For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Anyone on here that airbrush plastic model kits?

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by Lostcommander, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Lostcommander

Lostcommander Young Tutorling

Hi Guys,

The reason i started airbrushing was the need to use it on plastic models and wargaming models.
    Since that i have ventured in to other areas of airbrushing as well.

Now to the reason of this post!
    I still do some plastic models and I am also doing some Wargaming and still hang out in the local gaming club, primarily painting and helping others out with techniques and how to use the clubs Sparmax airbrush.
    Now several people in the club have approached me for advise on what to get and what not to get in terms of airbrushing, so many questions that i have started collecting all my advise and people questions, thinking i should consolidate these in an "Airbrush Guide for Modellers and Gamers" for lets face it, they will have different needs that a guy starting out in Custom Work on cars and bikes. many would even use paints that are not specifically made for airbrushing, hence the Iwata CM might be a bad idea for some and maybe quite usefull for others.

Now i would like to know if any of you also do Plastic Models and/or Gaming models and would like to be a part of the process with input and be a part of the review team for this guide.

I do already have a good idea on what would be included but not all aspects and knowledge is something that I have actually tried and would like someone who can provide me with real life knowledge on the different topics.

The guide is not aiming to be a "This is the one and only truth" type of guide, but a here is something you should know in order to make better decisions on what you need and in the long run safe some dough to spend on more awesome models.

Would like to hear from you if you want to participate in this with input in one way or another.

P.S. i have made this same request on a couple of more related fora's in order to get as much input as possible, but you guys are just so knowledgable in airbrushing in general whereas the other communities are more specialized

P.P.S Everyone contributing in one way or another will of course be credited in the guide.

Thanks
    /Michael
  2. brushmodle

brushmodle Young Tutorling

Daaaaaaam looks like noone is into this! Well lost commander im here sorry im a bit late LOL but here no doubt!
  3. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Miniatures vs scalwd modles is almoat two different things while for laying baae coats or primers I would suggest an Iwata eclipse CS ,but depending on graphics and the level of control you have would be what I would suggest for that.you can get tight detail using the CS ans it is a work horse of an air brush. I still build models ans painted an s still paint D&D figures mainly for gifts for my kids.
  4. iSteve

iSteve Elite Member! Elite Member!

I pretty much use my airbrush solely for plastic models. So, I’m game: what kind of info are you looking for?
  5. iSteve

I agree with Herb - for an all-around brush for everything, an Eclipse HP-CS is probably your best bet. You could go cheaper and get a Neo, or maybe a Sparmax. A Badger Patriot would also do the trick. H&S Evolution is another good option as you can by extra nozzles and needles for bigger or smaller spraying.

I would say any of the suggested airbrushes are a good starter brush. They are all good middle-range workhorses that you can use for primers and clear coats and with practice can get good small detail spraying.

I've pretty much settled now on my range of brushes:
    HP-C Plus for general use
    HP-B Plus for smaller work
    CM-B for fine detail
    Infinity for the whole range from primers and clears to fine detail.
  6. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Mac-Valve Maestro!

It's a 7.5 year old question that not a single person contributed to till just now. This site is not a hot bed for airbrushing models.
  7. iSteve

So it would seem. But airbrushes and airbrushing are huge topics for scale modelers. I think it’s worth reviving if only to draw more modelers to this site.
  8. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Have you ever thought that some times post get overlooked due to high thread counts
  9. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

This site isn’t a hot bed for modellers because there are other forums dedicated to modellers and gamers!
  10. Leakyvalve

NOT here they don't. Perhaps somewhere the stats exist, on threads started per week and posts per week.

I've seen very little modeling content here, even though it is a HUGE part of airbrush purchases.
  11. Leakyvalve

Weren't some of the suggestions for increased traffic to try and do something with the modeling community?
  12. iSteve

Yes, but none solely to airbrushing. And airbrushing questions are frequently asked on those sites, often repeating questions that have already been answered with advice ranging from "very helpful" to "you have no clue as to what you're talking about." Airbrushing advice is often a crapshoot on modelling sites.
    Maple Art likes this.
  13. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

there are plans to 'update' the forum but there was no mention of doing this as a means to increase traffic, merely that we've had the same format for many years and it seems like a good time to update.
    The
    inclusion of a section for modelers/gamers etc just so they have a 'go-to' spot is a suggestion that has been made along with many others

fair statement :)
    regardless of the topic of a forum you are always going to get repeat questions that have been asked many times before, sometimes people don't use a search function or don't type in the right search terms or are just to lazy to look up info. just human nature.
  14. brushmodle

brushmodle Young Tutorling

my hp-cs dont work for my top coats for som reason but my hp-bcs i think it is, is great i used it last nite to do a top/ clear coat came out great!