Another Newbie

Wild.Bill

Double Actioner
Feel like I am just learning how to AB. I started a couple of years ago painting foam RC plane's I was making and started using the AB for better control than rattle cans. Nothing fancy - just some course designs.

A few months ago I started working at repainting a plastic RC sail boat with an acrylic paint - then the education began. The first pass looked OK at first but I used the wrong paint and I didn't hold up. I am about to start pass 2 with Wicked Opaque paint which I understand to be much harder.

I have spent a lot of time researching Air Brushes and paints and in the process discover AB art and have been working at learning good technique and will probably start my first are work this week. Not being an artist I am going to start with some impressionism style art.

I have a small booth set up with a 20x20 fan with a filter on the front of it. Its amazing how much paint shows up in the filter. I also got a small collection of brushes. Started with Master kit (like a lot of people), then got a Paasche Talon and a Badger 105 Patriot. And today I had a Creos 270 delivered so I am ready to try some finer art.

Well that's enough for now

Bill

Welcome Bill. Wicked paints are pretty tough, so I hope you have better results. Check the Createx website for the Data Sheets that give information on prep and application. Following those gives you your best chance at success.

Welcome Bill,
Can I ask you to pop your location (country & state if applicable) it helps if we recommend suppliers or resources.
Durability of paint will be helped with proper surface prep, especially with RC bodies, they need to be squeaky clean before starting with sealers etc.
Createx UVLS Gloss is currently recommended to help with adhesion.

Welcome Bill,
Can I ask you to pop your location (country & state if applicable) it helps if we recommend suppliers or resources.
Durability of paint will be helped with proper surface prep, especially with RC bodies, they need to be squeaky clean before starting with sealers etc.
Createx UVLS Gloss is currently recommended to help with adhesion.

Location added - I did get the Createx UVLS Gloss as well as the OPAQUE paint, I have read that its also good as a final layer to protect the paint under it. So that is what I am planning to do.

Bill

I am learning the tools, here is picture of the bottom of the boat that cracked. It has had epoxy inside and out, but you can still see the cracks.

IMG_1060.JPG

Location added - I did get the Createx UVLS Gloss as well as the OPAQUE paint, I have read that its also good as a final layer to protect the paint under it. So that is what I am planning to do.

Bill
The UVLS was originally a top coat but as time progressed they have discovered it’s great as an adhesion layer, a carrier for the Candy 2.0 as well as a top coat

Jackie is spot on. They do recommend spraying 4050 direct to the surface as a primer for some materials. I’ve found it be be really good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The boat project is going well. Because of color range on the boat I decided to use a gray Vallejo polyurethane primer (I had some) for a base to get an even color for the Blue Wicked Opaque to go on. I have two coats of the Blue down and its covering well. One more to go and then the clear.

I have also been spending some time every day to work on basic techniques to I can start trying to do some art work. My biggest problem at this time is making good daggers, just can't get them smooth enough but they are getting better. Also getting a better feel for different needle sizes with the Creos 270 at 0.2 and the Paasche Talon at 0.38

Bill

I have also been spending some time every day to work on basic techniques to I can start trying to do some art work. My biggest problem at this time is making good daggers, just can't get them smooth enough but they are getting better.

Bill

speed and confidence is the secret of a good dagger.
When I test spray my daggers they’re 99% perfect, when I work on the art piece they get a bit wobbly :D

Back