Anatomy of a .2 iwata needle ( surprise)

Robbyrockett2

Air-Valve Autobot!
Here's another measurement share.
Total length of taper =13mm
Main angle= 6deg

Surprise, it's a compound angle as well

Secondary angle= ~10deg

This time the secondary angle is sort of rounded in like a rifle bullet. I dont think it's rounded on purpose, its not very pronounced and is only in transition and i can tell you 10 deg for a small point on the tip would be very difficult to do without some rounding.... No matter the method.

Second angle is .12-.14 ish mm long

It is again blunt at the tip for about .06mm

1546035374511.jpg 1546035604206.jpg needleb1.jpg needleb3.jpg

About the only needles that I can think of that are very distinctly single taper, are the long Olympos needles. Well, and the old Holbein Y needles, too - even longer than Olympos, but very straight. Most others do seem to have a second taper near the tip.

Ah the plot thickens, now on to a .3, then .35, and I'm wondering if there is a difference between a BCS .5mm needle, and a TH .5mm needle?
Yeah, hard to say, probably not other than being different lengths.....?

Next ones to pop up here will likely be badgers, hs, possibly eclipse .35's

Basically going in order of the needles I'll be offering in the SN1.
Since I have to basically copy the profiles anyhow.

.5 is kind of low on the list since they're pretty tough as is and minor dings aren't even likely to bother most users.

Yeah, hard to say, probably not other than being different lengths.....?

Next ones to pop up here will likely be badgers, hs, possibly eclipse .35's

Basically going in order of the needles I'll be offering in the SN1.
Since I have to basically copy the profiles anyhow.

.5 is kind of low on the list since they're pretty tough as is and minor dings aren't even likely to bother most users.
True, I mean the TH doesn't even really have a needle cap, just a ridge on the air cap. I heard you also measuring the distance the needle protrudes out the nozzle. It's also increasing the flat spot at the end of the needle. I can see now how that adds just a hair of surface tension of the media, allowing the jet stream to pulverize, so to speak, the media, allowing for finer atomization, instead of it simply 'rolling off' the tip.

True, I mean the TH doesn't even really have a needle cap, just a ridge on the air cap. I heard you also measuring the distance the needle protrudes out the nozzle. It's also increasing the flat spot at the end of the needle. I can see now how that adds just a hair of surface tension of the media, allowing the jet stream to pulverize, so to speak, the media, allowing for finer atomization, instead of it simply 'rolling off' the tip.
Yep, that and I think basically if you have a perfectly sharp point, the paint all gathers up as it nears the point and has to come off, making a wider line.

If it has a tiny flat then about where it would be forced off, instead it drops into a little vacuum zone, narrowing even more.

Kind of a false point effect.

Plus sharp points are ridiculously delicate.

the SN 0.2 needle is on my wish list as soon as I have tested the SN0.18 but that wont be till next year :D
as far as the 0.35 and 0.5 needles go I would not be interested in a SN version as I hardly ever use those airbrushes

Back