Any experience with Spectra-Tex or Air Opaque?

tatocorvette

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hello,

I've been airbrushing automotive lacquer and hobby enamels all my life. Inspired in all of what you do and I see here, I am curious about trying some illustration art. I don't see myself changing from scale models to artwork, but I'd like to try it. One of my main curiosities is airbrushing paints that don't require respirators, goggles, gloves, permits and a mile evacuation radius.
Anybody has any experience with Spectra-Tex or Air Opaque lines of paints? Differences between them?
Since I have to mail order everything it is not that simple to "get a sample and try it". Shipping costs are a nuisance.

Thanks,
Ismael

I used them maybe 35 years ago... might even still have some air opaque around here. They're ok. These days I would go with something like Com-art or Golden, though. Main reason(s) would be ease of use. Golden high flow is a very high quality product that works very, very well.

Spectra-tex was a color line added to compete in the textile (t-shirt) market. Air Opaque was supposedly more illustration based. They also introduced an additive for the air opaque for use on textiles - In general, I find the air opaque colors to be more chalky, or dull looking compared to the spectra-tex - which tend to be more bright, and transparent. I did a LOT of work with the air opaques back in the late 80's early 90's, but never really came to terms with the spectra-tex. On hard surfaces I had trouble with build ups becoming gummy, or remaining tacky for long periods of time. I never looked back at either once I started using com-art colors... These days I still use Com-art, Golden, and Createx illustration colors the most. Oh, also E'tac - I have been using them more and more in recent years.

Back