Anyone know what 1/4 threads are on the Harder Steenbeck hose connector?

J

jevs

I cannot find a fitting to work with this hose anywhere. It is certainly not NPT and no NPT fitting will seal or even go in more than a couple threads. It has an o-ring at the bottom.

Nowhere on the internet does it give the actual type of threads.

I think it might be 1/4" BSPP or BSPT, but I am not sure which and I am not for sure that is what it is. It could be something else.

Harder & Steenbeck Braided Air Hose 6ft quick coupling-1/4"125883

https://spraygunner.com/braided-air-hose-6ft-quick-coupling-1-4/

This is the sole information you can find on Harder Steenbeck's website:
"Braided hose complete, 2 m/6.3 ft (Item no. 125883)
quick coupling nd 2.7 mm, connection 1/4"
female screw thread"

If anyone knows of a fitting that will allow my regulator to connect to this let me know. My regulator has a female 1/4" NPT hole. So I need a fitting or fittings combination that are 1/4" NPT Male to whatever this hose is.

If I cannot find something I am going to have to machine my own which is a ridiculous waste of time. I am annoyed that I have wasted so much time already. Spray Gunner advised me to order a fitting from them that has no specs on what it even is and I am pretty sure it is just a 1/4" NPT Male to 1/4" Male NPT that I know will not work.
https://spraygunner.com/1-4-male-straight-connector-by-no-name-brand/

Another place suggested a similar connector only theirs actually says it is NPT and I had them try it and they confirmed it does not work for them either. They said this fitting used to work for them and maybe it was tapered down farther at the end more before or something, but now seems to not work.....hmm. They at least test fit it after I suggested it may not work and that I already tried NPT.

That is why most use an Iwata hose which fits the Iwata , H&S and Badger (with adapter) and take a standard 1/4 inch male adapter.
now run along and make a proper introduction being we do not even know where on this planet you live.

this might help explain at least what all the letter combo's mean - https://www.ralstoninst.com/news/story/the-difference-between-npt-bspp-and-bspt-seals

I am not sure what regulator you are using. On both my shop compressor, and my airbrush specific one, the 1/4" connectors are the straight 1/4 threads (BSPP). I don't use any of the NPT, or tapered fitting anywhere... You will need something like this to make it work...

https://www.hydraulichoses.com/Prod...LP0De81DhqU7fiNLt8dV5P-Dzvzyxz6BoCYxEQAvD_BwE

USA

"That is why most use an Iwata hose which fits the Iwata , H&S and Badger (with adapter) and take a standard 1/4 inch male adapter.
now run along and make a proper introduction being we do not even know where on this planet you live."

And what is a "standard" 1/4 inch male adapter LOL? Standard to me has always been NPT, but I run big compressors and lots of other air tools and spray guns. I had no issue hooking up my old Paasche with it's included hose.

Unfortunately, I thought I was doing the easy smart thing and ordered an H&S hose for my H&S Infinity airbrush....maybe I was wrong. The quick coupler fits nice though.

My Compressor has a 3/4" NPT fitting, but the regulator I put on the air drop at my paint booth for this is 1/4" female NPT, which is pretty standard for a small regulator, but maybe not for an airbrush compressor...

Looking at the Iwata hoses on their site, it looks like they might have the same connector as mine though....but they also do not spec what the thread actually is. It just says
"1/4" compressor fitting use O-rings which form leak-proof seals when attached."

this might help explain at least what all the letter combo's mean - https://www.ralstoninst.com/news/story/the-difference-between-npt-bspp-and-bspt-seals

I am not sure what regulator you are using. On both my shop compressor, and my airbrush specific one, the 1/4" connectors are the straight 1/4 threads (BSPP). I don't use any of the NPT, or tapered fitting anywhere... You will need something like this to make it work...

https://www.hydraulichoses.com/Prod...LP0De81DhqU7fiNLt8dV5P-Dzvzyxz6BoCYxEQAvD_BwE

Yeah I have referenced that page many times on the fitting differences. However it is kinda hard to tell on a female fitting which it might be. I may have to get in there with some calipers and see if I can measure the threads and stuff. A 1/2-20 bolt will thread into the fitting, which is wierd since all the other ones (NPT, BSPP, BSPT) seem to be 1/2-14 .

I actually found that page on the fittings as well, but I hate to order one and find out it doesn't fit. Could be a waste of money. I did email H&S, but I doubt I will hear back anytime soon.

I bought a 1/2"-20 bolt. If I give in, I can chuck it up in the lathe and drill through it and then machine the other side down to take a 1/4 NPT die and make a fitting that will work. I also bought a brass pipe with 1/4" NPT on both sides. I can machine one side of that down to make it work also. It's just a pain and waste of a lot of time. Even then 1/2-20 may just be a coincidence that it works and still not the actual correct thing. It could be something else. Who knows...

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so after pulling out the loupe, some pitch gauges, and some calipers....
It looks like there is no taper that I can see in the short fitting. This points to BSPP. I do not have a pitch gauge for 19 TPI (mine goes from 18 then 20) which is what BSPP seems to be from what I find on the net. Some sites said TPI 14 which is confusing and incorrect in what I said above. NPT 1/4 is 18 TPI. I confirmed this on a real part.
However the threads appear to be somewhere close to 19 TPI which explains why the 1/2-20 bolt went in. If the hole was deeper, eventually that might have quit going in......
So, it looks like I am going to go with a 1/2" BSPP as what it is. This has always made the most sense, but I could not find anything definitive.....
If you don't hear back from me, then it worked... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
43FABF74-4051-40F7-977E-311584D652B8.jpeg

This may help to guide you to the parts you need.

You were requested to make a polite intro, “USA” was your response ....
our local Dragon has suggestions to what we like in an intro, the more info we have the better we can help.

5D20DC5A-ECE2-4B7A-B3E5-C712BCB0C408.jpeg

USA

And what is a "standard" 1/4 inch male adapter LOL? Standard to me has always been NPT, but I run big compressors and lots of other air tools and spray guns. I had no issue hooking up my old Paasche with it's included hose.

Unfortunately, I thought I was doing the easy smart thing and ordered an H&S hose for my H&S Infinity airbrush....maybe I was wrong. The quick coupler fits nice though.

My Compressor has a 3/4" NPT fitting, but the regulator I put on the air drop at my paint booth for this is 1/4" female NPT, which is pretty standard for a small regulator, but maybe not for an airbrush compressor...

Looking at the Iwata hoses on their site, it looks like they might have the same connector as mine though....but they also do not spec what the thread actually is. It just says
"1/4" compressor fitting use O-rings which form leak-proof seals when attached."
I have a standard NPT 1/4 inch male adapter screwed in straight into my Iwata line and it has been on that line for better then 10 years, I can plug it into my 600 gallon shop compressor or into my silent air 50. I also run the pistol grip moisture traps with quick connect on all my airbrushes . SO all my Iwata ,H&S , Badger and ProCon plug right into my Iwata hose.

USA

You have a german tool, so standard means what german tools use, and it is a casuality that it is that almost all the rest of the world use the same.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

9007-04-04 1/4" BSPP Male x 1/4" NPTF Male

This is a perfect fit. So if you want the correct fitting for a Harder Steenbeck 1/4" hose fitting, you need a 1/4" Male BSPP for the regulator side of your hose!
This particular fitting is very good quality also, even the NPT side fits my regulator better than the brass fittings I had. Everything sealed up perfect easily. I tested with my soap water spray bottle.
This concludes my paint booth setup finally other than lining the interior with craft paper to keep it clean.

20190418_174138.jpg
20190418_174148.jpg 20190418_175925.jpg 20190418_180001.jpg

Back