Anyone know anything about this kit

D

donec

I have never used an ab before. I think I will be using my ab probably any where from every other day for 1-2 hours to a couple days per month. I intend on doing scales on my spyder (mostly the scale shadow for depth), something like decals, adding shadows and bends to my acrylic brush work on canvas and paper and maybe some "T" shirts not many though as I am only doing it as a hobby.

I have researched till my eyes are crossed and have come up with 2 possible starter kits the first I can't seem to find much info on at all other than it has a small tank (about .3lt) and the brushes are nothing special.
Amazon.com: New 3 Airbrush Pro Kit Compressor Dual-Action Brush Hose Holder Quick Disconnect: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

The second is almost twice the cost but from reviews on youtube it sounded rather quiet, seems to have a history of lasting for light use and the brush also has good reviews. I don't know if the paints are able to do the kind of stuff I am thinking about and reviews seem to go both directions.
Amazon.com: Master Multi-Purpose Deluxe Precision High Detail Control Master Airbrush Model G444 Gravity Feed, and Model TC-20T Professional Air Compressor, 11 Color Createx Wicked Airbrush Paint Set, Simple Airbrush Holder, Cleaning Kit FREE Airbrus

I tried to break up the components of each and the kits cost a little less.

My questions are...
1. Does anyone have experience with either or both of these and if so what do you think of them?
2. Would they both do what I am intending to do?
3. Which would probably do better for my purpose?
4. Do you know of a better kit in the same price range?
5. Can you offer any suggestions considering my intentions of use and price range?

Thanks in advance

I've said it before. For a first ab you should get an iwata eclipse CS. It is such a forgiving brush and easy to clean. It also holds resale value.

You will spend over $120 for the brush but its worth it. Those cheapy brushes are just going to frustrat you.

If your in the US get a hobby lobby 40% off coupon and get the eclipse there. Then go to harbor frieght and get a compressor with a tank. It will be noisy but it will work and be relatively cheap. You can also get hoses and fittings there.

i agree with tigertron it is better to start cheap but with good quality,a lesson learned the hard way.buy a badger or paasche you can go wrong with those(badger patriot or paasche vl).

hope this helps.

For a first ab you should get an iwata eclipse CS.

I currently painting with my first airbrush , is an Iwata Revolution CR , is cheaper than the Eclipse , I trust in the brand when I buy it , I so noob so I can't tell how good or bad is , by now I'm doing decent paintings with it.

Can someone more experienced tell me how bad or worst than an eclipse is my Revolution?

A kit seems like a good idea, particularly if it comes with all the hoses, quick connects, pressure valves and regulators, but I personally wouldn't buy one. With the use you think you will be putting it to, I think you will need something better. Find a airbrush that is described as being for all round use (iwata hp-cs is my brush), and I'd recommend a branded brush, as a poor quality, badly built brush will frustrate you, and slow down or even hamper your learning to use it. If noise isn't an issue, get a compressor from a hardwear store, (compressors in kits tend to have either no tank or a tiny tank, which isn't much good and will cause air to pulse.), it should have regulator and hose, and get a water trap if it doesn't have one. Then get a quick connect for the airbrush you chose (a quick connect isn't strictly necessary but you will need to connect the two anyway and it's definitely handy to have). If you need a silent compressor it will get very expensive unfortunately, unless you can get a good used one. If you aren't sure you want to invest that much in something you haven't tried yet, then the second option would be better, (also the paints in the pic Wicked are suitable as they are good for lots of surfaces, and are lightfast so good for automotive after clearing) but if you already think you want to do this and stick it out, then I don't think it will be good enough after a short time, and you will want to upgrade anyway, and the $199 dollars that seemed a good idea will have been wasted as you pay out again to replace it. Just my thoughts, others may have a different way of looking at it. Good luck!

(also the paints in the pic Wicked are suitable as they are good for lots of surfaces, and are lightfast so good for automotive after clearing)
Thanks but what do you mean "after clearing"?

I'm a real beginner as well paasche vl is what I am usiing for a brush it is great easy to learn with. For a compressor a small hardware store type with a 2 gal tank works great.I 've seen then at harbor freight for $40 on sale. It is going to be louder than an airbrush compressor but more versatile.
Ductape

i agree with tigertron it is better to start cheap but with good quality,a lesson learned the hard way.buy a badger or paasche you can go wrong with those(badger patriot or paasche vl).

hope this helps.
Your post confuses me. It sounds like you mean that a badger patriot or a paasche vl are good brushes but your words say you can go wrong with them. Did you mean you can't go wrong with them?

Your post confuses me. It sounds like you mean that a badger patriot or a paasche vl are good brushes but your words say you can go wrong with them. Did you mean you can't go wrong with them?

He missed out the "T" lol, he actually meant you "can't go wrong", it's good advice, one of the problems with buying cheaper or substandard tools is the availability of parts and lack of guarantee, the suggest brushes will both be warranted and parts will be easy to find.

So from what I'm hearing this would be a significanly better kit?
Amazon.com: Paasche VL AIRBRUSH SET/COMPRESSOR-Createx Paint-Hobby: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
It comes with...
Paasche VL-SET Precision Dual-Action Siphon Feed VL Airbrush Set.

3 Tips. But it doesn't say what size tips

Braided Airbrush Hose doesn't say how long.

Airbrush-Depot Brand Model TC-20T Maintenance Free Air Compressor with Tank, Automatic On/Off Shutoff, Air Regulator with Gauge & Water Trap Filter.

Createx Brand 12 Popular Airbrush Paint Colors Set Createx Brand. Are these good paints?

How to Begin Airbrushing DVD.

3 in 1 Use Airbrush Cleaning Pot.

Airbrush Cleaning Solution.

100 1 oz. Plastic Mixing Cups.

100 Mixing Sticks Universal

Airbrush Holder for up to 4 Airbrushes

Airbrush Quick Disconnect but I can't see it in the image.

It does seem that there are lots of parts available for this airbrush.

Last edited by a moderator:
So from what I'm hearing this would be a significanly better kit?
Amazon.com: Paasche VL AIRBRUSH SET/COMPRESSOR-Createx Paint-Hobby: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
It comes with...
Paasche VL-SET Precision Dual-Action Siphon Feed VL Airbrush Set.

3 Tips. But it doesn't say what size tips

Braided Airbrush Hose doesn't say how long.

Airbrush-Depot Brand Model TC-20T Maintenance Free Air Compressor with Tank, Automatic On/Off Shutoff, Air Regulator with Gauge & Water Trap Filter.

Createx Brand 12 Popular Airbrush Paint Colors Set Createx Brand. Are these good paints?

How to Begin Airbrushing DVD.

3 in 1 Use Airbrush Cleaning Pot.

Airbrush Cleaning Solution.

100 1 oz. Plastic Mixing Cups.

100 Mixing Sticks Universal

Airbrush Holder for up to 4 Airbrushes

Airbrush Quick Disconnect but I can't see it in the image.

It does seem that there are lots of parts available for this airbrush.

I haven't used this brush, but it is a good make, and you should be able to get spares easily. Not sure of the tip sizes but it will give you the range to be able to do fine lines, and broader areas. It is suction fed, (sucks air from the bottom) which gives you the advantage of using the bottles for larger areas of paint, and the little side bucket cup, for small amounts for more detailed work. I don't feel comfortable holding this type of brush, and prefer gravity fed, just something you might want to consider, though I'm fussy Lol.The hose I believe is 6 feet long. The compressor may be a problem, maintenance free means oil less I believe, in which case it may be prone to overheating if you are wanting to use it for the amounts of time you mentioned, it will automatically shot off until it cools, it has a 3 1/2 litre storage tank so it shouldn't pulse, but will probably need to refill pretty frequently. It is fairly quiet at around 59 decibels. The createx paints are mainly for textiles, although you can use them for canvas/paper. Not suitable for automotive, or anything that will be exposed to sunlight as they are not lightfast and will fade.

It means that as they are water based paints, they will need to have a clear laquer top coat to protect them.
Thanks now I understand.

I haven't used this brush, but it is a good make, and you should be able to get spares easily. Not sure of the tip sizes but it will give you the range to be able to do fine lines, and broader areas. It is suction fed, (sucks air from the bottom) which gives you the advantage of using the bottles for larger areas of paint, and the little side bucket cup, for small amounts for more detailed work. I don't feel comfortable holding this type of brush, and prefer gravity fed, just something you might want to consider, though I'm fussy Lol.The hose I believe is 6 feet long. The compressor may be a problem, maintenance free means oil less I believe, in which case it may be prone to overheating if you are wanting to use it for the amounts of time you mentioned, it will automatically shot off until it cools, it has a 3 1/2 litre storage tank so it shouldn't pulse, but will probably need to refill pretty frequently. It is fairly quiet at around 59 decibels. The createx paints are mainly for textiles, although you can use them for canvas/paper. Not suitable for automotive, or anything that will be exposed to sunlight as they are not lightfast and will fade.
Thanks, I'm also not sure I would want a siphon feed as it seem it would be heavier. I have looked at several side feeds but none I have found seem to be that popular and so there is little info about them.

Due to the responses I have had on this thread (thanks everyone) I have continued my search and now I am leaning more to a Paasche TG-SET "Talon" Gravity Feed Airbrush Set with the TC20 T compressor kit. It doesn't come with some of the extras of the other kits but the airbrush seems to be better from the reviews and I can add the wicked paints and cleaner to end up spending between the other sets.
[url]http://www.amazon.com/Paasche-TG-SET-Airbrushing-System-Compressor/dp/B00AI5ZJBW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371424418&sr=8-1&keywords=Paasche+Talon.38mm+Gravity+Set+TC-20T+Tank+Compressor[/URL]

[url]http://www.amazon.com/CREATEX-WICKED-AIRBRUSH-COLORS-REDUCER/dp/B003BGY02O/ref=sr_1_5?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1371338039&sr=1-5&keywords=Wicked+Colors+with+Reducer[/URL]

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush%C2%AE-Airbrush-Cleaning-Holder-paint/dp/B001BXMYT0/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1371425379&sr=1-1&keywords=airbrush+cleaning+pot[/URL]

I am under the impression that the TC20 T compressor will handle almost anything I will want to do and should probably handle working for up to a couple hours at a time without over heating. It has a water separator on it but it is very close to the compressor so I am wondering if I should consider an inline water separator attached to the ab.

I am also concerned about the size of the cup on the Paasche Talon being too big. Does anyone have one and feel it gets in the way?

Looks like there a lot of accessories available for the Talon.

Any comments will be appreciated.

I have a mojo iii which it a hot rod talon. I have no trouble with the cup and I like the beefy nozzle. It's a good brush.

Hi Donec,
You mentioned side-feed airbrushes and I love them. I have an Iwata Eclipse HP-SBS side-feed 0.3mm needle which is a great airbrush, I love it and would definitely recommend it. It is a great workhorse airbrush and is a very good beginners airbrush, you will use this airbrush whatever level you are, so is a very good investment. The HP-CS is the gravity feed version of this same airbrush.

Here is a link to my YouTube video on my side-feed airbrushes and shows you all the different plastic cups and bottles you can buy for this airbrush which makes it very versatile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UliSlSp_Y50

I hope this helps
Cheers Mel

hey donec,

I've heard a lot of good things about the talon, so I'd advise it. The compressor will do wich it is sold with.

Now for paint you're looking at wicked, wicked is a good brand that doesn't fade. But the only colors you'll need are the 5 basics, black, white, blue, yellow and red, you can mix all the colors with these and that's something you should learn too. But the wicked paint will do.

Where abouts are you from donec?
Sorry about that I thought I had filled in my bio. I'm from central Texas USA specifically Pflugerville.

Hi Donec,
You mentioned side-feed airbrushes and I love them. I have an Iwata Eclipse HP-SBS side-feed 0.3mm needle which is a great airbrush, I love it and would definitely recommend it. It is a great workhorse airbrush and is a very good beginners airbrush, you will use this airbrush whatever level you are, so is a very good investment. The HP-CS is the gravity feed version of this same airbrush.

Here is a link to my YouTube video on my side-feed airbrushes and shows you all the different plastic cups and bottles you can buy for this airbrush which makes it very versatile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UliSlSp_Y50

I hope this helps
Cheers Mel
I have seen your youtubes and they are great. Sadly the Iwata's are too expensive for me not even knowing if I'll take to air brushing enough to justify the cost.

hey donec,

I've heard a lot of good things about the talon, so I'd advise it. The compressor will do wich it is sold with.

Now for paint you're looking at wicked, wicked is a good brand that doesn't fade. But the only colors you'll need are the 5 basics, black, white, blue, yellow and red, you can mix all the colors with these and that's something you should learn too. But the wicked paint will do.
Thanks for your opinion on the Talon and compressor.

I know those colors can be mixed to get the colors you want but since the set comes with other colors I will most likely just be mixing to get variations. Unless I find I need something special. Then I'll try mixing my Winsor & Newton Galeria acrylics befor buying special colors or mixing the Wicked paints as I have quite a lot of the Winsor & Newton Galeria acrylics and won't have much of the Wicked.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Back