auto air .... ?

T

tau

So. I'm quite interested in auto air paints, specifically some of the brighter effects you can get with candy's and the other 'effect' paints. Questions :

1. if one were to buy a couple of starter colors, where would you start ? transparent white, I think, is pretty much a given. Various of the candy colors to taste ? What else?
2. For practice, what are folks using as surfaces ? Metal signs / scrap ? I'm led to believe they don't do well on paper or canvas (thanks to that image someone provided ... um ... this one ( http://www.airbrushforum.org/attach...ar-createx-vs-wicked-auto-air-paint-guide.jpg ).
3. Can someone use small words to describe 'auto air' vs 'auto born' ?
4. If you buy things on amazon (hey, prime has free shipping!), would you pick a specific premade set in small amounts (2-4oz), or ala carte them ?
5. If this has been covered in copious length in the past, please feel free to just tell me to search the forums again!

thx!

--tau

Don't know a lot about these paints, but I have used some of the candy colours, they are not true candys as they are still pigment based, but they are still good over metal/silver/aluminium based paints. Not as good as a true candy though. The only pic I have is when I messed about with a helmet for fun and to experiment with the paint a bit. It's orange over white on a black helmet, so not the true candy effect it would have over silver, but I was pleased with the glow it gave to the eyes and mouth, pops more in real life. Comes alive when it's cleared, but even over a proper aluminium base doesn't have the depth and luminescence of a true candy, a good substitute though if you can't use uro's.
View attachment 11644

I haven't tried on paper, but I assume they wont have the proper effect, as on my helmet without the metallic base., and would just act as a translucent paint? Not too sure. If I was going to buy a basic set of colours I would go for black and white and the primary colours (then you should be able to mix almost any shade you like ) and get the proper reducer, possibly the transparent base (to give the paint more body if you have to over reduce, and to use as an intercoat to stop the colours bleeding into each other between layers), and to get the candy look you'll need some aluminium base or similar.

Hope that helps a bit, hopefully someone with more knowledge can hook you up.

As of right now AutoAir are not true candies.. But pigmented candies. which mean you build you color really slow and you try not to layer to many on them on one another . They can turn into a muddy mess.
That being said I love using the candy rootbeer it adds extra richness to wood grain.
It does work on any surface . But you do have to heat set it , Tape off can be a bit tricky it the paint is not 100% dry.
But like using the airbrush you will have to learn the AutoAir system and how it works for you.

Small words to compare AutoAir with AutoBorne..AutoAir Better , Holds up better .

But Wicked , AutoAir and Auto Born will all work together . I have use a combination of all 3 in paintings on anything form T-shirts to metal and have had no problems.

I would not and will not buy paints on Amazon.. Coast Airbrush , Or if you live outside the USA I would find a more local seller.

Make sure you get the sealer white and sealer dark. And use there reducer.. Now here is something to know Wicked reducer and AutoAir reducer is the same thing.. But Wicked Reducer cost less....LOL

It does help, thank you. The aluminum base tip is very helpful. My wife scored a dresser set for my son which we are planning to do character murals on (spiderman, hulk, etc) and having a worthwhile base coat will, I think (someone correct me !) help quite a bit.

thanks again for the tips!

As of right now AutoAir are not true candies.. But pigmented candies. which mean you build you color really slow and you try not to layer to many on them on one another . They can turn into a muddy mess.
That being said I love using the candy rootbeer it adds extra richness to wood grain.
It does work on any surface . But you do have to heat set it , Tape off can be a bit tricky it the paint is not 100% dry.
But like using the airbrush you will have to learn the AutoAir system and how it works for you.

Small words to compare AutoAir with AutoBorne..AutoAir Better , Holds up better .

But Wicked , AutoAir and Auto Born will all work together . I have use a combination of all 3 in paintings on anything form T-shirts to metal and have had no problems.

I would not and will not buy paints on Amazon.. Coast Airbrush , Or if you live outside the USA I would find a more local seller.

Make sure you get the sealer white and sealer dark. And use there reducer.. Now here is something to know Wicked reducer and AutoAir reducer is the same thing.. But Wicked Reducer cost less....LOL

Awesome, thanks! Talk to me about amazon though....I don't mind buying from coast, not at all, but amazon is WAY easier for me ;) Is it just a lack of trust for the actual vendor or a problem with the specific products ? (eg, Amazon.com: Auto Air Colors 20 COLOR STARTER AUTO AIR KIT: Home & Kitchen )

Awesome, thanks! Talk to me about amazon though....I don't mind buying from coast, not at all, but amazon is WAY easier for me ;) Is it just a lack of trust for the actual vendor or a problem with the specific products ? (eg, Amazon.com: Auto Air Colors 20 COLOR STARTER AUTO AIR KIT: Home & Kitchen )

Lack of trust in Vendors. My youngest loves amazon , But he has been burned a few times by the vendors sending something that yes the item but not New, which was the way it was advertised. Amazon failed to do anything about it.neither did the vendor.
So to me buying form them is almost as bad as buying from EBay..
But I only deal with Coast now a day , To me if I can pick up the phone and talk not only to a person but to the Owner of the place that is good business.
I think Ken Badger coming on the forum and helping out is another reason the Krome is selling like hot cakes.
But I am old and when I was young all businesses did things business this way, in person. You got to know the person build trust and a lot of times a friendship.
Plus it is kind of funny that TCPGlobal is also a amazon seller...which is who has the listing.
Dave will price match , Call them 1-888-KOLOR-IT (888-565-6748) Coast Airbrush Products

I agree that you should buy your paint from a place that specializes in catering to airbrushers, such as Coast or some others out there. Not only are you buying from someone who knows the product, but they sell enough of it keep there stock fresh. Paint has a shelf life to be concerned with.
The downside to Coast is the awful shipping charge. I made a recent purchase and paid out the nose for shipping to the midwest. (still waiting on the order by the way).
I buy stuff from Amazon all the time and have never had a problem. I have heard of others that have though.
It all comes down to, its your own decision where you buy from.

About the paint, I would recommend trying out some of the Wicked colors for your practice. They are easy to use and compatable with autoair.

Kathy

I thought autoair was car paint, whats it like on a t shirt please Herb?

Back