Another Newby Joiner to the ranks

V

V-Twin

Hi all, I have now (after several weeks faffing) finally managed to fully register and be able to post. Have been browsing around for a couple of months after seeing Mitch's youtube vids. Made me smile and chuckle and liked the way he delivered his content, and getting the airbrushing idea across.

Anyway, I have always been interested in art since school (a long time ago now), and was always doodling etc, but nothing serious, just for my own pleasure really. Many years ago I purchased a cheap airbrush and small diaphragm compressor from Machine Mart to paint my aircraft models and sons WH40K, but barely used it. This Christmas just gone (2017), my lovely wife bought me a H&S Evolution CRplus 2in1. I tried using it with the Machine Mart compressor, but with it being a diaphragm I got lots of dots instead of a nice steady line and my ears could not stand the noise. Soooo; I bought a Bambi BB24V Silent Compressor with Birthday money, and have not looked back (silent, as in household fridge noise silent and steady air stream).
I practiced lots of dots, lines, fades and daggers, but I still have problems doing dagger strokes to Mitch's level! More practice obviously needed.
I am on a steep learning curve and have produced 5 paintings thus far on differing substrates (Water colour paper, Canvas board, Canvas Pad, Acrylic Paper) and have just bought 3 cheap stretched canvases from the 'The Works' My first painting was done on water colour paper using Createx Black and White with some Com-Art Red. Thereafter I am now using Com-Art (Opaque and Transparent) sets 'A' and 'E' with some Winsor & Newton Galeria. I have also just bought 6 pots of FW acrylic Ink but not used any yet.

So lots of experimenting with paint manufacturers and substrates, but my biggest problem is mixing the basic colours to get something else I need. I don't paint every day, as I am splitting my time between looking for a job (made redundant 3 months ago) and helping my son and daughter-in-law with their recently newborn. That and trying to make my paint go as far as it can (due to no income), and it does not seem to be cheap stuff, well anything that is worth using anyway.

So will have some questions and stuff to chuck out there and hope you don't get too peeved from silly questions, as at the end of the day I really want to produce some good standard fine art stuff and not end up in the club of 'All the toys but no idea'!.

regards to all.

Welcome aboard @V-Twin! You have a really nice airbrush there (I have an H&S Infinity) :thumbsup: H&S make some good brushes. You seem to mention having issues with Createx. That's how I started out. It does take a certain amount [a little/a lot/never going to happen] of experimenting to get a feel for the Createx paint. Since a lot of people use it here, it must be possible. lol Like you I found Com-Art to be much easier to deal with.
Lots of folks here to help with any issues or questions you may have.
Have fun and as Mitch would say, spread the love.

Welcome aboard from Australia, nice setup you have so far, the only other question I have is where on the planet do you call home ?

post up what you’ve done so we can all see where you’re at so far, we enjoy watching everyone’s journeys :)

HellBird, many thanks and I am sure I will learn lots from peeps here.
The Createx did give me a lot of tip dry, but it was from here and other net research that I went for Com-Art as it being newby friendly and a good paint to boot. I am still unsure of pressures to use, but seemed to have settled between 10 to 20 psi.
I have also done a mix of painting types, ie: totally freehand (drawn and painted), using a stencil (cut the picture apart) and torn bits of paper as needed and do enjoy doing it once I sit down to start.

Welcome aboard from Australia, nice setup you have so far, the only other question I have is where on the planet do you call home ?

post up what you’ve done so we can all see where you’re at so far, we enjoy watching everyone’s journeys :)

Oh yea :), I hail from UK and settled in a part of the East Midlands, mainly due to where I served in the military most.
I will get my photos sorted and try to post some up for you all to shout at; actually looking forward to hearing (good and bad) peoples thoughts on how I can improve on them.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the H&S club lol. Can't wait to see your artwork!

Welcome from the South! By the sounds of it your off to a good start, look forward to seeing some of the pictures.

Ok all, have posted pics up in the Works In Progress forum of all my attempts to date from very first to current Work in Progress.
Load your guns and shoot (well, not literally) :)

Back