Any advice would be greatful

C

corky

Four days playing with my new airbrush only ever used HVLP guns before, I’m finding it difficult to keeping the air on and releasing the paint. I’ve done some test papers the black ones are day three and the red ones are day four. I thought I would post them for any advice, most of my problems come from reducing the paint I’m using wicked paints and a badger krome airbrush. Air pressure is another problem I’ve gone from 5 to 35 psi but I can’t get a good coverage from the brush.

Thank for any advise

Corky

New to airbrushing but very interested

Attachments

• sky7.jpg
    sky7.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 37
  • sky6.jpg
    sky6.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 31
  • sky1.jpg
    sky1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 35
  • sky.jpg
    sky.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 30
  • sky4.jpg
    sky4.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 28
  • sky3.jpg
    sky3.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 27
  • sky5.jpg
    sky5.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 26
  • sky2.jpg
    sky2.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:
I can't get a really good look because the pics are very small. But from why u can tell. The thickness and thinness of your lines vary, even in the same line. This is either caused by pulling the trigger more and less in the same line, or not a consistent speed.
What ratio are you reducing the paint. It should be pretty thin with the Krome maybe 8 to 1 drop paint or thinner.
What you are doing is best for getting the motions of air on and off and stopping the paint Just practice or just paint for practice to, don't try to paint a masterpiece, just paint. I have used coloring books when starting out with only one color. Really helps the control and if you mess up, turn the page and start another one
If I could see the pics better I could maybe help more.

Josh

! drop paint to 8 to 15 drops reducer. air pressure 20 PSI , Now on my HVLP gun it has a 2 stage trigger. First stage soft pull for air on second stage harder feel to it paint out.
Mainly you have pretty good line control just a lot of start and stop points. also after every line you paint take a soft cloth and wipe the needle to ensure your problem is not due to tip dry. Or do a fast spray out to blow to clear the tip.
as far as coverage you are not painting a car now you are airbrushing so sometimes depending on the type of paint and brand you are using you will have to make multiple passes to get full coverage, Also Transparent vs Opaque makes a different. Wicked vs wicked detail also makes a difference. The detail seems to be a bit more transparent that the Wicked.
As for you dots the look great. Spot on LOL sorry could not resist.

I’m finding it difficult to keeping the air on and releasing the paint

Its a common thing m8, especially when peeps start out, they tend to release both at the same time..A few more days practice and no doubt you'll get past this aspect..Just keep pushing down LOL

Thanks for the advice

I've taken all your advice onboard thanks very much, I've uploaded some examples hopefully a bit bigger but my photography is about as good as my airbrushing. I tried mixing my paint 8 parts reducer to 1 part paint seemed a lot better but I've tried changing to spectra tex, got the primary set (NOT FROM UP H'ANDLEY DUCK) seems more user friendly. I stole a coloring book off my 8 year old daughter not very impressed with me, so I’m still practicing at least 2 hours a day getting through loads of paper.

Thanks again

Corky

Attachments

• DSCF0047.jpg
    DSCF0047.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF0049.jpg
    DSCF0049.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0046.jpg
    DSCF0046.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 22
lookin loads better all ready mate, and if you can practice /paint for 2 hours per day you will quickly improve.I know thats kind of the time I was investing when I started.....then I realised I needed to be doing more....specially when big brother, I'm a celebrity and other pap is on the telly.....mrs had forgotten what I look like!

You can see you are getting it, it really comes down to practise, try and spray every day if you can, don't get obsessed with trying to paint hair lines focus more on blends and daggers

lookin loads better all ready mate, and if you can practice /paint for 2 hours per day you will quickly improve.I know thats kind of the time I was investing when I started.....then I realised I needed to be doing more....specially when big brother, I'm a celebrity and other pap is on the telly.....mrs had forgotten what I look like!

Thanks. my wife is the same in our house she watches all the soaps, so im spending a lot more time in my garage, if im not practicing with the airbrush im messing with my motorbikes.

Sounds like my house but without the crap telly shows. We're either messing with bikes, or I'm painting, or someone comes over and we're talking about messing with bikes or painting. But quite often I'm in my shed and he's in the garage, and we see each other only for tea breaks Lol!

Anyway, that gives you loads of time to practice, and you know what practice makes right? Makes you realise you need more practice Lol, well does for me anyway. Keep these first efforts, then look back in a couple of weeks, and compare it to your latest stuff, you'll be surprised how much you will have improved.

so painting on motorbikes is the dream then corky? don't rush that......give it 6 month, do it as a summer job....after all it wants to be perfect

so painting on motorbikes is the dream then corky? don't rush that......give it 6 month, do it as a summer job....after all it wants to be perfect

6 months I was looking at about 6 years. I think when I’m ready I’ll be doing my helmet first but that’s a long way off yet I’m in no rush, I want to do my helmet with something on there that resembles my bike maybe a Ducati Corse badge on there but I’ve not been looking yet,

Sounds like my house but without the crap telly shows. We're either messing with bikes, or I'm painting, or someone comes over and we're talking about messing with bikes or painting. But quite often I'm in my shed and he's in the garage, and we see each other only for tea breaks Lol!

Sounds like a marriage made in heaven

Back