Badger Krome issue

J

japatoes

Hey all,

I'm new to airbrushing and just used my new krome for the first time today. Everything was going great until the paint flow and air flow seemed to be very restricted. I changed the regulator to the fine option and the brush seems to work fine, but if I attempt to use the ultra fine I get barely any air flow and no paint flow. If I loosen the ultra fine regulator air comes out normally but the paint spatters. Any insight onto what might be causing this problem?

Any help or advice would be appreciated! I'd love to solve this issue, so I can get back to enjoying learning to airbrush.

Are you reducing the paint. With my Krome I usually reduce 1:1 or so and only use the ultrafine set up.

No, I haven't thinned my paint. I was using Vallejo surface primer, which says it can go straight in an airbrush. I'll try thinning the paint.

I think my problem was using the wrong needle/regulator combo. However, the unthinned paint could explain why it wasn't working when i was using the ultra fine set up.

Most paints that say they can go into an airbrush are stated at a .5 mm size. The ultra fine in the Krome is less than half that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thats what the air problem almost sound like thinning the paint is a must when using the ultra fine needle nozzle regulator combo. Also be sure to clean the regulator out with a q-tip from the inside some times paint can sneak in there and cause havok. I hope you get it all sorted.
No, I haven't thinned my paint. I was using Vallejo surface primer, which says it can go straight in an airbrush. I'll try thinning the paint.

I think my problem was using the wrong needle/regulator combo. However, the unthinned paint could explain why it wasn't working when i was using the ultra fine set up.

Just because a paint is airbrush ready that does not mean every airbrush.
Also most every airbrush paint will flow great through a .5 needle set up but almost none will flow through a .23 or smaller set up with out extra reduction.

hey mate if that's automotive surface primer i'd recommend stripping your airbrush and completely cleaning it all out! thinner should get it all off, but don't soak the airbrush as there are some rubber parts. Clean it all out carefully and flush straight thinner through your airbrush several times. Surface primer would likely have trouble running through a 1.4mm spray gun let alone a 0.2mm ultra fine airbrush! Your tidy little Renegade Krome will only make friends with good quality paints like spectra-tex, createx auto-air/ illustration colors etc, specifically designed for airbrush use. If you want to apply surface primer look into getting a spray gun for priming, or at the very least a touch up gun with a larger head assembly/ tip size.

Back