Am I doing something wrong?

J

jeffskull

First of all.I.want.to.say that there are some amazing airbrush artists on this forum. I have seen some mind blowing work on here and I hope to be that caliber someday!! Now, from.yall's advise I switched to.wicked detail.paints and.love them. Big difference. However it seems for the first 10 minutes or so.of a practice session everything is fine but as the minutes click by I start getting more of the spidering. I have learned to control and fix my tip dry issue thx to y'all but after awhile of spraying when I get close to.paper to lay fine detail like the teeth on skulls it starts to.spider. if I go.right back to dagger stroke practice its fine. Get close to outline teeth and.bingo, spidering again. Am I pulling back too.slow and.allowing too much paint to build at.tip of.needle? Just wondering if its an action or something I'm doing that I can correct. Using wicked detail black thinned.about 3 to 1 at 8 psi with hpc iwata

Sounds like you might be moving your brush to slowly when doing your detail work. getting those lines between the teeth are just like regular lines and dagger strokes. You've got to keep that airbrush moving or your paint will build up and spider. Trying to lay down less paint might help, and maybe make the lines in two or three passes rather than trying to get it all in one splash.

I love wicked detail, but they do need filtering as tiny gloopy bits can block the nozzle and give you problems. Give em a filter, make sure your nozzle is spotless, and should be all good!

Mainly , speed up your strokes, Being it is something new to you , you my be over thinking the process and slowing down the longer you paint.

It will come with practice and getting use to both the paint and the airbrush.

Thanks guys for all ur input. I am learning to value the comments.here as it has helped.me a ton in getting better! All of u and this forum are awesome! Its very reassuring that I have a place to go for answers and comfort when all seems to be going wrong. I LOVE airbrushing but its very hard and not for the faint of heart.

Jeff, We all have stuff go wrong all of the time, I for instance had a paint spill right down my spraypal painting just after I had finished it last night. The paint was dabbed off and it lifted the paint on the painting, I had to repaint, thankfully I was able to repair it without you being able to tell. If it wasnt for peoples help and info, I wouldn't have known how to fix the mess.

Never be scared to paint, the worse thing that can happen is you have to start again but most of the time you can fix it. Never be scared or ashamed to post up a pic either. Everyone has to start somewhere and posting up a pic helps the others see where you're going wrong and then you get better help and advice.

Lee

Thanks guys for all ur input. I am learning to value the comments.here as it has helped.me a ton in getting better! All of u and this forum are awesome! Its very reassuring that I have a place to go for answers and comfort when all seems to be going wrong. I LOVE airbrushing but its very hard and not for the faint of heart.
yup even if we don't know the answer (which someone always does) you can always get a virtual hug of commiseration

Back