Back to painting

VanGogo

Triple Actioner
New job, Halloween, and Holidays have kept me too busy to paint for 6+ months; but I have finally found some time to get back to it.

This ice dragon is my 3rd painting after the hiatus. I am happy with most of it, but the dragon probably should have been a similar color to the ice instead of blue? Or, maybe it’s that the clouds and ice look more “realistic” than the dragon?
Let me know what you think is wrong with this painting.

F1F504B8-602C-469A-9DAE-8CE94F47D6E7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back :) Its been a crazy time for many of us for lots of different reasons but at least you are now back painting.
I embedded your picture so its easier to see.... hope you don't mind
as far as critique goes, the dragon looks 2D, its a little off where you've placed your highlights, I cant 'see' where the light would be coming from.

Yep I agree with you about the 2D dragon. He is flat with no dimension. Which doesn’t work with the rest of the painting.
The light source (upper right) I see now is not properly represented. I was following my reference, but should have changed a few things as I had changed the angle of the dragon from the original.

Thanks for the input!

I really like the colour and the effect of the ice, it looks very cool (bah dum pahhhh).
Seriously, I do like it. I think you’re right about the difference between the Dragon and the clouds and ice. They look a little softer and less sharp maybe.
Either way, you can clearly see your level of control is great. So I don’t think you’ll be too long hitting your stride again after the break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks SiRoxx! I thought the ice came pretty good for my first attempt.
The dragon reference pic I was using probably wasn’t the best as it wasn’t very 3d to start with. I think it would have looked pretty good with matching 2D surroundings, but it just doesn’t look right with the rest of the painting.
Another lesson learned I guess.

Thanks SiRoxx! I thought the ice came pretty good for my first attempt.
The dragon reference pic I was using probably wasn’t the best as it wasn’t very 3d to start with. I think it would have looked pretty good with matching 2D surroundings, but it just doesn’t look right with the rest of the painting.
Another lesson learned I guess.
It’s all about what you had in your mind to achieve Bro. We all have pieces that look absolutely fine, but aren’t quite what we were shooting for. Every try teaches something and that’s kinda what’s cool about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back