Badger 175 Crescendo: A quiet workhorse

tatocorvette

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hello,

Brief history:
Around the turn of the 21st century, Badger introduced the 155 Anthem with a new head/nozzle design, a double taper needle, a bigger (easier to handle) self centering nozzle and other changes. This was the start of the Pro-Production series of airbrushes designed for wider range of coverage and heavy and prolonged use.
Along the 155 (I am not sure if together, shortly after, or even shortly before), Badger also introduced the 175 Crescendo. This airbrush, while following the traditional siphon feed/dual action configuration layout, is different and unique. It is considerably wider, bigger, heavier. If I compare airbrushes to sports cars, this is a Corvette engine in an SUV body! lol
It seems the 175 Crescendo could be a market response to the also popular Paasche VL.
While the nozzle and regulator are shared with the 155 Anthem, 105 Patriot and 360 Universal, everything else is unique to the model, including the needle which is bigger in diameter; 0.07 inches instead of 0.05 inches of all others. I saw a video on the Badger factory and they have 2 needle making machines setups. One for the 175 and another for everything else. The 175 offers Fine (~0.5mm), Medium(~0.76mm) and Heavy (~1.0mm) setups. A 175 Crescendo with a Heavy setup is a fire hose.
This family of airbrushes is designed to be comfortable for prolonged use and cover a wide range of applications, making it very versatile without the need to constantly changing setups.
The 175 has become popular with T-shirt artists among other users.

The specimen:
I was not looking for a 175 Crescendo. But I spotted a supposedly "not working" unit for less than half of the current street price. From the pictures it was dirty and the needle looked tired. I talked to a local friend and we agreed to rescue it for him.
To my surprise, it arrived in better condition than expected.
A slight tip bent in the needle was fixed and the needle was polished. Everything else was cleaned. Tested and this is essentially a new airbrush! It has the Medium setup and I was able to get some fine lines as well as garden hose wide open.
I was surprised how comfortable and balance it feels despite the bigger size. I can see this been used all day in a production environment.
The needle is exposed so care must be taken to avoid damaging it by bumping or hitting anything. Especially a hard floor aided by the force of gravity...
The back of the handle snaps off easily for quick access to the needle without the need to unscrew the whole handle.

2v2eSeyo5xJ21ND.jpg

2v2eSey2NxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eSedMdxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eSedzyxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eSed8zxJ21ND.jpg

As usual, I hope you like it and approve.
As always, your comments and questions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Ismael "the Badger fan"

Last edited:
I'm sure your friend will get years of enjoyment from his new / renewed airbrush.

As always, great job.
- Joe

As I recall, that airbrush was introduced around 1993 to 1994 timeframe. At the time, the Paasche VL commanded the T-shirt market, with just about every T-shirt artist using that airbrush, save only JĂĽrek, who preferred the Iwata HP-BC. Badger made use of its own proprietary (and superior) spray regulator, but designed the brush to match the dimensions of the Paasche VL, so it made it a little more comfortable for current T-shirt airbrushers to use.

Back