USA Another paper TerraSlate paper

basepaint

Air-Valve Autobot!
While looking for synthetic paper i found TerraSlate paper company ans saw that they send out Free sample packs of there paper so I sent a request on line and received there package in the mail today. Comes with
Sheets of paper 8 1/2x 11 inchs
2 - 4 mil
2- 7 mil
2- 10 mill
2- 14 mill
So off I went to see if it would work for the AB?
Here's my test spray with Golden high flow
It works Great and the price is great about 34 cents a piece mimn. order is 100 sheets,it also comes in diff sizes

20171229_151455.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
While looking for synthetic paper i found TerraSlate paper company ans saw that they send out Free sample packs of there paper so I sent a request on line and received there package in the mail today. Comes with
2 - 4 mil
2- 7 mil
2- 10 mill
2- 14 mill
Here's my test spray with Golden high flowView attachment 51656
It works Great and the price is great about 34 cents a piece mimn. order is 100 sheets
Just remember, paper for art newds to last a long time. To play it is fine if rhe paper goes yellow in a year to but if you sell the artwork I don't think the client will be happy if the paper goes bad. I think it is only Dru's paper that is archivel.

2 - 4 mil
2- 7 mil
2- 10 mill
2- 14 mill
Here's my test spray with Golden high flowView attachment 51656
It works Great and the price is great about 34 cents a piece mimn. order is 100 sheets

I bought some through amazon back in the fall and I really like it. It has a coating on top of the plastic base that takes paint very good. I think I tried it with E'tac and also Createx ill. Mine is the 7 mil weight. I also played with photoshop and made a very faint image to print on it since it is a laser jet printer paper. It scratches and erases very good. They advertise that it is made to print menu's and such on it without any water damage to it. @GregStith has used it also and I think I got the info from him about it. Windex will clean it good but don't use alcohol before cause it will remove the coating and will reveal the plastic base. Don't ask how I know. :eek:

Yes I have the paper and I can’t tell any difference in performance compared to the paper Dru sells. I’ve been painting on Clayboard recently for customers but when I get back to painting for myself I’ll be using the Terra Slate again. I got a 25 sheet pack when I ordered.

Just remember, paper for art newds to last a long time. To play it is fine if rhe paper goes yellow in a year to but if you sell the artwork I don't think the client will be happy if the paper goes bad. I think it is only Dru's paper that is archivel.
Apparently this is as well
Ultra-brilliant white paper provides increased contrast for blacks and higher intensity for color; Acid-free for increased quality and durability. TerraSlate will never yellow or disintegrate, even if left in direct sunlight or under water – ideal for archiving;

I just got a sample pack of this paper - terraslate, and am so far very pleased with it. All I have done so far are some sample sprayings, followed by a bit of manipulation - scratching, erasing, wooden dowel, etc, and am pleased with what I am seeing. Gonna start a painting on it this afternoon, and see what I see.

I will have to do a write up with some photo's and such - but, here are my initial impressions of the Terraslate:

The paper has a pretty nice tooth to it, which you can feel when rubbing it between your fingers. Yupo in comparison, is much smoother feeling. My first test was to take some Com-art Transparent Smoke (remember Com-art here), and try some simple spray tests. Some lines, gradual shading, and some built up overlays of spray. The paint laid very nicely on the paper, and dried evenly. Just a few minutes after application I tried erasing, scratching, and hitting it with a wooden dowel - and was quite satisfied with all the results I got. After allowing the paint to dry for about half an hour, I got the idea to try some colored pencils on the paper, as like I mentioned earlier, it has a fairly nice feeling tooth to it. I was using Faber-Castell Albrecht Durer Watercolor Pencils. They actually lay down quite nicely on the paper, blend very well, and erase completely without damaging the papers surface. While I was at it, I decided to try layering the colored pencil on top of the sprayed areas I laid down earlier. Worked like a charm. On Yupo, the paint would have peeled or chipped as if I was using a wooden dowel.

After some time, I wanted to try a different effect so went back into the studio, and sprayed a few light layers of Com-art Chrome Green. Waited a little while, and tried a few different erasing techniques. Trouble came when I tried to layer over it again with another coat of Chrome Green. The paint lifted, or re-wetted. Instead of building layers, I was shooting back to white base - My fingers also started smudging the surrounding areas... I had none of this trouble with the transparent smoke I tried earlier.

So, I switched to Golden High Flow, and had no trouble at all with a few tests that I tried. No idea if it was just the Com-art chrome green, or if other Com-art colors might not be a good mix with the Terraslate... I will do more testing with Golden colors tomorrow. Maybe some more with the Com-art also, as I have a good collection of them now.

Last edited:
I will have to do a write up with some photo's and such - but, here are my initial impressions of the Terraslate:

The paper has a pretty nice tooth to it, which you can feel when rubbing it between your fingers. Yupo in comparison, is much smoother feeling. My first test was o take some Com-art Transparent Smoke (remember Com-art here), and try some simple spray tests. Some lines, gradual shading, and some built up overlays of spray. The paint laid very nicely on the paper, and dried evenly. Just a few minutes after application I tried erasing, scratching, and hitting it with a wooden dowel - and was quite satisfied with all the results I got. After allowing the paint to dry for about half an hours, I got the idea to try some colored pencils on the paper, as like I mentioned earlier, it has a fairly nice feeling tooth to it. I was using Faber-Castell Albrecht Durer Watercolor Pencils. They actually lay down quite nicely on the paper, blend very well, and erase completely without damaging the papers surface. While I was at it, I decided to try layering the colored pencil on top of the sprayed areas I laid down earlier. Worked like a charm. On Yupo, the paint would have peeled or chipped as if I was using a wooden dowel.

After some time, I wanted to try a different effect so went back into the studio, and sprayed a few light layers of Com-art Chrome Green. Waited a little while, and tried a few different erasing techniques. Trouble came when I tried to layer over it again with another coat of Chrome Green. The paint lifted, or re-wetted. Instead of building layers, I was shooting back to white base - My fingers also started smudging the surrounding areas... I had none of this trouble with the transparent smoke I tried earlier.

So, I switched to Golden High Flow, and had no trouble at all with a few tests that I tried. No idea if it was just the Com-art chrome green, or if other Com-art colors might not be a good mix with the Terraslate... I ill do more testing with Golden colors tomorrow. Maybe some more with the com-art also, as I have a good collection of them now.
Always love how clear your explanations are of exactly what was tried and exactly what worked well or didnt!

I remember when I got my first pack of Terraslate, I tried cleaning it for finger prints and such with alcohol as I have with Yupo. Alcohol will take the layer off of what ever it is they put over the plastic. Windex w/o ammonia is what I finally cleaned it with. Didn't harm the paper at all with this.
I am still trying to remember what paint I used and I think it was Createx Ill. Worked great.
The paper is made to use a laser jet printer with it and I did an outline through photoshop, lightened it up a lot and printed the very faint outline of the subject I was working on through the laser jet. Worked great doing the initial outline this way. I have the 7 mil. thickness and don't know how the thicker ones would go through the printer.
Can't wait to see some more of this paper being used and how folks like or disslike it.

I just ordered the sample pack thanks to you fine people. I've almost ordered some from amazon, it's still sitting in the cart for another order. But I sawyou guys mention the free sample pack and snatched one up to try...thx

hey you can't beat free, The Yupo paper I tried was free too but they would only send it to my work address being I do work in the preservation field .
At least I get this order sent ot the house.:D

I ordered the sample pack of 11"X17" ($5.00 shipped) so, have a 11X14 piece of the 10mil laid out and ready to start painting. Will have a go at it this evening, but feel quite confident it is going to be perfect for what I want to do. I'll start a new thread with the illustration, steps and observations as I work my way through the painting.

I ordered the sample pack of 11"X17" ($5.00 shipped) so, have a 11X14 piece of the 10mil laid out and ready to start painting. Will have a go at it this evening, but feel quite confident it is going to be perfect for what I want to do. I'll start a new thread with the illustration, steps and observations as I work my way through the painting.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it as well .

Very interested in what comes out of it. Looking foward to it

This sounds very promising. It’s nice to see they stand by the fact that their product won’t yellow over time. Price seems good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back