Badger Krome

So after using the Krome for two days i have some thoughts on it: first of all i LOVE the brush, after the chineese Veda crapolo brush the Krome feels like the real deal, the trigger is FANTASTIC (especially after a good portion of regdab lube), the weight of the brush is perfect, it sits in the hand realy well, i had trigger finger pain after using the Veda for a week, i have none after two day airbrushing marathon with the Krome, i love the trigger stopper, for a noob like me it's a real handy thing, the whole construction of the brush is great and it feels realy good. Dang i even loved how the Krome smelled when it was brand new haha smelled like my crafts class back in the schooldays of my ussr past haha.
But i think i got a lemon and here are my concerns:
1: The thread in the cup. Though it does not affect the performance, it is def a pain in the ass to clean the brush. I spent ten minutes scraping the paint of the threads (and yes i spray the cleaner after every color change, i'm a little obsessive with the brush cleaning and in the end of the day i make a full clean of the brush, well i like them shine haha) So this is a concern to me. I called the Badger help line today and the first person that answered the phone said that this is not a defect :(
2: The Krome came with two sets of needle/nozle one is super fine (came preinstalled on the brush) and the other fine (came in a separate package in the box). Well since i'm not that experienced (not yet haha) with airbrushing a super fine tip is too much for me right now, i haven't found yet the perfect balance between pressure/paint so i was realy looking forward in mastering the fine needle/nozzle first. Well like i posted before they just dont work, when i put in the needle and the nozzle the air just doest pass through the brush, i tried it 4 times and still didn't work. As i said i called the Badger service line today and the person with whom i talked first said that the thread is not a defect but after hearing about the needle/nozle problem she switched me to a tech who said that the thread IS an issue and the needle/nozzle problem is not right too, he said that i should send my brush to the factory in an envelope and said something about including a check in the package but i didn't hear really well the details so i preferred to ignore it ahah %)
3: The protective regulator cap. Man that thing just sucks, the paint builds up on the protective arms and spits in the middle of long spray sessions, and the worst part is that it's screwed to the Hold down ring so tight that even after 10 minutes of plier session i couldn't unscrew them, i actualy thought that i would break the damn thing, it actualy looks like it's a single piece (but the manual and tear down videos on youtube tells me that it's two piece). And how the hell do you remove dry paint from the tip with that thing on? It takes me alot of time with qtips to do that.
Figured this out. This was totally my fault. Wrong thinning and pressure. I did an thorough test with different paint thinning and pressure and the thing worked like a charm. Still can't get it off though.
4. The air leak. I got the Krome with a brand new Badger hose with an inline water trap. But when i press the trigger i can feel some air coming from the connection, as i got more into understanding how this brush work i switched to lower pressure and the problem disappeared (or i just cant feel it) i'm going to do an old school soapy water test tomorrow and be sure about it.

The leak disappeared. Probably didn't fit the hose right the first time
5. The plastic thumb rest. Well the darn thing didn't have a screw in it, the front of the thumb rest is not parallel to the airbrush, it's a little bit lower so there's a small gap. Not a big deal but def not something you want to see on a new airbrush. And i actually like this plastic thing, it feels much more comfortable for me to hold the brush with it on.
6. The metal seam where the paint cup is connected to the main body. I dont know how the do it (welding?) but the seam is bad, it's very wide and doesn't have coating on it so the paint just sticks to it and it's a pain to get it out. Maybe this is ok, i don't know, but i don't like it.

So this is it. I really don't know what to do with the brush. I'm actually thinking about sending it back to amazon and ask for another one. There is too much stuff not right with this brush and i don't think i want to try and fix it, i think i want another new Krome. Though i love this airbrush i have double thoughts about the H&S Ultra right now.

And here's something i did today with it %) my first try to do a "realistic fire" looks like fairy farts ahah
firecrap.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
3: The protective regulator cap. Man that thing just sucks, the paint builds up on the protective arms and spits in the middle of long spray sessions, and the worst part is that it's screwed to the Hold down ring so tight that even after 10 minutes of plier session i couldn't unscrew them, i actualy thought that i would break the damn thing, it actualy looks like it's a single piece (but the manual and tear down videos on youtube tells me that it's two piece). And how the hell do you remove dry paint from the tip with that thing on? It takes me alot of time with qtips to do that.

Watch this video of the Velocity.
At 11:00 he shows you how to remove tipdry :)
Airbrush review: Badger Renegade Velocity airbrush - YouTube

I want one of these but man after getting a bum patriot and now all of this talk I may stick Japanese. I even emailed ken about my concerns. He's gonna make my patriot right but who wants to keep filling around calling and sending brushes back and all that. I asked him who has the newest production lines so I can try to order a corrected one. He said he was at a conference and would email me back. Bummer it's such a good deal but maybe this is why.

If there's one thing that Badger excels at - it's customer service. They will back their product all the way and if you're having problems, they won't stop till they fix it. I've seen a few reports of things going wrong, but i've never seen a bad outcome. If your airbrush isn't working as expected, contact them just as you did and i'd do as they say. They're there to help, they don't want people receiving airbrushes that don't work.
One thing i'd recommend with the krome is the sotar spray regulator see item 2 here sotar 20/20 airbrush parts.
krome tip.jpg

I have this attached to my krome and it's so much easier to clean the tip than anything i've used before. you can actually pinch the tip. nice little innovative design there.
Everything comes down to price these days.. i'd be happy to pay more for a better brush but i think badger has made a great market contender with the krome. It performs at a professional level, but costs half the price.
Rufus, if you're having trouble, let them know and they'll fix it:)
wow i sound like a company rep.

Last edited:
I hate that your upset man, and I know where you're coming from. When you buy something new, you expect it to work right out of the box! Ken @ Badger agrees with this completely and thats why he is doing everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING to make sure these problems are fixed and they do have the best customer service of any company I've dealt with (and Im in sales and have dealt with literally thousands of vendors)! It is frustrating, and I promise you this, Badger will stand behind their product! I know this day and age its hard to be patient with manufacturers, but I will gaurantee you, they'll make sure they do everything they can to make it right with ya! If you'll hang in there with them, whether they fix your brush or give you a new one, you wont be disappointed with the brush, that I'm sure of it!!!

I couldnt agree more with the paint picker cap Mitch. Thats the best invention Ive seen on any airbrush!!! At least for me using only waterbased paints!!! Tip dry is inevittable and with this tip, it makes it super easy to remove the tip dry! I want one of these caps for my 360, patriot and 150!!! I couldnt agree more as well with the price of the Krome. No one on the market is selling a gun of this caliber for that price!!! Is unreal. Hoping to get my second one next month!!!

Hang in there therufus!!!

My Krome came with this tip also, and it does make it pretty easy to clean the tip.

Well the clogging of the protective cap was my fault. Wrong pressure and paint thinning. And the air leak is gone.

Hi all I'm new so bare with me as I am a beginner as well. I purchased a krome last week as I wanted an airbrush to use with my brush work Art so wanted some versatality hence the Krome as it comes with two needle sets. My thinking was get proficiant with the larger needle then eventually move on to smaller detail and the .2 needle at a later date. Krome arrived , really excited, had read about the problems but thought it was worth getting anyway. First thing I did was check for the thread problem, yep I got one:grief: I have contacted Badger and am now waiting for Ken to return so it can be sorted, he has emailed me and said he would. Not happy if I have to send it to the USA for exchange or repair at my expence for an airbrush that is faulty due to a production error. So to get me started I purchased a second hand Iwata HP C+ from a guy called tufty from Devon, think it may be the same guy on the forum. I wouldnt normally buy second hand but the price was right and even if I have to replace a few things it is still cheaper than a new one and anyway out of cash now. Obviously more expence but at least I have an airbrush I can use in the meantime to get started properly. The krome had good reviews so hence the reason for buying hope I havn't made a grave error in judgment:confusion:

the thread issue on your krome should not effect performance stan, just be a bit of a bugger to clean, make sure you get some of them little brushes on a ring from ebay, costs about 4 quid (do you know the things in on about) tufty is the guy on here and as far as I can make out he is a good guy so you should have no trouble with the brush...back to badger....parts are cheap, also when you speak to ken again ask if you could post ther brush back to him but have a new one sent immediately from his franchise badger uk

Mmmm that may be a problem as I had a bit of a do with the company I got it from and they wont reply to me now:upset: I think I upset them a tad, but I was a bit miffed as I contacted them to check befor sending out there was no threads showing yet they still sent me the airbrush. I was going to get a refund but like the feel of the brush so will just have to see what Ken comes up with. Tufty was very helpfull and I'm sure the airbrush will be fine. I did notice that the air valve piston, where the trigger sits, was worn a bit and there is a clicking as the trigger is pulled back where it catches but that is just normal wear and tear and I'm certainly not complaining I got an excellent deal from him, top man. There only a few quid so may replace that and put in a new needle at the same time. Do I need to replace the seal do you know if I replace the valve piston? Also is it a hard job?

I love my Krome. Haven't had the problems some of you are having. But I would like to get that attachment 'Mitch suggested.

Dylan

This sucks. Mine has the thread defect and the conversion defect.

I watched the You Tube factory tour of Badger and am very surprised that these problems arose with the krome as the Quality control came over as being top notch. It must surely hurt the reputation of the company especially if like me it was meant to be your first seriouse airbrush. Fortunatly this has not put me off Badger completely so I will await the outcome of my problems before making up my mind on them. I have heard that the Customer care is second to none and as as I said previously Ken said he will sort it and I believe he will. It is frustrating though, although I could use the airbrush I wont as I have been informed it is a pig to clean the threads out and really need to return it as unused. Hopefully I will have a satisfactory outcome. Watch this space!!

Well sent my Krome back and got a refund and will now stay with Iwata:D

I hate to bring up an old thread, but I was considering this brush. Now I see there are some issues that my have not been resolved yet. Has anyone purchased this brush in the last month and if so has anyone been having issues with the triggers and or the threads at the base of the cup? I see people arn't having spraying issues with the threads however If I'm gonna spend money on a product I kind of want it perfect ;).

I'm sure it would be fine mate...plus ken is now a member on here....he freely posts up his email address should you have any concerns.....I have the renegade velocity, its the same setup as the krome....great brush great value great customer service.....I may one day get a micron but every other brush I buy wil remain badger

This post may not be the most tactful and it may not make the most popular manufcature here - but it will make me the most honest, and it is the explanation of why there are threads in the color cups of the earlier production run Velocitys and Kromes.

The only real problem with the thread in the color cup is that you can see it! I know that may not make sense, but you must understand that every airbrush with a screwed on head/base has threads drilled into the front end of the airbrush where the head screws into. Only thing is in our initial runs of the Velocity and Krome the threads were deeper and become visible. This was because in the Renegade airbrushes design the length of the head thread that screwed into the body is longer. It is longer because it was being permanently welded to the body and we wanted to be sure it would not have any weakness as it was not intended to ever be removed. In order to be sure the head thread didn't bottom out the thread tapped into the body had to be deeper - to the point it was visible in the cup. (This was not as visible on the very early on Velocitys because they had the bowl cups instead of the current tapered cups.) Every airbrush with a threaded on head has threads up in the body - and paint passes through those threads. All airbrushes with screw on nozzles, regardless of brand, have threads tapped into the airbrush body. Thing is, the only way you'd see these threads is if you cut the airbrush in half to expose their presence. The threads are not a defect they are part of the way the airbrush is manufactured. Since the initial production design we have added a milling operation to remove the visible thread in the cup - but when the gun is made it is actually there. This milling operation was added to appease the concerns that were being expressed regarding the visibility of the threads. So for those of you that think this poses a cleaning problem - it does not pose a new cleaning problem, it simply exposes an old one that noone ever considered a problem before because you could not see the thread inside the airbrush body on previous airbrush designs so no one ever considered it a problem. I hope that all makes sense. It is not an excuse, it is not an apology, it is the explanation of why those threads into the cup are visible.

I would think most of the airbrushes with that visible thread are already out and distributed as the milling process has been in place for several production runs already - so it is likely a Velocity or Krome purchased at this time is not likely to have visible threads.

As this is not a defect, but has to do with the necessity to securely weld the head to the body, we are not sending out new airbrushes if you have one with the visible threads. However - if you would like a new Velocity body or Krome body, we will exchange airbrush body for you. To arrange this you must email me directly to kenbadger@aol.com

You may not agree with this explanation, I apologize if it is not an acceptable explanantion to you, but is the expalanation. Should you doubt the existence of threads hidden within the body of an airbrush with a screwed on nozzle - cut one in half. You'll see them. But first consider if I screw the nozzle/head on inside the body - doesn't there need to be threads in there for me to screw it into? There does, and generally those threads run anywhere from 1/64" to 1/16" deeper in to the body than the head's screw in thread, so you're always spraying paint through those threads - and there's always some paint settling in there.

I hope this realization does not keep anyone up at night, wondering if they have sufficiently cleaned their airbrush. You probably have!

the only way to get better and to master our craft, is to accept what we are told, and to try to understand all that we are told and what we do not like,, you being here and explaining what is and why it is truely a gift to the customer... i dont know you, but thanks for caring for all who do own your product..im sure everyones opinion on here is just a compliment or a complaint but it is all beneficial in the end for all invovled, after all the only way we can learn is through what we do not see,,, thankyou for your time... and may you progress in and continue to turn out a excellent american product, that will make us all proud to own,,, carry on,, master your craft and remember the customer is always right... and it is he who will carry you forward to greater expectations.

Back