For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Anyone have Dru's stencil sets?

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by Leakyvalve, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Needle-chuck Ninja

So here are his stencils..
    https://www.schoolofrealism.com/collections/airbrush-supplies

Certainly a bit pricey compared to Artool's stuff, but they are mylar and not card stock plus they are designs NOBODY has.

Questions would be how durable do they feel? Did they speed up or improve your work output?
  2. redcore

redcore Gravity Guru

I have them. They are good. Durable. But in reality they are as durable as you want them to be. If you treat them well they last long. But i dont know if they can take acetone. Acrylics no issue. Aggressive chemicals - no idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. redcore

redcore Gravity Guru

And when it comes to design thats very easy stuff. Its not that unique. All what you need is a good laser.

4. DaveG

DaveG Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

"It's not that unique"... that is funny. It isn't like there is the same stencil available on every corner ;)... or from ANY other maker/vendor:thumbsup:.

I don't have them all, but I do have several, as well as the ones that come in some of the classroom in a box kit(s). I also have the Artool FX stencils - I have had to replace more than one of the Artool, some rather quickly. The Blair stencils will last a lifetime if you treat them fair enough. Don't know if you are familiar with the old circle templates and such from the 70' and 80's graphics era, but they are the same material and I have many of them that are almost 40 years old, and look like they were made last week...
    JackEb and doc1 like this.
  5. redcore

redcore Gravity Guru

No. They are not available on every corner but if you have good laser they are super easy to make.

6. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Needle-chuck Ninja

maxresdefault (1).jpg
    Well who doesn't have a good laser kicking around?
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  7. redcore

redcore Gravity Guru

What is your problem? Dru has a laser cutter. Thats how he makes these stencils.
    If you are just a tiny bit creative and know photoshop / illustrator you can make ANY texture you want.

And yes...laser IS crucial. Or at least some type of cutting machine.

MarcosD likes this.
  8. musicmacd

musicmacd The Createx Bandit Very Likeable!

I find the skin textures and the dots very helpful in creating all kinds of effects
  9. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

A laser is in no way crucial, nor is any other type of cutting machine, it would only be crucial if you were running a business that relies upon it, but I also think it would be extremely naughty to copy stencil designs of someone who does have a business that relies upon it, whom I might add is a member on this forum.
    C0y0te and HellBird like this.
  10. redcore

redcore Gravity Guru

What?! I have never mentioned copying someone’s stencils!!!
    What i said is that if you know photoshop - bitmaps, illustrator - vectors and have a tiny bit of creativity that you can make your own stencils!
    And yes. For super detailed and fine stencils you do need good laser. Otherwise good luck with exacto knife.

11. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

A simple misunderstanding then as far as copying goes.

I've been at this airbrushing lark for just over six years and never once used a stencil other than cutting up my ref to use as a mask/free hand shield, for textures and effects everyone of us has different materials and substances just lying around the home that can be used create them, I'm a hobbyist and have no intention of selling anything I do and I believe this is so for many others here so my main point is that to warrant the cost of a laser cutter, plotter, CNC machine or whatever else, the user would have to be earning some good money regularly.

I have no problem playing around with an exacto knife cutting stencils on the rare occasions that I do, it's part of the fun of it and that's all I'm into this for, if I wanted everything done by a machine to save time I would just print my reference and frame it:) I like the challenge working free hand and my use of shields/stencils is mainly to keep areas free of over-spray.
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
    RichardH and HellBird like this.