For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Badger krome driving me insane already!?!?

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by doxiemadnessx4, Dec 1, 2012.

1. KenBadger

KenBadger Young Tutorling

DoxiemadnessX4,

First off your real name is much better :) Secondly - did you receive the Ultimate Airbrush 101 document I emailed you?
  2. doxiemadnessx4

doxiemadnessx4 Elite Member! Elite Member!

Ha! Yes, I did get what you sent, it was helpful to read and I did email you back also! Thanks! - Heather.

ps. The bears were sooooo close today!!!!!
  3. KenBadger

Geez Heather - thanks for noticing. Chicago sports teams are a very frustrating lot. I sure do miss Blackhawks hockey though. Stinkin' NHL
  4. KenBadger

So Heather, I'm anxiously awaiting your video review. Hope you didn'y cry at the end when the all the cleaner gets sprayed out of the airbrush. LOL. Really enjoyed talking with you yesterday.
  5. drobbins12

drobbins12 Spider Splatterer

When you empty out your cup, and let it sit for some reason, I will Put some water in the cup to keep the paint from drying in there.

Dylan
  6. doxiemadnessx4

doxiemadnessx4 Elite Member! Elite Member!

7. KenBadger

Great call Dylan. Also not a bad idea to keep a cheap paint brush and small cup of water handy - to rewet the needle/nozzle tip occasionaly. This helps minimize the accumulation of media on the tip that will eventually clog you up.
  8. airheadivan

airheadivan Young Tutorling

I know this is an old thread, but I have been experiencing the same problems with my Krome. I purchased one to replace my aging Iwata HP-C that had since high-school (1983). I felt it was time for a change and I kept hearing great things about Badgers new airbrushes, especially the Krome and the Patriot 105. But no matter the paint reduction and pressure setting the tip dry/clogging seems to be unavoidable. I found that cleaning the nozzle with a fine sable paint brush works best without the possibility of damaging the nozzle. Cleans it out perfectly as I can check it with my loupe and there is no residue or dried paint. I really wanted to buy American this time, you know support the economy and all. But I am kinda bummed out. Any suggestions?
  9. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

@airheadivan What paint are ya using bud? What are you reducing to, what pressure area are you playing around in.. Some paints don't do small fine tips or detail work well. Are you straining your paint also? To be honest, some guns just don't suit some peeps, but not saying its on your side but often when you've spent so long with a particular gun it just doesn't work well when swapping to something new..Each gun in essence has its own learning curve (even for those who have been on one for a long time) or issues that may need you to adjust style etc and that can be hard for peeps who have painted so long with one type or brand..Say that because my go to gun is the badger Anthem and have fiddled with various other guns and still prefer to reach for what I know so well yet know so many struggle with an anthem..It really does sometimes come down to giving it a chance, learning the new curve that gun may demand, changing up your norms..But saying all that, cld be the gun and perhaps its just not one thats going to run well, that happens at times with all manufacturers, if you take everything else out of the equation like paint, straining etc and your only left with the gun..Contact Badger and ask them to perhaps have a look at it..Or if you have someone near you also into airbrushing, invite them over and see if it does much the same for them, then at least you'll know whether its something that can be sorted easily..Good luck
  10. airheadivan

I am using Wicled colors with wicked ultimate reducer at a 5:1 ratio at or about 15psi. I have not strained the paint ever when I used my Iwata. Maybe that is what I have to do for the Badger. I'm going to stick with it because I like the was the Krome feels in the hands. Should I try different paint like acrylic enamel?
  11. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

At 15 PSI you should be more around 1 part paint to 10 parts reducer. The lower the PSI the more reductions you need .
    I have ran wicked through my Krome for years with out issue but learning what reduction @ what PSI is the key when you go to smaller nozzle needle set up.
    Also 5619 Restorer Made by Createx is great for getting all the dried paint out of the nozzle . Soak only the nozzle in it .
    But going from a .35 to a .20 is a learning curve .
    Com-art paint work great straight out the bottle But I am not sure what you are painting on .
  12. airheadivan

Wow, that is really thin. Makes sense though. I'll give it a try later. I'll have to try the com art colors. I can't get them around here I'll have to mail order it. Thanks again, real helpful tips!
  13. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

Yer as herb said, reduce some more at that pressure, when using detail guns at such low pressure and the paints a touch thick it will clog quickly because there is no ooomph behind it..Some reduce much higher than herb also mentioned at 15 psi ish..Cut a few squares off some panti hose and place it over the thread of the paint bottle and then screw the cap back on, this helps to strain it a bit each time ya use it.. Good luck.
  14. airheadivan

Thanks for all the help, did the 10:1 paint reduction and it's like night and day! Awesome advise, Thanks!
    RebelAir likes this.
  15. airheadivan

ran into an issue with my Krome again, well actually 2. I started getting paint in the trigger area. I checked the seal to make sure it was tight and it is. Don't want to force it. Also I noticed that there is air escaping from the air valve into the trigger area. I saw a pulsating pattern that comes and goes. I ruled out the paint and compressor. I immediately switched to my iwata and did not have a problem. I checked and cleaned the airbrush again and still remains. Some soapy airbrush cleaner in the trigger area is what alerted me to the massive air leak. Any thoughts or experience with this?
  16. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

They nearly always have that air leak at the trigger to some degree. So idk if that necessarily is related to your pulsing. The paint leak sounds like it's time for a new seal.
    Sorry I can't give much beyond that.
  17. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

You might need a new needle packing seal, not sure what the badger ones are made from, but although tight, could still be worn. Also are you sure it hasn't been over tightened?
  18. airheadivan

Badger sent me a replacement air valve and that did the trick. No more air leaking from the trigger. Great support from Badger!
    Squishy, HellBird and Robbyrockett2 like this.
  19. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

Mine always leaked a little, you could only tell w soapy water, never affected the performance though. That's cool its all fixed up
    What about the paint leaking back?