ANOTHER PAINT QUESTION

This stuff is what you add to the golden Fluid acrylic (not the Golden High Flow) to make it suitable for the airbrush.

Hmmmm...not by what I’m reading

High Flow Medium — Golden's thinnest acrylic medium, High Flow Medium (formerly Transparent Extender) thins and extends acrylic colors. Brush or spray this medium to extend High Flow Acrylics or to lower the viscosity and increase the flow and leveling of acrylic paints and mediums.

Looking at the description there's a chance that the paint will be thin enough to paint with just using the extender, then again you may need to add some water. No biggie whatever the outcome.

Lee

This issue is actually close to one I am facing right now. I just received a huge bottle of Golden Airbrush Transparent Extender that I ordered, and I am trying to make sense of it how to apply it properly. Sorry, beginner-James, it's not my intention to hijack your thread. I understand that this extender is preserving the molecular structure of the acrylics (whilst water is breaking it down) and makes the paint more transparent, with the added benefit of less tip dry. So far, I observed the former to be true, the latter not. I feel my brush is clogging to the same degree as before. What do you guys do? Do you mix a bottle with a certain ratio water / extender, and then add this to the paint in order to also achieve a thinner paint? Would be interesting to hear your daily practice on this...

This issue is actually close to one I am facing right now. I just received a huge bottle of Golden Airbrush Transparent Extender that I ordered, and I am trying to make sense of it how to apply it properly. Sorry, beginner-James, it's not my intention to hijack your thread. I understand that this extender is preserving the molecular structure of the acrylics (whilst water is breaking it down) and makes the paint more transparent, with the added benefit of less tip dry. So far, I observed the former to be true, the latter not. I feel my brush is clogging to the same degree as before. What do you guys do? Do you mix a bottle with a certain ratio water / extender, and then add this to the paint in order to also achieve a thinner paint? Would be interesting to hear your daily practice on this...
You are more than welcome i believe you add 10 drop of retarder to 3 drops of paint and then 3 or 4 drops of water depending on paper or material you are using

Transparent base can be used in many ways depending on if you want a color wash or just want a transparent color.
Most of the time on just making a transparent color I will add 50/50 so 5 drops color to 5 drops transparent base. If I am making a wash I will add 1 drops color to 9 drops transparent base , Depending on the color sometimes I will add more transparent base .
But there is no rule on how much transparent base you need to add just do a mix , Test it to see if it has the look you want and go for it.
Being I use the 4020 automotive reducer with everything I never add water LOL . But with golden I have found that the 4012 will cause seeding in the paint. sometime even water with a touch of alcohol for faster drying time will cause seeding in Golden fluid colors and the High flow.

Transparent base can be used in many ways depending on if you want a color wash or just want a transparent color.
Most of the time on just making a transparent color I will add 50/50 so 5 drops color to 5 drops transparent base. If I am making a wash I will add 1 drops color to 9 drops transparent base , Depending on the color sometimes I will add more transparent base .
But there is no rule on how much transparent base you need to add just do a mix , Test it to see if it has the look you want and go for it.
Being I use the 4020 automotive reducer with everything I never add water LOL . But with golden I have found that the 4012 will cause seeding in the paint. sometime even water with a touch of alcohol for faster drying time will cause seeding in Golden fluid colors and the High flow.
Mr. Micron, very helpful, thanks. Please forgive my ignorance, but what is "color wash"? What do you achieve with it?

Mr. Micron, very helpful, thanks. Please forgive my ignorance, but what is "color wash"? What do you achieve with it?
Some called it glazing some called it a wash , It is where the color is so fate is only enhances what is underneath . I am not sure how old you are but the term White wash fence comes to mind , They would use super watered down paint so the natural wood grain would show through the white color.
When I first tried my hand at a portrait I was instructed to use a wash of red over the darkest areas and yellow over the lightest so it would give the flesh tone I was using at the time a more natural feel.

Airbrush medium is intended to make the fluid acrylic line useable for airbrushing on fabric.

High flow medium is intended for high flow. (high flow medium used to be called airbrush transparent extender)

Retarder is another product altogether.

and
Airbrush Medium also functions as an extender for applications requiring greater transparency and longer open time.We generally do not recommend using the Airbrush Medium with the pre-made GOLDENHigh Flow Acrylics because this creates a very slow drying, potentially weaker paint film, with poor frisket performance (color sticking to frisket or masking films) until the film sufficiently dries. When frisketing is of critical importance, use GOLDEN Airbrush Transparent Extender to blend with theHigh Flow Acrylicsor other acrylics. Transparent Extender is recommended whenever a mixture requires Airbrush Medium additions greater than 2 parts medium to 1 part paint. This will yield a paint system that dries quickly, friskets well, and has excellent sprayability.

So airbrush transparent extender aka high flow medium is your trans base for high flow.
airbrush medium is for turning fluid acrylics into multisurface, airbrushable heat setting paint.

Appears to me that your order @beginner-James was for airbrush transparent extender aka high flow medium under the old name.....unless they send you airbrush medium then i think you got what youre looking for

Airbrush medium is intended to make the fluid acrylic line useable for airbrushing on fabric.

High flow medium is intended for high flow. (high flow medium used to be called airbrush transparent extender)

Retarder is another product altogether.

and
Airbrush Medium also functions as an extender for applications requiring greater transparency and longer open time.We generally do not recommend using the Airbrush Medium with the pre-made GOLDENHigh Flow Acrylics because this creates a very slow drying, potentially weaker paint film, with poor frisket performance (color sticking to frisket or masking films) until the film sufficiently dries. When frisketing is of critical importance, use GOLDEN Airbrush Transparent Extender to blend with theHigh Flow Acrylicsor other acrylics. Transparent Extender is recommended whenever a mixture requires Airbrush Medium additions greater than 2 parts medium to 1 part paint. This will yield a paint system that dries quickly, friskets well, and has excellent sprayability.

So airbrush transparent extender aka high flow medium is your trans base for high flow.
airbrush medium is for turning fluid acrylics into multisurface, airbrushable heat setting paint.

Appears to me that your order @beginner-James was for airbrush transparent extender aka high flow medium under the old name.....unless they send you airbrush medium then i think you got what youre looking for

I've been using the "airbrush medium" with both Golden fluid acrylics and Golden high flow acrylics ever since I started out with airbrush and have never had any problems with it, their data sheet states they "generally don't recommend" it's use with fluid acrylics, even using a mix of one drop paint to five drops medium I've experienced no drying issues, in fact it dries quicker than Com-Art and E'tac and also dries more solid, I have noticed if it's left overnight it can be harder to erase/scratch.

I chose the airbrush medium over the transparent extender because although it's main intention wasn't transparency it does do that but it also allows the user to add other non airbrush specific acrylics to make them usable through an airbrush, and other non Golden brand acrylics can be added to it without issue as long they don't contain solvents mild or otherwise.

Since I never ever use Frisket or any other masking films or tapes on my work other than masking a border, the problems mentioned will certainly not be an issue for me.

I've been using the "airbrush medium" with both Golden fluid acrylics and Golden high flow acrylics ever since I started out with airbrush and have never had any problems with it, their data sheet states they "generally don't recommend" it's use with fluid acrylics, even using a mix of one drop paint to five drops medium I've experienced no drying issues, in fact it dries quicker than Com-Art and E'tac and also dries more solid, I have noticed if it's left overnight it can be harder to erase/scratch.

I chose the airbrush medium over the transparent extender because although it's main intention wasn't transparency it does do that but it also allows the user to add other non airbrush specific acrylics to make them usable through an airbrush, and other non Golden brand acrylics can be added to it without issue as long they don't contain solvents mild or otherwise.

Since I never ever use Frisket or any other masking films or tapes on my work other than masking a border, the problems mentioned will certainly not be an issue for me.

Definitely, thats why i said intended.....We all do what we want anyhow and make things suit our purposes.

Its high flow it says they dont recommend it with though, not the fluid acrylics. At least the sheet i'm looking at.

I think it might be handy to have both and blend to what works best for the brush/person

Definitely, thats why i said intended.....We all do what we want anyhow and make things suit our purposes.

Its high flow it says they dont recommend it with though, not the fluid acrylics. At least the sheet i'm looking at.

I think it might be handy to have both and blend to what works best for the brush/person

Well I've used it mostly with the High Flow since I moved over to that as soon it was released, but as I said no issues, I had serious problems trying to use Frisket shortly before I started using Golden paints, the experience was bad enough to not want to try ever using the stuff ever again so rather than risk disaster I just use a magnetic white board and use lose shields and masks held with magnets when I need to, I have no doubt I'll eventually stock up on all the mediums, although, if I can find Com-Art locally I'm more leaning towards using that in the future.

Something about the look of com-art that doesnt appeal to me...IDK what it is. Id like to use more jacquard and badger paint products though, I think its very under-used, the stuff i have tried was excellent.

Something about the look of com-art that doesnt appeal to me...IDK what it is. Id like to use more jacquard and badger paint products though, I think its very under-used, the stuff i have tried was excellent.

I would like to try Badger paint too but that is not going to happen without a hefty shipping bill as well as the thieving bastard post office here taking their cut, I would end up paying 3 times its worth and I'm not about to do that, if I cant get it in the UK or closest by Europe I won't get it at all, I can get all the golden I want local which is why I have it now but I would prefer Com-Art if I can find larger bottles than the silly little sets they have on E bay and Amazon, I've always had good results with Com-Art, I found it very very easy to work with, it's just not that easy to find, it amazes me that vendors who stock all Iwata airbrushes and parts don't stock Com-Art.

I would like to try Badger paint too but that is not going to happen without a hefty shipping bill as well as the thieving bastard post office here taking their cut, I would end up paying 3 times its worth and I'm not about to do that, if I cant get it in the UK or closest by Europe I won't get it at all, I can get all the golden I want local which is why I have it now but I would prefer Com-Art if I can find larger bottles than the silly little sets they have on E bay and Amazon, I've always had good results with Com-Art, I found it very very easy to work with, it's just not that easy to find, it amazes me that vendors who stock all Iwata airbrushes and parts don't stock Com-Art.
Have you used Etac? or is there some reason thats not a good option?
Only reason I've shied away from it is because when i first looked at them their additive system uses wierd names and the descriptions of what each does overlap and read in a very confusing manner.

Yeah it doesnt seem like they push com-art much. My thing with it is that it seems kind of watercolor-ish to me...but it may be in my head because I know that was my first impression when looking at the little color squares printed on the package i bought....which seemed faded. It also seems to bead up at odd times like maybe its very sensitive to fingerprints on less porous surfaces or something.

Back