Back mask mistake

O

Oddball

Hi everyone, I'm posting this in the beginners section because I've just made a basic mistake and left the background mask on simply because I was in the flow and forgot about it!
As you can see in the picture the outline edges are far too sharp! :(
The background is done with Com Art and the Lab is Wicked detail.
I'm obviously going to have to soften the edge quite a bit but I don't want to darken the tonal value too muc.
This is nowhere near finished but I don't want to go too dark.
Any suggestions?
MD1.jpg

Assuming your problem is on the dog itself and not on the background, should be able to scrape it back a little with a rounded blade, or you can try to sand it back with scouring pad, either way, you can shield your background to protect it as you go.

Mmmm there is no problem :p. This is how my stuff often looks like before I start continuing, I wouldn't look at this as in need of repair but as in need of finishing.

There isn't (or hardly) any color in the dog yet so you are left with darks and lights. In the realy dark areas just soften it up with the airbrush and in the lighter areas use an erasor pencil or fiberglass pen (this is ofc if the material you use can stand that kind of erasing... if not you do have a problem :D). In the light areas where you have hairs sticking out you can break the line by scraping in the hairs.

As madbrush describes you can also use some scotchbrite or sandpaper if doing that make a transition into the dog so you have an area to work in and airbrush a transition into the sanded part (else you''ll just move the problem)

There is also nothing wrong with a sharp edge here and there where such things would exist (nose for instance) those area's I tend to hardly soften up at all.

Mmmm there is no problem :p. This is how my stuff often looks like before I start continuing, I wouldn't look at this as in need of repair but as in need of finishing.

There isn't (or hardly) any color in the dog yet so you are left with darks and lights. In the realy dark areas just soften it up with the airbrush and in the lighter areas use an erasor pencil or fiberglass pen (this is ofc if the material you use can stand that kind of erasing... if not you do have a problem :D). In the light areas where you have hairs sticking out you can break the line by scraping in the hairs.

As madbrush describes you can also use some scotchbrite or sandpaper if doing that make a transition into the dog so you have an area to work in and airbrush a transition into the sanded part (else you''ll just move the problem)

There is also nothing wrong with a sharp edge here and there where such things would exist (nose for instance) those area's I tend to hardly soften up at all.

Totally agree, but it's hard to see from the photo how bad the ridge is, if it's really bad I would just do as I said and knock the top off of it and as you say haasje, the rest will simply lessen as new layers are applied.

Totally agree, but it's hard to see from the photo how bad the ridge is, if it's really bad I would just do as I said and knock the top off of it and as you say haasje, the rest will simply lessen as new layers are applied.

Ah I didn't consider that. If there is an actual ridge of paint you can use carefull sanding or a blade as madbrush describes (and work in thinner layers the next time :p)

Thanks guys, there isn't a ridge as there is hardly any paint on it.
Having slept on the problem it dosn't seem to be the disaster I thought it was last night. I'll have a little play with it today and see where that goes.
I was just bloody annoyed to make such a basic mistake!
Hopefully some of the new guys will see this and it will help them as well :) (every cloud has a silver lining!)
M

I agree with these guys mate.
You're at the early stages of the artwork, you have the opportunity to add textures along those sharp lines, plus when you add color you can take the color just beyond the edge. You could either do this freehand or lightly with a stencil. You can stencil two edges to create a visually soft edge.

Oddball sorry you have this problem, but I'm "glad" because I learned responses and remove those that knew no sharp edges, however the artwork looks great, sure will be great when you finish.

Back