Anyone wanna practise on my bonnet?

L

Lead foot

Hello my name is Darren and I live in the heathrow area of the uk, I was wondering if anyone would like to air brush my bonnet for practice, I have been wanting to have an aggressive eagle with blood shot eyes and teeth done but as the car is a street legal drag car most of my money goes into the engine lol, I can pay a good drink and would be happy to have the artists name signed on the bonnet for his or her work, I can also get a great deal of exposure for the artist at shows and race events, and would be happy to hand out cards and flyers. Please let me know if you are interested.

cheers Darren

hey darren..... whats the deal.... would you have the bonnet prepped ready to take art work.... so scuffed, primed, scuffed, based, then you can do your art work.... and then clearing would be down to you also???? otherwise you are talking at least £2000 i would imagine..... for such a show car i doubt you would want someone "practicing" on it...... there is a few memebers from uk that i could suggest but none really need practice as such.... if you want the decent art your gonna have to pay for it i would think bro....

all the best from cambs

It seems silly logging on to a forum just to post such a request, you could have emailed the forum administrator and asked him to post your question.

And as my predecessor said, it's not just case of throwing on a design and done in a jiffy, there is lot of ground work and planning involved which will run the cost up significantly, not to mention working out where such work would take place, it's not going to happen on your driveway outdoors.

I think if you found someone to just practice on your' bonnet just for fun, they wouldn't want the publicity just yet.

Most forums consider this spam, Why you want a free paint job . Paint cost money , Airbrushes cost money , time cost money . Okay here is a deal for you . you build me a 1000+hp motor for free and I will paint your car for free:D

Seems fair to me. I have traded out paint jobs for work I have needed done and most time I come out way ahead of the game but when you want a free paint job and claim you will get the artist a lot of exposure that is almost a joke . And saying you will even allow the artist to sign it .. There is now allowance there the artist will sign it anyway .
So buck up save up and go see your local airbrush artist. Most gear heads have friends who paint cars and airbrush them as well.

The bonnet i can't do.

But what do you think of giving up some skin to practice on, i have this rattling drawing tool and i'm eager to mark my first victim. :untroubled:

In lead foot's defense, I know for a fact that in at least smaller racing such as sprint cars and such drivers get "sponsers" where they either pay a cash donation or donate products or services and in return get their company name on the vehicle for exposure and that is where I think he is going with this. However I also agree with you Herb that being a brand new member they should get to know us, and not in first post blurt out a request for free art work. I think a little decorum would be in order, after all this forum is a quality airbrush help/learning center this is not Craigslist. lol

In lead foot's defense, I know for a fact that in at least smaller racing such as sprint cars and such drivers get "sponsers" where they either pay a cash donation or donate products or services and in return get their company name on the vehicle for exposure and that is where I think he is going with this. However I also agree with you Herb that being a brand new member they should get to know us, and not in first post blurt out a request for free art work. I think a little decorum would be in order, after all this forum is a quality airbrush help/learning center this is not Craigslist. lol

Yes ,Goodyear , Lucas oil , Rancho, Yearwood speed and custom were all sponsors of mine when I was Drag racing back in Texas. But I had to bring home the trophies and the money . But the guy who painted my car never had to worry if his car needed work . it was a fair trade of work . And Yes his shops name was the biggest logo on the car.
So if he had came on and said hey guys I am looking for a airbrush artist that would like to do some work for trade work and list the skills he has to offer to trade.
Yes it is nothing to drop 100k in an engine and trans , Tires and everything else that goes in a top fuel Drag car.
But That is just the old school way we did things back in the 70's

ah dont get me wrong guys..... i think it is a fair offer in some respects..... if as lead foot says he is involved in the racing it could be great advertisement and i do understand this as a method of payment...... im just saying the prep work takes as long if not longer and this is a huge amount of work which would really be needed to be paid for..... those who need practice..... well you wouldnt want there artowrk going down the strip..... those who dont need the practice.... dont need the job

This guy unfortunately has no intention of getting to know anyone, he doesn't airbrush himself and obviously isn't planning to do so, he's actually looking for a freebie from a leaner who's trying to make it in this game, I'm pretty sure it's all innocent, but it just doesn't work the way he thinks, as you say a lot of these racers, cars and bikes people have sponsors and most of them pay for the upkeep of driving/riding stock, most of the time including the paint job, after all I doubt any respectful business would want their name plastered all over a rust bucket.

I have no problem at all that he's making this request and I think that it is perfectly legitimate request as long he catered for all material costs and travel and such, I've done a few freebies myself and got a lot of work out of it, I just think it's daft joining a forum just to place a request as this, he could have found any number of airbrush magazines and placed an add there or even at a local art shop.

Every now and again I go through the whole of the members list and seek out certified spammer users, I have been doing this since the forum first started and will continue to do it to keep our genuine users safe (no matter what), but since the job gets more and more time consuming each time, having users lying dormant in the archives doesn't help one bit, it's unbelievable how many users there are who have never ever logged on since they first registered, not to mention users who have simply disappeared after one or two posts.

I don't know exactly what possibilities are available with the forum as a whole, but it must be possible to arrange it so that users profiles who don't log on or are inactive for more than a year are automatically deleted, this would also help combat spam or at the very least reduce the risk of it as well as making what I do just a touch quicker.

Hi Lead Foot
Thank You for your kind offer of allowing a canvass for a possible up and coming artist. I do feel that you should perhaps understand the provisos I would put in place where I to live anywhere near you.
As Ad Fez said - the bonnet would need to be scuffed and primed, scuffed and base coated.
then you would need to get the bonnet at your cost to the potential artist place of work/home - bearing in mind that at this stage of that artists career, he wouldnt have the same setup as someone who would be charging you the 2000 pounds.
Then you would need to supply all the materials - including, but not limited to, masking tape, masking sheets, tack rags, thinning agent and paint for each and every colour and effect you want.
you would also need to be on hand to replace/re-stock if there is any colour that runs out for any reason. (ANY reason includes the artist's cat bumping a pot over, or a hose pulling a container onto the floor or the paint just running out becuase the NEW (AND by default - inexperienced) artist didnt know exactly how much paint to get.
You would also need to realise that any left over paint and materials would become the property of said artist.
once he/she is finished, and HE (not you because you are not paying him) is happy with the work, then you would need to take the bonnet to a reputable clearing agent (LOL - wrong term ) body shop that would then clear it properly, in their controlled, dust free and safe room and so that it looks good and finished and becomes a true advert for the artist.

edit:
I hope this helps clear up what we are trying to say here. I personally would have loved the opportunity, but as an advert for myself, I am not guaranteed you would either keep our word regarding flyers, nor write your ride off because of my go faster flames I put on for you, rendering all my work for naught. I hope you understand where I am coming from?

Please feel free to engage with us here and perhaps you and a potential artist will actually get the bargains you are looking for :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi lead foot, you may think the responses seem a bit negative at first, unfortunately this kind of request is a common issue for airbrushers. I'm sure you are a geniune guy, with honest intentions. However the paint for a drink plus advertising aspect, is a little naive, just because of the time and costs involved to the artist, which you probably weren't aware of.

This could be a nice opportunity for someone, but you would have to make clear what was expected, whether the car needed prepping, (dents filled, bumps straightened, priming and undercoating), if it would need base coating, and if the paint had to match the rest of the car, if you wanted an original concept design drawn up, then the actual airbrushing, and finally clearing, polishing and buffing. There is a lot of materials involved in these processes, and I think any one you asked will expect you to cover those costs. The time involved would be considerable, just the airbrushing alone could involve long hours (days) of work depending on the complexity of the design, and the amouint of detail involved, so the drink would need to be worth that persons time. And that will vary from person to person. There maybe someone happy to do it just for the experience, but without meaning to be disrespectful to anyone wanting to do this for practice, if there's anything other than just artwork involved, it is possibly a bit much to take on, and also someone at the practice stage might not produce the quality of art you might be expecting. If you didn't like it for any reason, and decided not to keep it on the car, then they will have worked for nothing, as the advertising then wouldn't be relevant.

If you could be more specific about what would be involved, whether the bonnet is ready to go, the size and colours of the art work you wanted, if it would need clearing, time scale you want it done in, etc. Then anyone interested could get back to you with the cost of materials, and any other costs such as shipping, etc, and maybe someone might be interested in that drink, or be happy to come to some other kind of arrangement.

Personally I live in the south of England, and have experience painting bikes, sometimes from bare metal up. So I might be interested if you don't have any takers. I don't need to paint for practice, but if you cleared up all the if's, and's, and maybe's, I might be interested. I would want all costs covered, some kind of clear idea of what exactly the exposure and advertising would encompass, and for how long it would continue, and there would be a modest fee. I am not a professional and I paint from home so have no big overheads, but there are still some, and the fee would cover that plus a set amount for my time and any design work involved. I don't charge by the hour, as I find it fairer to agree a price, and the the person I paint for knows up front what the costs are, without wondering if I'm dragging it out.

Check out my facebook page (in my signature below) to see examples of my work, and PM me if you are still interested.

ah dont get me wrong guys..... i think it is a fair offer in some respects..... if as lead foot says he is involved in the racing it could be great advertisement and i do understand this as a method of payment......

No it's not a fair offer buddy, I'm afraid. The good Mr Leadfoot is quite happy to pay out for his engine, but wants the paint for the cost of 'advertising'!
I'm positive he hasn't asked the parts suppliers (and/or engine builder) for what is essentially free work......

To me this is just "spam"
He does not airbrush or even knows the jest of it......
Hey...build me an engine for my Camaro and I will let you sign it...and alot of people will see it at car shows.
Spam...come on Mods...why have you not deleted this already?
Let him put it on Craigslist or the like.....

Well I say good on him LOL..

Its actually not that often ya see someone come into such a forum with such an offer and its good to see someone has the cohuna's to at least try to get a freebie...

When its all said and done, if someone has the time, maybe some extra cashless trade-off could be organised (Like maybe a nice bottle of scotch at least LOL), and if it is getting around to shows and such it could be indeed a good pay-off for someone who want's to get into that arena of paint, heck the guy may have 20 friends that could all want work done..maybe I see it differently but I have done work for my best friends that have ultimately screwed me, least this guys telling us we will be screwed beforehand LOLOL..

M8 bring your bonnet over to Australia...With that bottle of nice scotch and I'll sort ya out with a free paintjob ;)

PS It better be a nice aged drop :)

I'll do it for a drink ... mines a hogshead (63 gallon barrel) of Talisker 15 year old single malt! :very_drunk:

Yup, Hard crowd here leadfoot! If you haven't noticed, most of us here have been burnt before, and it usually starts with a conversation just like yours. As stated by many already, theres just a lot of unanswered questions. I know words can be misconstrued and often are, but the way your post reads, its almost as if you are making it out to sound like it would be our honor to have our work on your hood. Where we are seeing it the other way around. A bonnet isn't something you can paint in a mere couple of hours. I know loads of drag racers and I have supplied loads of artwork on their vehicles, but guess what, its all vinyl, because they know theres a huge chance it can get destroyed. Vinyl takes minutes compared to hours of airbrushing for the same graphic. I have a lot of dirt track racing friends that use vinyl because their cars always get abused, not saying yours will, Im just giving you another option. Pay someone to draw the eagle you want, you pay them using PayPal, they send you the file of the drawing and the original if you see fit, and then you can take it to your local vinyl shop and have them "Wrap" your bonnet with the artwork. Just another route you could go. A bonnet is a lot of work as I've done a few of them, so there wont be many that will just do it for advertising purposes unless you catch someone who just got into airbrushing but that can pose a problem on itself. Questions you need to ask yourself, does this artist have enough experience, does he/she know the best prep before the paint because this is your foundation for the art, does the artist know what paints have UV protectant in them, does the artist know what clear to use or are they just going to throw some rattlecan acrylic clear on it, etc..... Just so many questions left unanswered. I truly believe any artist here will help you come to a conclusion that would work for both you and the artist if there were more questions answered, so jump back in and lets see exactly what you are needing done!!

To me this is just "spam"
He does not airbrush or even knows the jest of it......
Hey...build me an engine for my Camaro and I will let you sign it...and alot of people will see it at car shows.
Spam...come on Mods...why have you not deleted this already?
Let him put it on Craigslist or the like.....
Thanks twood..... If I felt it was indeed spam or had been overly offended by lead foots " offer" I would of deleted the thread before commenting on it a couple of times. .... But I like some others also see opportunity I strange guises. ... If I had deleted it instantly I would not be giving people at least the opportunity to decide if their time is worth the possibility of advertising

Would probably be cheaper to get mickey Harris paint it with his butt cheeks

Back