Am I ready to step up from Badger Patriot? Help!

Don't get too hung up on those eyelashes.
Many people paint those in with a watercolor pencil. Or use split frisket techniques. It takes a long time, and very good confidence to pull those off.

The 105 can go pretty fine but not as fine as some others. I love my eclipse airbrushes and can do everything with one... But even then it's easier with a detail brush.

Yeah...doing detail is what I eventually want do well at and that was kind of what I wanted to find out: Would it be better to invest the next year perfecting the 105 or would it be better to invest in a Eclipse and invest the year in that. Or, would the investment in the Micron justify where I might take my art projects in that same year?

Yeah...doing detail is what I eventually want do well at and that was kind of what I wanted to find out: Would it be better to invest the next year perfecting the 105 or would it be better to invest in a Eclipse and invest the year in that. Or, would the investment in the Micron justify where I might take my art projects in that same year?

Tough question to answer with any real insight - there are so many variables that are easily overlooked. My take is that in the end, it is not the tool that will net you the results, but the skill of the hand yielding it. I have enough different brushes that I can choose what I want for the day, but I do my very best work with those I feel most comfortable using - and they are often not the most expensive of the bunch. For more than 2 decades my go to has been an Iwata HP-B+, even though I have both Iwata and Olympos Microns to turn to. I have several inexpensive imports, (under $30 each, some under $25) that will do exactly what I want them to do, and I could use them all day long without feeling like I was missing anything. I guess that what I am saying is that having enough time with each of these, allows me to feel like I know exactly what the brush is going to do all the time, and to be able to use that to achieve the results that I am after.

Thanks Dave....really well put and great advice. Thanks for saving me a bunch of money he, he. Everyone....Have a great weekend !

I am a brush junky and if I see someone do awesome with one I begin to think I need it. I would keep up with the 105, but also add a gravity detail brush into the mix. A Micron is an investment you will never regret. If you tend to like working larger than a Micron C plus would be a great choice. If you like smaller and more intricate detail than a Micron B or SB. If you don't want to spend on the more expensive than I would choose a HP-C or just a HP-CS. Or then you can be like me and one one of every brush. Just kidding I only own 6 Airbrush's now. I sold 5 off last week.[emoji50]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist
Thanks for all your input on my post....Take care !

I used to be a big brush junky as well. But in the end I found the models that covered the whole range of what I needed to do.. from fine to background and sold off everything else. It makes NO SENSE what so ever to just keep airbrushes around that are inferior.

Meaning, if an airbrush model meets all your needs, why keep any around that are "subpar"? You can then narrow down all your spare parts, you can trade parts if you have multiples of the same model in an emergency, and you don't have money just wasting away.

I also have my first HP-C I got when I was in highschool and that thing will never be sold.

Back