years like me then smell the wicked lol and you will think it has no smell. I don't like waterbased paints due to the finicky nature of them but they do have virtually no smell to me compared to what I'm used to smelling.

I won't repeat what everyone else has says since they are all right but I will reiterate WEAR A MASK. Even though wicked is waterbased, it is actually a waterBOURNE paint, meaning there IS solvents in the reducer. They aren't as harsh as urethane but still not good to breathe in. A dust mask will suffice for this paint at the least. On a second note, go spray urethane for years like me then smell the wicked lol and you will think it has no smell. I don't like waterbased paints due to the finicky nature of them but they do have virtually no smell to me compared to what I'm used to smelling.

Nothing like the smell of urethane in the morning:D even worse 2 part epoxy paint..

Hey guys I am starting out I really want to get to the car graphics side of painting and want to know what I am to use paint wise and how to clear coat it with out having to do the whole vehicle panel

How about starting with an introduction , then a search for automotive painting. then if you can not find the answer ask it in your own thread so it does not confuse the person asking the question in this thread.

But when you do that I will be happy to help .

Ok thanks I couldnt find how to add my own thread

The W500 is great, it has a slight smell, but I wouldn't say it was particularly strong or lingers, but maybe it's just me? Where do you paint in the house? Maybe you could set up some sort of extractor system. Also what pressure are you spraying at? A lower pressure would mean less paint in the air.

nine9toez, maybe you should start your own thread for this question, more people will see it and get you on the right track. Edit - I see Herb already beat me to that suggestion LOL!

Thanks for the information on the reducer. I did check out the site that shadow2462 listed, as well as doing the google search ko, lead to some threads here with a formula as well as the above linked page.

that link for the reducer was corrupted quite a while back
Google returned the same page jason jones, is this formula not good?

I found this thread here http://www.airbrushforum.org/airbrush-paints/8196-homemade-reducer-question.html#post107996 with a posting by Mr.Micron :)

I won't repeat what everyone else has says since they are all right but I will reiterate WEAR A MASK. Even though wicked is waterbased, it is actually a waterBOURNE paint, meaning there IS solvents in the reducer. A dust mask will suffice for this paint at the least. On a second note, go spray urethane for years like me then smell the wicked lol and you will think it has no smell. I don't like waterbased paints due to the finicky nature of them but they do have virtually no smell to me compared to what I'm used to smelling.

Well I was spraying com-art, golden and holbien(sp) before so I guess I am glad I never sprayed Urethane, though I heard its amazing to spray with. I do wear a mask I need to get a better one. Venting to the outside isn't an option esp once we hit summer here. I am using the box fan with filter right next to work and spray about 15-20psi. I don't want to cause difficulties for the rest of the household either. Should I be worried spraying the wicked detail with the W500?

The W500 is great, it has a slight smell, but I wouldn't say it was particularly strong or lingers, but maybe it's just me? Where do you paint in the house? Maybe you could set up some sort of extractor system. Also what pressure are you spraying at? A lower pressure would mean less paint in the air.

I am going to move things closer to a window and this nice extended cold spell allows me to open the window and setting the work outside when I am done will help (though the box fan is sucking all the excess and still sitting there). I am using a 5:1 reducer to paint and just got a mac-valve. I am painting about 20psi I believe at the moment.

I appreciate all the information, insights and direction. Will I have to worry about damage to the airbrush using the alcohol in home made reducer, if I remember it was only ammonia based things to watch for.

If I am working on canvas for longevity would the homemade reducer effect the paint that way? Come to think about it I never looked at longevity on the wicked details. I imagine they are good since Dru Blair does the illustration wicked now.
Thanks again for all the replies.

I just looked up some denatured alcohol and it brought up questions esp looking its toxicity level when inhaled. This was the product I looked up http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=35&prodid=101 says not to use as a thinner. I should probably ask that in the homebrew thread to keep it relevant to whats already been asked there.

Should you be worried about the w500? No as long as you have a mask on and ventilated room with a window cracked and a fan blowing to exhaust the room.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Should you be worried about the w500? No as long as you have a mask on and ventilated room with a window cracked and a fan blowing to exhaust the room.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

I do have a mask but not exhausting to the outside. I have a fan pulling into the best airconditioner filter for particles I could find at home depot. If its going to be an issue I don't want to cause problems for wife and daughter or myself later when I remove said mask. I just hate to dump all the new paint, but it is what it is.

Back