automotive tape

K

kelonio

When painting a motorcycle tank, what is the best 2" tape to cover it? I have read about the 3M, but the beige "not the green or blue" but i dont know the code or type... i think is a paper tape. May someone guide me.

Thanks

FBS is another great tape. Their Kgut gold is a crepe tape, almost see through, and cuts like butter .

I'm a dyehard fbs fan now. It sticks good and takes turns and sharp corners like a boss. A little pricy but we'll worth it for intricate layouts. I still use the blue stuff, but it loves to roll up on you if you don't tape the turns down. The 3m crepe tape used to be the excrement, but it's hard to find these days. The only drawback I've seen with the fbs is, because of how thin and flexible it is (i like the orange tape the best) I find it loves to snap if you stretch it on a long pull all the way down a vehicle. For short stuff like flame licks and tribals or what have you, it doesn't snap as easily. I personally found it loved to break at the worst time when you finally get that perfectly symmetrical long line and it snaps when it sticks too soon in the middle, yet when you try to snap the end off real fast instead of using a blade, you can't get the Bastard to snap easily lol.

one thing we have found with the green FBS, at a crossover, when possible, say on the end of a flame lick, put a piece of tape to keep the ends in place. Other than that it works great.

one thing we have found with the green FBS, at a crossover, when possible, say on the end of a flame lick, put a piece of tape to keep the ends in place. Other than that it works great.
How do you do your ends? Over under and cut top piece off with blade, or snap it off by hand then trim? if you pull and snap or stretch the tape at the ends, it creeps back to original tension and that's why you gotta tape it down. It's been awhile since I've cut sharp ends, but i think i always cut the piece of tape underneath instead of the top one. Seemed to always stay in place that way for some reason. I haven't tried the vandemon version yet but you know it's gotta be good if the layout king supports it. All the 3m tapes lately seem to bleed more now than ever, especially the green and yellow. The blue has a different glue than before or something. It doesn't stay in place like it used to. Spend more time doubling back and retaping your original tape.

Yeah you really have to watch stretching the tape at all. Anytime you reposition it, integrity is lost and it eventually pulls back go where it was first. If I don't get a line on the first try, I scrap the whole piece and do it again. I got really good at it and never had issues with lifting. Now the tape is too expensive to practice that method. Long gone are the days of masking off an entire vehicle in under an hour using multiple rolls. Getting too high tech now.

Back