For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Anyone been to a airbrushaction getaway?

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Tocean, May 1, 2018.

1. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

I guess you could treat it like some other art, do an original piece and then have copies printedon shirts. But then starting off with the shirt would still be pointless since it wouldnt matter what the original was on.
  2. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Needle-chuck Ninja

I remember I was gonna do a Transformers shirt for a little cousin. I just happened to be at a Walmart looking around and they had a pile of transformers related gear, all perfectly printed and full of detail. That shot my idea right down. I'm not gonna spend hours doing up a shirt when they can be had with more detail than I cared to provide for less than $12.
    Robbyrockett2 likes this.
  3. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

It doesn't really interest me to be honest, the two I did were both tigers which I like, it would have been only one but my ex wife wanted one, I generally only paint things that I like, then frame to hang on my own walls or on rare occasions, give to family.

I haven't painted anything in the last 18 months but slowly getting everything together to get started again, all I need now is some more paints which I'll have by the weekend, but I'm battling illnesses which limit what I can do now, I bought my compressor just before Xmas but I have to wait till my son visits on Friday to get it out of my cupboard and place it where I'll be working, he helped to move it around when I put all the fittings on it so it's ready to use, I expect to start painting something by Monday.

I don't plan on painting anything bigger than A4, and will be able to join in on paint pals when it comes, I always feel a little guilty sending a drawing, I'll do what Micron man does and do a load up front:)

I'm looking forward to it.
    Jonathon, RichardH and Robbyrockett2 like this.
  4. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja

It all depends of a business model guys and people which are willing to buy original t-shirt.

400bucks t-shirt
    https://mindlesspaint.com/mad-max-immortan-joe-graffiti-painted-shirt/

Now the question which I am asking myself is, would you be willing to make one t-shirt for 400 bucks? I guess not :D

Let's leave info if he will sell that t-shirt for 400 bucks for now. :) Would you do it for 200 bucks? What is your price? Or is it just principle cause your art won't last on a t-shirt?

One t-shirt can make his owner very happy and have good positive effect on a person which wears that t-shirt. Including with bigger Self-esteem.

I know this hoodie was bought as a gift present from mom to her daughter as a birthday present. Was watching video when he was making it. That girl commented that her mom ordered that on that video.If it's true only gods know, but let's just assume it's true
    https://mindlesspaint.com/rick-and-morty-airbrush-custom-hoodie/

So if we take in calculation you don't do t-shirts cause art doesn't last is there a price and how much it is for you guys to make an original t-shirt?
  5. Robbyrockett2

Thats awesome to hear you'll be back in the AB game. I doubt if anyone ever felt let down by a drawing though.
    The shirt thing doesnt interest me much either, basically for the resasons @Leakyvalve mentioned.
    Everything we all brought up is probably why a lot of people think airbrush is hokey. The t shirt guys at fairs that script something and toss some bright colors behind it is their only exposure.
  6. Robbyrockett2

haha good example, I just bought a rick and morty t-shirt online for $6

Anything with a fair amount of detail takes me a good 10hrs
    The best detail I can pull off is gonna run closer to 20 hours
    I do nothing for less than $20/hr +materials+other cost , on the cheap side/ normal is more like 50 + all that
    I would have an extremely hard time selling a $400 shirt let alone $1000
    but I can easily get that for a tank or hood.

I think most people have figured the same thing so if each shirt costs $20 and 50% of that is materials and booth rent/gas/ hotels whatever then the shirts each have to be made in 20 minutes or less. Thus the typical artwork you see on shirts. I'll do $20 t shirts sure but youll get whatever I can make in 20 minutes or less.

nothing wrong with doing shirts, Just the economics usually make it senseless to get all detailed about it.
    Heck I did some shoes, but that was just a fun little personal project, Its not like I put a portrait on them for $15
    Even if a had, Doing it for fun and love is another story. If i put 40 hours in a shirt for my wife, well whatever It wasnt for business.

Tiny Riiick! Whatuup!
    Leakyvalve and huskystafford like this.
  7. Tocean

Tocean Needle-chuck Ninja Very Likeable!

Thanks for the responses it gave me some things to think about that I wasn't considering, I was thinking more along the lines of beach scenes(like that Terry Hill video:thumbsup:), shells and my cartoon fish, I have no interest in spraying say Micky Mouse(I hate disney with a passion), guess I could turn away these people and try to find other things to sell. I have a large pile various substrates from working in the sign business over the yeas. Also thinking about those sand dollars I'd make a mold and cast, and could see a couple other beachy things to do with this.

Everything we all brought up is probably why a lot of people think airbrush is hokey

I have to say this bothers me but I realize where it comes from, it's where I don't want to go, it's a shame people in general think that way and I don't want to contribute to the image, this site alone shows how great of art airbrushers can do, but yeah - time+effort+investment=award that hopefully can pay the bills:cool:
    Robbyrockett2 likes this.
  8. Robbyrockett2

Might check out the sponge docks too. Basically two blocks of greek restaurants and shell shops, just north of tampa. Sand dollars, sea fans, and whatever else you can think of. Some of the better deals to be had especially off season. I sourced a bunch of coral and sea fans there to make molds for a project for sea world and bought sea sponge for texture painting for much less than any store i could find. sand dollars may be available for less than the cost of each cast one.
    In any case its a good source for beachy stuff that can be used or molded from.
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
  9. Robbyrockett2

One other novel idea (i think) Mix a little sand from the beach youll be near with a soft paint, roll it it on the shirt where the sand would actually be. Then do the rest of your painting on it. People eat that up. Your giving them something that couldnt be had anywhere else in the world. They can literally take the beach with them.
  10. Tocean

Tocean Needle-chuck Ninja Very Likeable!

I've been to that town it's called Tarpon Springs, unfortunately 5-6 hour drive from me, just trying to be environmentally sound, not sure if they take that stuff alive which I don't believe in, I can get sea fans and sponges that wash up on the beach where I live or go out snorkeling/scuba diving, I have a couple bags full in my warehouse and screwed around spraying through the sponges which produced some interesting textures -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    HellBird and doc1 like this.