Badger 200: Old version, 2nd type

tatocorvette

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hello,

Products are constantly evolving. Airbrushes are no exception. Badger officially recognizes the "old" and the "new" versions of the Model 200. At some point (I think in the 90's) the 200 was redesigned as the 200NH (New Head?) with a different head design/needle (shared with the Anthem 155). This new version is totally different internally to the old 200 and the major parts are not interchangeable. Today, there are several versions of the Model 200 available: NH, Detail and 2 Gravity feeds.
When Badger launched the original Model 200 around 1966, it used a jar adapter lid. Only that size jars could be used. I have not found or seen any other size adapter but it could exist. At some point (late 60's early 70's?), the feeding system was changed to the more convenient friction siphon tube we know today that accepts jars and cups. Among other things, it made color changes faster. This would be an important change. Since the model designation did not change, I consider it a different type, variation, whatever, etc.
During the run of that old model, the handle changed shapes and materials, from metal to plastic to available balancing handles (heavier metal). The regulator lost the original spacer washer and other minor changes thru the years.
Retail giant SEARS Roebuck sold products under their own brand name. The Badger 200 was sold by SEARS. As typical the unit had no reference to the manufacturer.
Interestingly, in my research, I found a 1976 SEARS catalog showing the new type while the old type was shown in the 1977 catalog. Go figure. I've also seen 2nd type units for sale with old type illustrations on the original boxes. Not really a surprise.

My specimen:
I found this lonely Model 200 and had to rescued it. Just the extra Head assembly (Heavy) and the braided hose were worth the price of admission. Owner's manual has a 1976 print date.
2v2eA8ryjxJ21ND.jpg

It has seen better days. The jar was stuck. Very stuck. Some penetrating oil, heavy pliers and a lot of force stuck.
2v2eA8rM3xJ21ND.jpg

Interestingly, the plastic handle is translucent. I'm sure that was not a feature but a by-product of cost saving materials.
2v2eA8jEvxJ21ND.jpg

That air valve assembly has been abused. Uh-ohh: The air valve is incomplete. It is missing the spring and the retaining nut.
2v2eA8rzvxJ21ND.jpg

Everything was serviced.
2v2eB1inyxJ21ND.jpg

The 2 missing parts were ordered to Spraygunner and arrived today. I thought for a moment ordering the whole valve assembly, but that would have cost the same as the airbrush in the first place. So I ordered only the missing parts ($5) while straighten and refurbished the original valve casing and plunger (Hey, I'm cheap).
By the way, I tried to do my own spring and it was a laughable massive failure. The best I could do only lasted 3 compressions. lol
2v2eBWkqGxJ21ND.jpg

Presenting my "new" mid 70's SEARS airbrush. At the back of the body next to the handle, there used to be a sticker with serial number and in this case, SEARS Roebuck info.
2v2eBWk5dxJ21ND.jpg

Here is a comparison with the original one.
2v2eBWCz8xJ21ND.jpg

Jar attachment is the main difference. Notice the spacer in the older regulator tip and handle differences.
2v2eBWL2zxJ21ND.jpg

But of course now you can use cups as well.
2v2eBWL3oxJ21ND.jpg

Pretty, but does it work?

By the way, the old one is no slouch and still packs a punch!

The capable Badger 200 is a very popular airbrush among scale modelers. My good friend Robert has been using nothing but 200s (on his 3rd now) since the 70s. For model cars, it would be my second choice after the 150. Maybe I'll dedicate it to clearcoats exclusively.
Hope you like it. Your comments and questions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Ismael

Last edited:
I know somewhere on the forum you've blamed me for getting you on the AAD train Ismael. Here's where I return the favor. When you showed me the 200s you got it made me want to add at least one 200 to my collection as I didn't have any. Although I will only buy newer Badgers at very low prices so I can resell them, it's personal, I have a couple other early Badgers with the band.

The 200 on the left is a Badger. The right one is a Sears. This is how I got them. I haven't disassembled them and cleaned them yet. Neither jar has been used. I do need the pickup tube for the Sears. I probably have one here or I can make one.

It's kind of curious to me the band on the Badger is sideways from any other ones I've seen. Perhaps made on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon or may have been a new hire.

badg200pair.jpg

I don't suppose there is a vaccine or something to prevent AAD is there? (Except an empty wallet)
I fear now I've been exposed to it I might be in danger of being infected .....and it looks to be an excellent way to get that empty wallet.....

Back