Badger Krome Vs. Iwata Micron Cm-C+

I told you your new name is Mr. Mikrome lol and anyone who is looking to jump on the Krome band wagon drop me a pm still got 2 left in stock to go out. I had the same feelings about the velocity when that came out but figured for the price how could I go wrong. At that time I was used to buying Iwata and Hardeer Steenbeck so I was skeptical of $100 dollar AB performing as well as the renegade series has.

Yes I agree with you on a great student brush ,
I wanted to see just how low I could take the PSI and just how fine it would go. At 5 Psi this thing shot great.

The only thing I notice at that low of a pressure, and it's probably my lack of experience, is that I feel that I have to pull the trigger too far back to get paint to flow. Reducing more will probably remedy this. Now with my HP-CH, with the same paint, I have better feel, but that may be due to the .3mm nozzle. I keep swapping off between the 2 trying to see which is the best for me. Skill and experience are keys to good work. But how a brush just "feels" can also make a big difference.

I like all my detail brushes just getting a feel for them and using them makes them all valuable tools in my arsenal no matter what brand or size. They all have there own +'s and -'s and know the more I know them the better I am with them.

I agree with John. Just like know which tools make a job easier knowing your airbrushes just makes you that much stronger in you trade.
Kind of like taking a airbrushing class where they supply the airbrush , It may be a brush you have never held before but after your second hour with it you get better and better.
Knowing your paint, airbrush and reduction for the different PSI if 80% of the battle..

I have to correct you here Herb it is 81.5347986% of the battle I did the long math on it. lol Plus you have to think it's not all about the battle big picture is the war even though that is a key battle.
I agree with John. Just like know which tools make a job easier knowing your airbrushes just makes you that much stronger in you trade.
Kind of like taking a airbrushing class where they supply the airbrush , It may be a brush you have never held before but after your second hour with it you get better and better.
Knowing your paint, airbrush and reduction for the different PSI if 80% of the battle..

Needle Stops.... From day one I have hated the needle stop on the Micron. It always comes out while painting .
I now know why some pros have masking tape on the end of their Microns ,To hold the needle stop in place.

But the needle stop on the Krome has a small and simple fix that Iwata should take note of. An O-ring , It keeps the Needle stop in place perfectly while in use.

I too ordered a Krome after all the great things I've read about it here and it arrived today (thanks again Strictly...that was super fast shipping)! I've not had a chance to spray anything through it yet, but I plan too tonight.

One correction to make regarding Herb's statement above though.... I know the newer preset handles with a cutout for the C+ do have an o-ring on the needle stop screw (I ordered one for my C+ and B model Microns). That being said, the o-ring on the new handle does keep your adjustment from moving a tiny bit better... but not much! So, even with the "improvement", I completely agree with Herb on this... the Krome blows the Micron out of the water with respect to the needle stop. It is much tighter on the Krome which is a feature I really like too!

I too ordered a Krome after all the great things I've read about it here and it arrived today (thanks again Strictly...that was super fast shipping)! I've not had a chance to spray anything through it yet, but I plan too tonight.

One correction to make regarding Herb's statement above though.... I know the newer preset handles with a cutout for the C+ do have an o-ring on the needle stop screw (I ordered one for my C+ and B model Microns). That being said, the o-ring on the new handle does keep your adjustment from moving a tiny bit better... but not much! So, even with the "improvement", I completely agree with Herb on this... the Krome blows the Micron out of the water with respect to the needle stop. It is much tighter on the Krome which is a feature I really like too!

LOL See sometimes you just have to try it yourself to make a good opinion on it..
Well I guess my micron is an older model and masking tape works great to keep it in place.:D

But I want to hear what you think after you use it ..
I spent about an hour last night and I like it.

LOL See sometimes you just have to try it yourself to make a good opinion on it..
Well I guess my micron is an older model and masking tape works great to keep it in place.:D

But I want to hear what you think after you use it ..
I spent about an hour last night and I like it.

lol! Very true... I've always been one to try something before forming an opinion and I've tried a number of different airbrush brands and models over the years. My Iwata's always seem to take the front line again though. Suprisingly enough, I've only tried, and own, one other Badger brush (it's actually a Thayer & Chandler if that tells you how long ago it's been...) and I don't have many good things to say about it. No disrespect intended to Ken or anyone else with that statement either... the point is I'm still willing to shell out the cash and give it another shot. So, I'm excited to try my new Krome now and I'll definitely let you know what I think!

off topic buuuuut If you wrap the threads with a little teflon tape on the needle stop it solves the problem and lasts a long time Mine has the o-ring also but as stated it needs a little help

off topic buuuuut If you wrap the threads with a little teflon tape on the needle stop it solves the problem and lasts a long time Mine has the o-ring also but as stated it needs a little help

Good tip will have to give it a go.

Good review Herb, I don't have a Micron to compare it with, but what you said sounds spot on.

I have been using my Krome more and more. It's taken me a little time to get used to the trigger action compared to my Iwata. The Krome seems more sensitive, the slightest pull and the paint starts flowing, I am getting used to it and starting to like it. I spent about 2 hours last night doing practice drills with it and I have to say, I think I am getting better control with it than my Iwata. It just may become my favorite AB here shortly.

Last edited:
Here is the Black and white , I did last night playing around.
My Daughter drew this up and as you can see there are a few more character to be painted. but figured it be a good test for the Krome.
Just over reduced wick black on 20 point great/white card stock.
The one with the penny is just to show size..
P4110143.JPGP4110145.JPG

Well finished painting my daughters drawing and she loves it. I must say I am impressed over all with how well the Krome sprays and the fine line work ..

Anyway here is her drawing that I painted..P4140155.JPG

Oh this is a Japanese Band and they are guys ...LMAO

Well finished painting my daughters drawing and she loves it. I must say I am impressed over all with how well the Krome sprays and the fine line work ..

Anyway here is her drawing that I painted..View attachment 13702

Oh this is a Japanese Band and they are guys ...LMAO

That's some good detail work. I have yet to really try and put the Ultra Fine Nozzle to the test.
What type of paint/reduction were you using for this?

That's some good detail work. I have yet to really try and put the Ultra Fine Nozzle to the test.
What type of paint/reduction were you using for this?

For this one I used Wicked detail black reduced 1drop paint to 5 drop W100. Shot the entire thing at about 2-5 PSI

That is impressive Mr. M. And those boys need a hiding playing in their sister's clothing.

LOL it only took my daughter two months of bugging me for me even to paint this...:D
I agree a good hiding might straighten them out.

Looks great herb!!! Those boys need fashion designers....... Or a positive male role model in their life, lmao!!!

Josh
"Sometimes you have to let one slip......just to remind people your $#!+ really does stink ;)

Looks great herb!!! Those boys need fashion designers....... Or a positive male role model in their life, lmao!!!

Josh
"Sometimes you have to let one slip......just to remind people your $#!+ really does stink ;)

LOL I agree 110% my daughter told me they are call Visual bands. and the funny thing is they girls bands dress like boys... What is going on ?

Just received my Krome yesterday from our good friend "Strictly Attitude" good man to deal with, I must say. Took less than a week to get it.
I am safely becoming an airbrush nerd it seems. At any rate, my first take with the Krome was pretty positive, a pretty responsive trigger is something that will take practice getting used to. That paint flows pretty easy and like any airbrush it is all about the practice to get confident to go into tight areas of fine detail. Hope to put the small needle and nozzle on see how fine the lines can be...

Back