Aztek A470

AndreZA

Air-Valve Autobot!
This just landed in my lap.

I've always wanted one just because I can. So got one on Ebay 2 weeks ago for $46 with 3 extra nozzles and the hose. I'm gonna try my best to do a good painting with it and bury the myth that it is just a toy for model building.

aztek_a470_sml.jpg

I had this very same set in my hand a couple of years ago and my first thought was how weird the brush looked, but I assumed that it must be able to do what it's meant to do since a lot of work went into designing and creating the amazing box, I seriously doubt they would put rubbish into such a prestigious box, I can't wait to see what you produce with it, but I expect it to be a winner:)

I have one of these, it was my first airbrush. Helped a lot back in the day, taught me all the basics but I bought it for model building, by the time I got interested in illustration and other things, I had already ruined the nozzles :( So instead of buying replacements, I went for another airbrush. My biggest issue with this was how delicate the trigger felt, every time I started to put pressure on it I felt like I was going to break it. Even the version with metal body has the same trigger. The other thing that annoyed me was how hard it was to clean the nozzles. They have lots of little spaces where paint accumulates, so cleaning was a bit of a headache sometimes. In my opinion, it can deliver good results under the right hands, but it falls short on other aspects like the ones I mentioned. Just my opinion though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following this one - a friend of mine was telling me about these so I'll be interested to see how it goes.

I have the metal bodied version and must say its a very versatile brush . Andrew Morton uses them all the time and produces some great work . I have even clear coated with the 1 mm nozzle in it . The nozzles. I dismantle and soak to clean . It can use jars and side cups so you can use larger quantities of paint . It did take some getting used to .

Getting use to is an understatement. It feels weird not having the airvalve to grip. But boy was this thing dirty. I had to use lacquer thinners to to soak the one head, cup, and nose of the gun. Chunks of tried out paint came out. The one nozzle is leaking air but luckily there are two extras of the same one.

Just a quick test with the smallest (beige 0.3) head.

aztek_1st_test_sml.jpg

I bought one, (A470), when my old Badger Airbrush died. Back then, too long ago, the price was good and it was the best I could afford. To be fair, I've still got it and still use it to do large(ish) areas.

The only issues I've had are that the fine tip, (tan, I think ?), is really only suitable for something of the consistency of inks, which is what they say.
and the trigger sometimes feels a bit 'squidgy' compared to say an Iwata, but is still controllable (is that a word ?).

Other than that, I've not really had any problems, it's easy to clean, (you can take apart the nozzel bit), and pretty simple to use.

EDIT - What paint / reduction are you using ? I might try again with the fine nozzle

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but how did it turn out?

Getting use to is an understatement. It feels weird not having the airvalve to grip. But boy was this thing dirty. I had to use lacquer thinners to to soak the one head, cup, and nose of the gun. Chunks of tried out paint came out. The one nozzle is leaking air but luckily there are two extras of the same one.

Just a quick test with the smallest (beige 0.3) head.

Back