Another Candy2o Question

SiRoxx

Party Boy UK Style
Staff member
Mod
Hey Guys and Girls,
Since my last Candy query things have improved, I’ve had more consistent flow, but another issue has raised its head.
If I spray a larger area, it dries with a really rough feel to it. Also I seem to have bits that coming flying out mid spray even after straining the paint.
I’ve been using 1 part 4030, reducing slightly, adding 4 parts Candy20 and reducing a little more with 4020 if needed.
I realise it’s a bit of a guessing game, but any ideas of what the issue could be happening would be great.
Thanks Everybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bits flying off sounds like tip dry. It's pretty sticky stuff and does tend to build up. The roughness could be paint starting to dry before it hits the surface. What height are you spraying at? Adjusting your ratios and air pressure might help too. I use a higher psi than normal with candy20, but more air also means more drying. It's a bit of a juggling act to be sure.

Depends on what you are using to apply the mix - sraygun or airbrush but it sounds as if you air pressure might be a little high and spraying distance could be to far away.
I would start with the recommended mixing ratios in the TDS for the product, I think you could also benefit from using more 4030. Createx recommend s 30%-50% for airbrush and 1 to 1 spray gun.

Attachments

• candy2o-TDS.pdf
    198.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Createx-Colors_Hard-Surface-Application-Guide.pdf
    304.3 KB · Views: 0
Thanks very much for all the replies, I was starting to think that it might be dry spray, I’ve been trying to make sure it’s going down in light layers and maybe overdoing it.
I’ve had this issue with both my Eclipse CS .35 and the Creos 290 .5 mainly with the .5 though.
I guess I’ve maybe been going too light. I haven’t been putting as much 4030 in as they suggest as it seems to tip dry instantly.
This is spraying around 30 psi.

Last edited:
I find the candys dry ruff and I only add them to the trans base (not auto work)
That’s interesting Mac. Other than the 4030, do the other steps match what you’re doing?

I’ve been trying to make sure it’s going down in light layers and maybe overdoing it.

That's easy to fall into when trying to get an even layer of candies especially. this whereisthe trigger limit comes in handy to get you in closer at the highish pressure you have to use.
You might have to move a little quicker.
Just don't go too far from what you're doing when trying to adjust these multiple factors.

Last edited:
That’s interesting Mac. Other than the 4030, do the other steps match what you’re doing?

I’m not too sure what you mean, one thing I think I do wrong is add too much candy, I do add some reducer too. I find the Intercoat is not that good for erasing, it all gets sticky!

I’m not too sure what you mean, one thing I think I do wrong is add too much candy, I do add some reducer too. I find the Intercoat is not that good for erasing, it all gets sticky!
Sorry Buddy. I wrote above the stages I go through to mix, the approx psi and mix ratio of 4030 to Candy. So what I meant was, obviously I use 4030 rather than Trans Base, other than that do my steps match yours? I wasn’t clear at all.

That's easy to fall into when trying to get an even layer of candies especially. this whereisthe trigger limit comes in handy to get you in closer at the highish pressure you have to use.
You might have to move a little quicker.
Just don't go too far from what you're doing when trying to adjust these multiple factors.
That makes sense Mate. I can see how moving faster with the limit set would help and I’ll give thats whirl. Like you said, I won’t change my entire approach straight away, but I’ll set the limit for a small amount of paint and see how it works. I won’t be able to do anything until next week, but I’ll let you know.

Well I had another play with the Candy20 and after taking the advice on this thread is was a lot more successful! Thank you all.
I think I was way to cautious to not put it on heavy and ended up too far away. This time I used less Reducer, got in closer and moved faster. It went on nice and even and without the rough texture. I still had some small pips in it even after straining, but I think it’s my bottle of 4030. Anyhow, that’s a different problem to tackle.

You use solvent paints so why not solvent candies? less messing than the candy2O Just saying :)

Lee
I have thought about it Mate. Only reason is that I haven’t got any Solvent Candies just yet.
I think I might wait for Christmas and see if Mick will do a deal on a set of his. He used to offer deals on the Inspire Candies for a set of 10, so I’m guessing he’d be up for it.

Back