B&W eye w/ Textures

D

drobbins12

I am working on trying to make my eye look more realistic w/ textures, like the tutorial video. Here is the start. Now I have to add the white textures in there. Let me know what you think of the first stage. Appreciate the feedback everyone.

I used the eye reference that Mitch supplied.

B&W Eye 2.jpg
I feel like I am really making progress here as I continue to paint. Check out the difference between above(latest eye) and below (previous eye)
photo (1).jpg

Hopefully the textures will make the above eye look realistic.

You look like you where more comfortable with your ab in the second one. You lines look alot cleaner. I think you are making great progress. Pleas post your picture again once you have added the textures. I love seeing the different stages.

Well I am gonna have to redo my black and white eye. I really screwed up with my white textures. I bought this Paint called spectra tex because the other store I buy my paint from was out of createx. And it is garbage paint. I shook the heck out of it, it was still runny. It didn't show up at all when I used it and it was like spraying water on my paper. Frusrating. I used the blue and peach color with same brand and it worked pretty good. But the white was just garbage.

Eenasha,

Thanks for the comments, I am getting alot more comfortable with the ab. I think I went a little too dark around the outside of the pupil. In the reference, and Mitch's eye painting, it's dark up at the tops and gets lighter as you come down towards the bottom. So seeing as how I have to redo my eye, I will attempt to lighten that up

It's a little bit darker then the reference but it's progress. If you look at the two you have done already, there is a big difference in them. I went too dark on mine all the way around (all 5 of mine :rolleyes:)

Hi Dylan!
thanks for posting it up mate!
I can tell you took my advice and planned how you were going to attempt it this time - your shapes are alot more accurate than the first attempt and we can even see that your control is improving so awesome job :)
I think you've done exceptionally well in breaking down the actual shapes of the eye in terms of what effects you need to create the individual parts of the image - the only thing i can suggest is that you go back and practise the control exercises. Until you're sick and tired of doing them.
If i was teaching in a class i would get all of my students to do those exercises until they could give me a sheet of each exercise at 100% - 50% & 15%.
I think this is the best way for you to practise at this stage because you've done very well breaking down the image.
How do you feel about this advice?

Hi Dylan!
thanks for posting it up mate!
I can tell you took my advice and planned how you were going to attempt it this time - your shapes are alot more accurate than the first attempt and we can even see that your control is improving so awesome job :)
I think you've done exceptionally well in breaking down the actual shapes of the eye in terms of what effects you need to create the individual parts of the image - the only thing i can suggest is that you go back and practise the control exercises. Until you're sick and tired of doing them.
If i was teaching in a class i would get all of my students to do those exercises until they could give me a sheet of each exercise at 100% - 50% & 15%.
I think this is the best way for you to practise at this stage because you've done very well breaking down the image.
How do you feel about this advice?

I agree, I think I get ahead of myself and want to do harder things when I need to try and work on my fundamentals. I should be trying to perfect my basics before I move on. Do you want me to keep posting the progression ofmy control excersises. Should I strictly be doing the control excersises till I get 100% 50% and 15%. When you are talking these percentages you are talking about fading the darkness as you go correct?

Hey Drobbins - take a look at the following picture - this is what you and everyone else practising as hard as you are should be aiming to achieve.
This is what I say takes around 30 to 40 hours of practise.. and it really does. Would be a bit boring to do it all in one go but you will know when you are ready to move on because you'll be absolutely sick of doing them.
I'd love to see progress shots and would be more than happy to give my criticisms and guidance if i feel you need it :)
Once you've mastered control of the airbrush all you have to learn is how to apply those effects to the image.. this is something i haven't started to teach in tutorials yet..
airbrushblends.jpg

i do that every day again and again and again.. and it sucks A LOT! but i see too little details change
1. how i hold the airbrush (dont know how many times i change the position to find the correct spod)
2. the correct position from my left hand to have more the feeling for it, that`s the left and rigth hand work`s well together
3. what can i do whit that stupid airline that hangs allways in my workplace or my foot is on the air line (oh why does that excrementty gun not work) couse you idiot stay on the airline -_-
4. how to configurate the paintflow of my gun
5. trigger control and again trigger control
6. some times i feel stupid but i know the biggest enemie is to be ambitious...
7. and it sucks too when mitch say go back to this or this.. and i hate it..
but i know for my self he`s rigth
i have read for some years a book over the japanes bow masters ...
in the first year the only thing they lern is (what a surprise) how to bend the bow!
would a master see someone is firing an arrow.. he/she have to leave the class directly! because it is no respect for the master and what he teach ...
but the result of that training is, this guys are at the end the best in the world... and every hit is to 100% on that what they want,self in the darkness..
so long i suffer whit you, but for me the importen thing is, what is at the end of this ..
cheers
mika

Last edited by a moderator:
Back