Badger 100 SF

J

John V

Would this brush still be a good choice as a detail airbrush ?
Would this airbrush be considered a detail brush with the fine 0.25 mm needle / nozzle ?

Thank You
John V

Would this brush still be a good choice as a detail airbrush ?
Would this airbrush be considered a detail brush with the fine 0.25 mm needle / nozzle ?

Thank You
John V
I've not used a 100 sf but I do have it's slightly more sophisticated predecessor, the TnC model A.

It's a very fine detail brush. Supreme atomization and extremely light on paint consumption...offering a different, but very controlled experience with detail.
Very fine detail with just a bit less crispness and quite a bit lighter lines than my 270.
Which I use to my advantage when needed. Super excellent shadowing brush, especially for those little shadows. Sometimes makes it easier to build the painting up as you should.

I don't know how much effect the de-sophistication has. As i understand it Essentially they did away with the tunable aircap and some finer machining in the 100s vs the model As but I believe it's still a capable detail brush.

Last edited:
I've not used a 100 sf but I do have it's slightly more sophisticated predecessor, the TnC model A.

It's a very fine detail brush. Supreme atomization and extremely light on paint consumption...offering a different, but very controlled experience with detail.
Very fine detail with just a bit less crispness and quite a bit lighter lines than my 270.
Which I use to my advantage when needed. Super excellent shadowing brush, especially for those little shadows. Sometimes makes it easier to build the painting up as you should.

I don't know how much effect the de-sophistication has. As i understand it Essentially they did away with the tunable aircap and some finer machining in the 100s vs the model As but I believe it's still a capable detail brush.

Thank You for the information Robbyrockett2. There is something about the older airbrush designs that attracts me. I have the impression that the capability of more classic brushes is often overlooked today. I also understand that the sotar was based off of the 100 series.

John V

The TC model A is a MUCH better brush than the 100sf. While being older, they did a wonderful job with the brush, as it's design lasted for over 60 years, with only very minor changes. By the time Badger took over production of the parts, the brush had been dumbed down to reduce production costs, and the performance paid the price for it. I have 16 or 17 Model A's spanning about 45 years worth of production, and maybe 8 or so model 100's dating back to the mid 60's - the 100's just don't offer the same performance, and never have.

With that said, the 100's do perform the way they were intended to - they are OK at what they do. If you are looking for the "best" detail out of a Badger, look at anything that uses the Sotar type head, meaning, Sotar, or Renegade series brush. Next in line would the the Xtreme brushes - at least for me.

Edit: I will add that Badger was a tool and dye maker that wound up being a contractor that produced parts for airbrushes, before they were an airbrush manufacturer. I prefer the older TC Model A's - pre contractor change, as they tend to work better. I have 40's, 50's, and 60's samples that work as well as anything. 70's and 80's, not quite as good, at least not among the samples I have tried (purchased a few new in the 80's).

Last edited:
The TC model A is a MUCH better brush than the 100sf. While being older, they did a wonderful job with the brush, as it's design lasted for over 60 years, with only very minor changes. By the time Badger took over production of the parts, the brush had been dumbed down to reduce production costs, and the performance paid the price for it. I have 16 or 17 Model A's spanning about 45 years worth of production, and maybe 8 or so model 100's dating back to the mid 60's - the 100's just don't offer the same performance, and never have.

With that said, the 100's do perform the way they were intended to - they are OK at what they do. If you are looking for the "best" detail out of a Badger, look at anything that uses the Sotar type head, meaning, Sotar, or Renegade series brush. Next in line would the the Xtreme brushes - at least for me.

Edit: I will add that Badger was a tool and dye maker that wound up being a contractor that produced parts for airbrushes, before they were an airbrush manufacturer. I prefer the older TC Model A's - pre contractor change, as they tend to work better. I have 40's, 50's, and 60's samples that work as will as anything. 70's and 80's, not quite as good, at least not among the samples I have tried (purchased a few new in the 80's).

Thank You DaveG for the information about the performance and history of the TC model A airbrush. I would like to know more of Thayer and Chandler, And Badger's history.

Would using a Sotar head on the Badger 100 be a reasonable thing to do if you needed to purchase the airbrush and the Sotar parts required to make the conversion ?
I know the Renegade series have some attractive upgrades in technology that make them an attractive choice.

I just don't think I want a large cup on a detail airbrush. If I need the large paint supply I could use a siphon feed type.

Thank You

John V

I've already covered adding a Sotar head to the 100 info... easy to do, but it sounds to me like you are looking to recreate the wheel with another wheel. If you are looking for a side feed specifically (which it kind of sounds like you are) - contact Badger about ordering a side feed Sotar- they will hook you up with Casey Love. They produce a side feed version based on the 100 specifically for him. Or, just buy the Sotar already - the standard cup is not big, it is "B" cup sized - 2cc's. Don't want the cup, buy the Slim. Better build on this one anyway. Another side feed option is the Renegade Spirit with a Aztek cup adapter from the omni/vega- eliminates the need to use the ridiculous, heavy, off balance gravity feed cup the brush comes with.

I've already covered adding a Sotar head to the 100 info... easy to do, but it sounds to me like you are looking to recreate the wheel with another wheel. If you are looking for a side feed specifically (which it kind of sounds like you are) - contact Badger about ordering a side feed Sotar- they will hook you up with Casey Love. They produce a side feed version based on the 100 specifically for him. Or, just buy the Sotar already - the standard cup is not big, it is "B" cup sized - 2cc's. Don't want the cup, buy the Slim. Better build on this one anyway. Another side feed option is the Renegade Spirit with a Aztek cup adapter from the omni/vega- eliminates the need to use the ridiculous, heavy, off balance gravity feed cup the brush comes with.

DaveG Thank you for your help. I was asking about the Badger 100 because I was curious how an older design compared to a newer design. I also like to tinker.
Thank You you have taught me a lot about airbrushes.
John V

DaveG Thank you for your help. I was asking about the Badger 100 because I was curious how an older design compared to a newer design. I also like to tinker.
John V

John V
While being an older "design" the current 100 is not different than any other brush in the current Badger line, as they have been revised through production. Parts (including the body) are common between many other brushes in the line. I have some very early ones (100's), that I really like.

33021665_1526864097419173_1761970690635857920_n.jpg

Even set one up with a Sotar head -
33106968_1526865300752386_5713481525127806976_n.jpg

The newer versions of this brush are heavier, not as well balanced. I also find they just don't tend to work as well as these do. I tried getting some sort of a ballpark date on these, but the current management at Badger really has no way to date them other than a ballpark of about a decade.

While being an older "design" the current 100 is not different than any other brush in the current Badger line, as they have been revised through production. Parts (including the body) are common between many other brushes in the line. I have some very early ones (100's), that I really like.

33021665_1526864097419173_1761970690635857920_n.jpg

Even set one up with a Sotar head -
33106968_1526865300752386_5713481525127806976_n.jpg

The newer versions of this brush are heavier, not as well balanced. I also find they just don't tend to work as well as these do. I tried getting some sort of a ballpark date on these, but the current management at Badger really has no way to date them other than a ballpark of about a decade.

It is a shame you were not able to pin down a closer date of manufacture . I like the classic almost artdeco look. They had a certain style.
Thank You for the information, And showing these to me.
John V

Back