For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Anyone else into old or unique airbrushes?

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by 2Diverse, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

That's actually the Raven 2.
    Idk much about em just someome had bought one and posted it up here so I was aware of it and the rainbow pot.

The pot was obviously a fail, switch colors and 6 days later you get a mixture, 9 days later you start getting the new color lol.
  2. 2Diverse

2Diverse Young Tutorling

I did find one post here where DaveG had mentioned it. As you said, didn't work well. Seems to me it might have been geared toward the airbrush artist at the mall. Wouldn't take up too much room. "Quick" color changes, etc. Does seem like it would waste a lot of paint.

I found another post with just the side feed airbrush, no pot.
  3. Chris the Cabbie

Chris the Cabbie Spider Splatterer

Robby,
    Gotta correct you on the supposition on the Raven and Raven 2 as I have both and completed teardowns on both. They have nothing in common (parts wise)with any T&C brush. The only thing in any way common is the reimagined regulator head set up. The airvalve is real odd duck in that the spring is a conical spring! I cannot ever recall seeing one used before on an airbrush until coming across this one. While the design cues are derivative of other manufacturers like Paasche and T&C to be sure but I saw nothing of Badger or Wold in mine.
    Regards,
    Chris the cabbie
  4. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Yeah I guess so, didn't look close enough at the Raven.

Still, I'd be surprised if they weren't linked, In at least using the same subs to make make parts.
  5. Chris the Cabbie

Robby,

Same subcontractors are possible but not the parts. Lord knows it would make finding spares soooooo much easier! LOL
    Regards,
    Chris the cabbie
  6. 2Diverse

2Diverse Young Tutorling

Here is the reason behind my interest in the Raven. I purchased this a week ago and it, finally, arrived today.

I know most of the Chameleon parts aren't here, I bought it thinking I could use it as a side feed.

Some quick observations, I tried cups from my 100XF and my V and neither one fit. The hole in the Binks is larger. It has the stiffest trigger spring I have ever come across. It takes quite a bit of effort to pull the trigger back. Half of the other spare parts are a mix of Paasche and Badger (3rd pic). I'm not certain if the black piece above the flat, round pot piece is for this brush or another? I suspect the "rod" to it's left is a reaming tool? The case looks to be made from oak, not sure it is the correct box. There are three teflon seals on the yellow wire tie.

Chris the Cabbie, if you have pics of yours disassembled I would really like to see them before I start to take this one apart, please. If you can tell me what cup may fit I would appreciate that information also. I looked at the pics in your thread on yours. It does look like there is a wheel in front of your trigger. This one does not have that.

[​IMG]paralyzing palm new vegas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Chris the Cabbie

I haven't taken any pics of mine disassembled. I parted out the stock Raven as when bought off eBay, the airvalve was loose and free turning, a parts brush. I ended up needing the fluid nozzle(the big part under the tail end of the brush in pic#2). I also got a spare color cup and an unopened bag with all the seals and needle bearing with replacement tool. If you'd like to give me a call, I can walk you through it and give you the benefit of my experience. PM following...
    Regards,
    Chris the cabbie
    2Diverse likes this.
  8. 2Diverse

2Diverse Young Tutorling

Thank you for your phone number Chris the cabbie. I am not to the point of taking the front apart yet. I took the back end apart yesterday. Quite a different airbrush as I well imagine that you know first-hand. I did read the post you put up of yours. Mine has a plastic needle chuck also. There is a pin inside the shell, behind the trigger, that the needle chuck has to line up to move it into position.

I need a couple parts for the air compressor I use. That, and the fact I don't have a cup that will fit it makes it pretty much a shelf brush.

When I get to the point of taking the rest of it apart I'll PM you for a good day and time, if that works for you.

The left hole looks as if has been blocked off by what seems might be a plastic plug. I really don't want to pick at it, yet. Another thing that doesn't seem to make sense to me is the collar that mounts to the shell. The fluid passage is on the left, the side that is blocked off. Then again, considering how many extra parts not related to this airbrush there are it may have just been a "let's bundle all the airbrush stuff that's left" and sell it together.

If the two knobs (the end tip and the knurled one in front of it) on the end of the handle have a purpose I do not know what that is. 2nd pic also shows the plastic needle chuck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. Chris the Cabbie

The back end is a real odd set up in that it is like a Thayer & Chandler A Elite with the needle limiter but has a 2nd adjustment allowing to become a single action brush as well! Mine has the same plug on the front left side(I prefer right side feed) and haven't tried to pull the plastic plug to switch sides. Once you see what is going on under the fluid nozzle, your eyes will bug out. You have been warned! Not that eleves live in there or anything but it is really strange in how it is set up.
    Regards,
    Chris the cabbie
  10. 2Diverse

2Diverse Young Tutorling

I saw your mention of the spring in the front. I can see it through the right side hole. From what I've seen you are correct, this is an odd duck. I'm right handed so I don't need to open the left side hole.